Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

7-month-old girl killed in accident

Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

Re: 7-month-old girl killed in accident

How sad
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

CPS Fanatic

very tragic. i can't fathom that happening to a loved one.

i'm curious how the toddler got the car out of park? there's supposed to be a lock that prevents you from switching out of park unless your foot is on the brake! i wonder if it was malfunctioning.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

very sad. I do not let kids play in the car at all. Sit in your seat when in the car. Or if we are just waiting somewhere the car would not be on at all. I would have the keys and again the child can not play with things in the car
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

CPS Fanatic

just yesterday i let my DD1 play around in the driver's seat of my car. i'm not worried that there's anything dangerous that she could do. we were parked in a parking lot, and DW was BFing DD2 in the front passenger's seat. car was off, key was in my pocket, e-brake was firmly on and no way DD1 could release it. i'm sure others here would find fault with that, but that's something neither DW nor i have an issue with, provided we're there supervising.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    very tragic. i can't fathom that happening to a loved one.

i'm curious how the toddler got the car out of park? there's supposed to be a lock that prevents you from switching out of park unless your foot is on the brake! i wonder if it was malfunctioning.
    Depending on the age and model of car it may predate the tranny lock. (Note: I didn't read the article.)
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    Depending on the age and model of car it may predate the tranny lock. (Note: I didn't read the article.)
    this is true, but i thought they've been required for at least 15-20 years?

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    this is true, but i thought they've been required for at least 15-20 years? since soon after the whole 60-minutes expose on the audi 5000 "sudden acceleration" phenomenon way back in the 80s...

Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

sadly my 98 doesn't have that. I had to have it taken it to have them fix it. I got a post card in the mail. I'm betting a lot of people didn't ever bother.
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

I know dh's early 90's XJ6 doesn't have it. Which is why said XJ now needs a new driver's side door. Dh got out of the car, taking the keys with him, without putting the car in park and setting the emergency brake and it rolled partway down the driveway. he caught it by the door, which luckily kept it from rolling into a tree - or worse, the neighbor's driveway.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

About 13 years ago, my neice (3 years old at the time) was playing in my half-sisters car(everyone else was in the apartment, don't get me started). She got the car out of park and it started rolling backwards. She jumped out, went to the back of the car, to try to push it, so it wouldn't roll. She got drug under the car.

How very sad! My oldest was able to take a car out of park when he was little. I think it was my dad's 96 bonniville. I traded cars with my dad because I was babysitting and needed to fit 3 which was hard to do in my altima. Jacob was usually in a harness but I had him in a booster since I had switched cars and I went to the apartment to run up and check the mail and he got out of the booster and put the car in drive and the car was on the lawn in front of the apartment!

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

just yesterday i let my DD1 play around in the driver's seat of my car. i'm not worried that there's anything dangerous that she could do. we were parked in a parking lot, and DW was BFing DD2 in the front passenger's seat. car was off, key was in my pocket, e-brake was firmly on and no way DD1 could release it. i'm sure others here would find fault with that, but that's something neither DW nor i have an issue with, provided we're there supervising.
    Call me paranoid but whenever I needed to BF in the car, I always sat in the back seat. I was afraid someone may hit the front of my car while parked and the airbags would go off.
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lodonal65 View Post
    Call me paranoid but whenever I needed to BF in the car, I always sat in the back seat. I was afraid someone may hit the front of my car while parked and the airbags would go off.
    that's not an option for us. we have carseats back there. plus the airbag system does not deploy with the key off.

Carseat Crazy

Ditto my kids NEVER play in my minivan PERIOD. My boys are so rough and tough that they could break something very easily. And that would be MY fault for letting them do it not their fault as they are children and need us to teach them right and wrong.

So sad for that baby.
    Tracy momma to
    Felicia Rose (1/31/2000) Tiffany Parkway - 9 years old 50" 60 lbs~!
    Zach & Josh (2/17/05) In MAs and FPSVD - 4 yrs old and 35 and 38 lbs and 38 and 40 inches

We do this too. I BF in the passenger seat frequently, as we have both carseats outboard in the back seat and there's no place to go. DD1 also loves to "drive". If I'm someplace alone with the kids and the baby needs to eat, I let DD1 "drive" while I feed the baby in the passenger seat. Never with the keys in of course. I am absolutely paranoid about accidentally locking the kids in the car so if the keys are not in the ignition, they are in my pocket.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Technician

Well, I have to say that generally having a 2 yr. old playing INSIDE the car is probably more safe than having a 2 year old running around outside the car while you buckle in the other kids.. Am I right? It's not like this kid was left unattended for any amount of time. So, would all prefer this lady had the kid running around outside the car? Just curious from the responses...

It is very tragic... It's a shame things happen...
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.

I am wondering why the 2 year old was already in the car but not restrained and in the front seat. I also want to know, because I think that I would notice, how the 2 year old got over and placed the car in gear without Granny noticing? How did the carseat end up hanging halfway out of the car?
    This story, though very tragic, sounds fishy to me.
    Peggy, RN-Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, CPST and Mommy to Connor (2/05) in a Graco Highback TurboBooster with Safety Surround

My two year old always climbs into the car while I am buckling my infant in...I HAVE to buckle my infant in first, and the two year old is safer IN the car than running around outside. Tragic accident.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by daizy View Post
    My two year old always climbs into the car while I am buckling my infant in...I HAVE to buckle my infant in first, and the two year old is safer IN the car than running around outside. Tragic accident.
    Yeah. I may only have 1 kid(which to many people means "i know nothing about anything"), but even I know that it's hard to buckle in a 2 year old while holding a baby.. I've buckled in 2 2-year olds before and know that one has to be either outside the car unattended, or inside the car while another is being buckled in. YOu can't do both seats at the exact same time..

But I also wonder why the car seat was hanging half way out the door.. Was it not installed very well and when grandma fell she took the seat w/her?
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.