Would you go no-back for this 6 yo?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Typically I am fine at looking at the data and making decisions for my children that I am confident in...but in this case I need help.:eek:

My son is 6...he weighs around 65lbs and is 49" tall. He has been in a HBB for about a year on a daily basis and does a fine job of sitting how he is supposed to.

When this baby gets here (next month:eek:) I need to move him to the third row of my Yukon XL. I have posted before that it is kind of a pain in the butt for him to buckle his booster back there because the seatbelt is rather short and he accidentally engages the lock on it. This frustrates him a lot and then it takes him a while to take the belt out of the shoulder guide on his booster and unlock it. I can't really help him because I can't reach him and I'll have two carseats in my captains chairs so I can't even flip one of those forward to reach him.

The other day I had him back there and noticed how little space he has between his face and the back of the captains chair in front of him. Whereas my daughter who is just in the adult seat belt had plenty of room between her and the captains chair in front of her.

This got me thinking on whether I should just move him to a nbb to solve the issue of space for head excursion and the issue with the belt locking.

I do have side curtain airbags in the third row...where as if I didn't this thought wouldn't even be in my mind.

I don't want to downgrade his safety based on ease but I know of the study that shows no difference between hbb and nbb...and the head excursion room he has in his hbb does concern me a little.

ADS

Pixels

How does the shoulder belt fit without the back? Head support? Lap belt? Can you move the captain's chair forward?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
How does the shoulder belt fit without the back? Head support? Lap belt? Can you move the captain's chair forward?

I haven't even tried him in a nbb back there yet. I only have one nbb and it is a Clek that I don't want to use for him.

He'll have an adjustable headrest and unfortunately the captains seats do not slide forward at all.:thumbsdown:

Kat_Momof3

side curtain airbags help... but will he fall asleep? (my kids are big car sleepers, but I know some aren't)

at that size and height, I'm sure he fits a backless booster just fine... I'm just concerned about long trips.

I think what I'd do is put him in the backless for most trips, but for longer ones, put the back on.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I haven't even tried him in a nbb back there yet. I only have one nbb and it is a Clek that I don't want to use for him.

He'll have an adjustable headrest and unfortunately the captains seats do not slide forward at all.:thumbsdown:

Just pure curiosity makes me wonder why you don't want to put him in the Clek?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Just pure curiosity makes me wonder why you don't want to put him in the Clek?

It's an Oto that I bought for my older daughter in my MDX so it could be LATCH'ed in, and I could slide forward the seat it was on to allow access to the third row. I don't want to use it because it couldn't be LATCH'ed in, I don't want him to have to mess with getting the seatbelt in the weird guides and since it isn't "legal" here and it isn't needed for a specific purpose I would rather have a Turbo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC