7-month-old girl killed in accident

Connor's Mom

My two year old always climbs into the car while I am buckling my infant in...I HAVE to buckle my infant in first, and the two year old is safer IN the car than running around outside. Tragic accident.

That makes since. But, I still want to know how the 2 year old got over and placed the car in gear without Granny noticing?

ADS

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Well, for one, 2 year olds are SUPER fast. and grandmas tend to be well, kind of slow.. I'm sure my MIL wouldn't have noticed until it was too late. And even if she had, she wouldn't have been able to do anything b/c she isn't strong enough to stop the car when it's moving(i've had to stop my car when it was rolling backwards out of my driveway.. it's not easy).

My sister had the same thing happen.. Her DS was about 2-3, maybe 4 at the time and he was climbing out of the car when they got home and he knocked it into gear. The car rolled and nearly ran over my sister. The door hit her and caused some nasty bruises.. Things happen..

1girltwinboyz

I dont understand why you need to buckle a NON mobile kid in BEFORE a mobile kid? Am I missing someting? THe infant cannot go anywhere but the toddler can definitely get into trouble. I usually leave the stroller by the van door and put one kid in and then drive the stroller to the other side of van and put the other kiddo in. No one ever plays in my van. EVER.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
About 13 years ago, my neice (3 years old at the time) was playing in my half-sisters car(everyone else was in the apartment, don't get me started). She got the car out of park and it started rolling backwards. She jumped out, went to the back of the car, to try to push it, so it wouldn't roll. She got drug under the car.

OMG! :eek:

EzzieMom

I dont understand why you need to buckle a NON mobile kid in BEFORE a mobile kid? Am I missing someting? THe infant cannot go anywhere but the toddler can definitely get into trouble. I usually leave the stroller by the van door and put one kid in and then drive the stroller to the other side of van and put the other kiddo in. No one ever plays in my van. EVER.

She could have been at home...actually I think she was...so she probably wasn't using a stroller in her own driveway. It's hard, bc where do you put the baby while you buckle in the 2 year old? I guess she could have put the baby in a baby swing or high chair really fast while she buckled in the toddler and then came back for the baby. But then some would probably say that's unsafe too....your never supposed to be more then arms length away from the baby when their in things like bouncy seats, high chairs, baby swings etc.

I remember when DD#2 was still a baby, when we would leave WalMart or where ever, I would do exactly what you just mentioned. I would have DD#2 in a stroller, put DD#1 in car seat and then put DD#2 in her car seat.

This is a very sad story. Poor poor baby:( The g-ma probably feels horriable about this.

L-and-A

that is really sad i can see how it could happen tho... when i have more then one child with me i usually put them all in the car and buckle them in starting with the youngest..i figure thats safer then them running around outside where i cant see them

Lea_Ontario

Not everyone uses strollers.

7-months old is hardly "non mobile" - unbuckled, my 7-month old would pull himself up and likely flip himself out of his seat.

What I do when I'm alone with the kids :
- open driver's side door, Bug and Boo get in.
- they both sit and start doing up their chest clips.
- close door (child lock enabled)
- go to passenger side, put Bear in his seat, close door.
- back to driver's side, do up the big kids "bottom buckles" and tighten
- close door and get in myself.

Perfect ? No. But what other way can I do it ?

Morganthe

Maybe that is the answers for those with a baby and toddler - get a cheap umbrella stroller! Problem solved:thumbsup:

Actually, no, not really.

I won't mention how many times I've seen strollers almost hit by cars pulling in next to the parked vehicle because they didn't see them before the turn. Mom's in the vehicle with one kid and the other's just sitting there below the sight line in a little stroller. IMO, the best thing for all children is to be IN the vehicle, not around the edges of the parked car.

Parking lots are some of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians, especially children.

Then there's the little girl I almost hit today while I was slowly driving through the McD's parking area. There was a line for the drive through and she came running out of the building along the crosswalk just in front a large waiting minivan. I had no warning and she never even looked to see if any cars were coming. One second, nothing, next she was at the center of my vehicle!
I think I missed hitting her by only 2 feet. :(

She was about 7-9 years old and running to her mother's parked car where everyone was waiting inside of it.
Even after I tooted my horn, she didn't even budge from racing to the car. I was so scared after that. I think it added more silver to my hair. :eek:

arly1983

Actually, no, not really.

I won't mention how many times I've seen strollers almost hit by cars pulling in next to the parked vehicle because they didn't see them before the turn. Mom's in the vehicle with one kid and the other's just sitting there below the sight line in a little stroller. IMO, the best thing for all children is to be IN the vehicle, not around the edges of the parked car.

This happened to me in the Walmart parking lot. I am paranoid now. I wear Camille on my back in ergo and carry Jackson on my hip.

Jackson goes in the van before anything and then Camille and then groceries or whatever. Thats IF I can't avoid taking them at all. I am just extremely PARANOID especially since Jackson has started running away from us....

1girltwinboyz

Wow i guess having twins is a totally diff perspective. I have never had a problem with leaving the double stroller on one side of my honda van (or by the hatch when I am unloading small items that fit in the stroller basket). I unclip one kiddo from stroller, buckle in seat, then repeat. Then fold up stroller and put in back.

I guess this is typical VT - life in the SLOW LANE. People are VERY accomodating (sometimes over the top) when they see me with twins plus one;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC