Question Over protective? Car Seat advice for my 8 yo

NicoleRL

I have a daughter who is 8 years old. She is tall (53" and about 50 lbs) Up until last week, she was in a 5 pt harness Britax Regent, or a Britax Parkway SG Booster (I think we have had the HBBs for about 10 months). Last week, she asked if she could move to the HBB full time. I was fine with that, and it has been going well, except that for the first time, we have had to move seats around a lot. We live in Utah and by law she had to be in a booster to 8 yrs old. She doesn't quite pass the 5 step test (her legs are a little too short), so I am completely unwilling to let her go without a booster completely. I am fine switching around the booster, but it is driving my husband crazy. He wants to get her a backless booster. He doesn't think that it is worth the money to buy another HBB since she is 8 years old. I am uncomfortable with this. I will admit that car safety is my parenting neurosis, but my husband has been really supportive of all of it up to this point. Anyway, I thought I would come here (a place I have visited often for reviews and other questions) and see what a few car seat experts would tell me.

One more thing, I am not sure if it is just because she has been in a 5 pt harness for so long, but she is still pretty wiggly in the car. I am sure I could put a stop to that, though. We also take a lot of driving vacations, and the HBB seems safer when she falls asleep. I know it is very possible I am just really over protective on this issue though. So what would you guys do?

Thanks for the input!!

ADS

DahliaRW

A lbb in the non-primary vehicle is just fine. I would make sure she's in the hbb if your'e going on a long enough drive that she'll sleep, but other than that at 8 yos she's safe in a hbb.

You could also do a cheaper hbb, like the graco turbobooster.

aeormsby

I agree with PP. A LBB would be fine for an 8yo IMO, especially for a less used vehicle - as long as it's positioning the belt correctly and there is a headrest behind her head. And the Turbo would be a great choice, it seems to fit most kids very well and you can't beat the price.

StPaulMom

At 8, I would be totally comfortable using a LBB as long as there is head support in the car. As for her being wiggly, work on this with her. Especially since she wants to be in a booster full time, explain that this responsibility comes with rules, like not wiggling. If your car has switchable retractor belts, you could also think about locking them while you work on practicing sitting still.

MissAllyLou

8 years old is a perfectly fine age to introduce a no back booster, in my opinion. Especially in a non-primary car, I don't see the trouble with it. If you would feel better, if you have lap/shoulder belt in the middle seat of your car along with a headrest, you could certainly put her in the center seat away from the windows. Either way (side or center) it's still an appropriate seat for your daughter :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In general, I'm fine with a backless in a secondary car for an 8yo -- but you say she's "wiggly". (I have one of those too!) If she is *so* wiggly that she needs further containment, then regardless of age and my earlier generalization, she should be in at least a highbacked booster. I also prefer a highbacked booster for a car sleeper.

NicoleRL

Thanks for all the input! Sometimes it is hard to decipher my common sense and my over protective car safety tendencies. Since she has been the only harnessed kid in her class ever since she started kindergarten, I am used to being the one going the extra mile safety wise. We have had the "if oyu want to be in a booster" talk and will keep reinforcing this. Her dad takes her to school everyday, but all other car rides are in my car. His car has pretty good head support, so I will go look at lbb tomorrow.

I appreciate all the responses!

Nicole

babyherder

I don't think you're overprotective to want to keep your dd in a hbb. She'd be safe in a lbb but its reasonable to want her in a hb. I wouldn't necessarily buy another hbb but I think its reasonable to consider it. You're not insane or anything ;)

Kat_Momof3

I would get her a nbb... no question... you just need to impress upon her that she has to sit still, or she'll be going back into a harness as a main seat and the hbb as the spare.

autumnlily

I just did a booster seat belt check on an 8 year old in the Evenflo Big Kid Amp (glossy backless booster) and it was a fantastic fit. It also comes with a shoulder belt clip.

I recommend going to a store, with your husband's car, and have your daughter sit in the various backless booster seats and check for belt fit. Go for the one that fits her best in the vehicle she will be riding in it. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC