7-month-old girl killed in accident

ADS

southpawboston

very tragic. i can't fathom that happening to a loved one.

i'm curious how the toddler got the car out of park? there's supposed to be a lock that prevents you from switching out of park unless your foot is on the brake! i wonder if it was malfunctioning.

broken4u05

very sad. I do not let kids play in the car at all. Sit in your seat when in the car. Or if we are just waiting somewhere the car would not be on at all. I would have the keys and again the child can not play with things in the car

southpawboston

just yesterday i let my DD1 play around in the driver's seat of my car. i'm not worried that there's anything dangerous that she could do. we were parked in a parking lot, and DW was BFing DD2 in the front passenger's seat. car was off, key was in my pocket, e-brake was firmly on and no way DD1 could release it. i'm sure others here would find fault with that, but that's something neither DW nor i have an issue with, provided we're there supervising.

skaterbabs

very tragic. i can't fathom that happening to a loved one.

i'm curious how the toddler got the car out of park? there's supposed to be a lock that prevents you from switching out of park unless your foot is on the brake! i wonder if it was malfunctioning.

Depending on the age and model of car it may predate the tranny lock. (Note: I didn't read the article.)

Melizerd

sadly my 98 doesn't have that. I had to have it taken it to have them fix it. I got a post card in the mail. I'm betting a lot of people didn't ever bother.

skaterbabs

I know dh's early 90's XJ6 doesn't have it. Which is why said XJ now needs a new driver's side door. :whistle: Dh got out of the car, taking the keys with him, without putting the car in park and setting the emergency brake and it rolled partway down the driveway. he caught it by the door, which luckily kept it from rolling into a tree - or worse, the neighbor's driveway. :rolleyes:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
About 13 years ago, my neice (3 years old at the time) was playing in my half-sisters car(everyone else was in the apartment, don't get me started). She got the car out of park and it started rolling backwards. She jumped out, went to the back of the car, to try to push it, so it wouldn't roll. She got drug under the car.

emandbri

How very sad! My oldest was able to take a car out of park when he was little. I think it was my dad's 96 bonniville. I traded cars with my dad because I was babysitting and needed to fit 3 which was hard to do in my altima. Jacob was usually in a harness but I had him in a booster since I had switched cars and I went to the apartment to run up and check the mail and he got out of the booster and put the car in drive and the car was on the lawn in front of the apartment! :eek:

Lys

Senior Community Member
just yesterday i let my DD1 play around in the driver's seat of my car. i'm not worried that there's anything dangerous that she could do. we were parked in a parking lot, and DW was BFing DD2 in the front passenger's seat. car was off, key was in my pocket, e-brake was firmly on and no way DD1 could release it. i'm sure others here would find fault with that, but that's something neither DW nor i have an issue with, provided we're there supervising.

Call me paranoid but whenever I needed to BF in the car, I always sat in the back seat. I was afraid someone may hit the front of my car while parked and the airbags would go off. :D

southpawboston

Call me paranoid but whenever I needed to BF in the car, I always sat in the back seat. I was afraid someone may hit the front of my car while parked and the airbags would go off. :D

that's not an option for us. we have carseats back there. plus the airbag system does not deploy with the key off. ;)

1girltwinboyz

:thumbsdown: Ditto my kids NEVER play in my minivan PERIOD. My boys are so rough and tough that they could break something very easily. And that would be MY fault for letting them do it not their fault as they are children and need us to teach them right and wrong.

So sad for that baby.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

We do this too. I BF in the passenger seat frequently, as we have both carseats outboard in the back seat and there's no place to go. DD1 also loves to "drive". If I'm someplace alone with the kids and the baby needs to eat, I let DD1 "drive" while I feed the baby in the passenger seat. Never with the keys in of course. I am absolutely paranoid about accidentally locking the kids in the car so if the keys are not in the ignition, they are in my pocket.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Well, I have to say that generally having a 2 yr. old playing INSIDE the car is probably more safe than having a 2 year old running around outside the car while you buckle in the other kids.. Am I right? It's not like this kid was left unattended for any amount of time. So, would all prefer this lady had the kid running around outside the car? Just curious from the responses...

It is very tragic... It's a shame things happen...

Connor's Mom

I am wondering why the 2 year old was already in the car but not restrained and in the front seat. I also want to know, because I think that I would notice, how the 2 year old got over and placed the car in gear without Granny noticing? How did the carseat end up hanging halfway out of the car?
This story, though very tragic, sounds fishy to me.

daizy

My two year old always climbs into the car while I am buckling my infant in...I HAVE to buckle my infant in first, and the two year old is safer IN the car than running around outside. Tragic accident.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
My two year old always climbs into the car while I am buckling my infant in...I HAVE to buckle my infant in first, and the two year old is safer IN the car than running around outside. Tragic accident.

Yeah. I may only have 1 kid(which to many people means "i know nothing about anything"), but even I know that it's hard to buckle in a 2 year old while holding a baby.. I've buckled in 2 2-year olds before and know that one has to be either outside the car unattended, or inside the car while another is being buckled in. YOu can't do both seats at the exact same time..

But I also wonder why the car seat was hanging half way out the door.. Was it not installed very well and when grandma fell she took the seat w/her? :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC