Best options for convertible for infant in Canada?

WaterlooWools

We're expecting this spring, and are planning to get a convertible seat for our new baby. I've been doing some reading and based on the higher rear-facing weight limits was considering:
Graco MyRide65
Sunshine Kids Radian XT
First Years True Fit
Britax Advocate or Roundabout

But I'm not sure which of those have lower harness heights that would work better for an infant? I found a list of harness heights, but almost none of those seats were listed.

Are there other convertible seats available in Canada that anyone would recommend? The primary vehicle for the seat will be a Ford Escape (2008), it might sometimes end up in a Ford Fusion (2010).

And finally--I was hoping to be able to look at my choices in person without going to a whole bunch of different places. Which stores in Ontario are most likely to have a good selection of these seats so I can look at them? I've been checking websites and most of the stores I've looked at have no more than 2 of these models, so I'm thinking I might need to go a few places to see them all. :(

ADS

oddduck

Graco MyRide65, Sunshine Kids Radian XT & First Years True Fit all have low bottom slots. Britax seats do not. I have a MyRide and True Fit and the MyRide seems a bit more cozy to me. I personally found the strap spacing a bit wide for a very small baby in the True Fit.

Toys R Us/Babies R Us carries everything but the Radian (or did).

WaterlooWools

Thanks! The Babies-r-Us Canada website doesn't show the TrueFit, so I was thinking they might not be carrying it currently...but it may also be that they just don't have all the in-store stock listed. I know Sears has the Graco & Radian, so if Babies-r-Us does have the TrueFit then I can just hit 2 places. We have a Sears gift card, so I may start there.

Shanora

babyproofingplus has a good selection as to Dear Born Baby. Snugglebugz Also has a good selection, these are all in the Toronto area.

SynEpona

We had the Radian for our son, and did get it nicely installed (though not 'tech-checked') in several Fords (Focus Wagon, 3 different years of Explorer, Freestyle, F150 Truck w/ air bag disabled, and one time in the Escape), most times both RF'ing, and FF'ing. My family drives a lot of Fords :)

It is a really TALL seat, when RF'ng, my sister couldn't get one as she & her husband are both tall & wouldn't have been able to drive or passenger in their vehicle with their son RF'ng in any position behind them (they don't drive a Ford).

At the time we bought it, Canadian Tire carried it, but now I know Sears does, so that should be fairly accessible in order to try it out. I posted a different thread asking if it ever goes on sale, and the links in there were great for pricing, so if there is any way Sears will let you try it out in your car first, at least then you'd know if it was a good choice to order online!

mommycat

I'm pretty sure that TRU has things in store that may not be listed for sale at TRU Online, but don't quote me on that.

I have all those seats, although I didn't use any of them for a newborn. I agree that the TF is my least favourite for RF due to the harness fit. I used it RF for my DS2 briefly when he was at least several months old, and remember feeling like the straps were too far apart on his shoulders, like they might slip off. Others have used it without this issue. I LOVE the MR for RF, though I have reservations about how it installs FF in some vehicles - very reclined and on some seats there is an issue with overhang vs feet not on seat, and no final clarification from CS on whether this is ok or not, IMO. I would still buy it to use RF and replace if needed once the baby is FF. I love it that much. If your family tends to be very tall and make long babies, it may not last as long as the shell is not as tall as the TF or the Radian. The Radian is apparently great too, I love mine but only tried them out RF and didn't use them that way. I would trial-install first to make sure that you can do it and that it leaves you enough room to be comfortable in the front seat. They are very nice seats. :twocents:

Oh, and if it makes any difference, here is the expiry info: the MR is good for 6 years, the TF for 7yrs and the Radian for 8yrs.

geekKT

The TF used to be on the BRU website, I also noticed this week that it was gone. I'm not sure if that's due to new covers coming or something else, I seem to remember Trudy mentioning it.

I used a TFP from birth and really liked it, especially because of the removable headrest portion when it's at the 45 degree angle. That said, the straps were a bit wide for him at first - acceptable, but any wider and it might have made me nervous.

I'd echo the suggestion of the TF, the MyRide, or the Radian though.

ETA: wasn't there supposed to be an infant wedge available for the new Britax seats? I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone using it.

jeffersmama

The Baby Depot on Victoria Street North carries the Radian seats as well as the Britax line and I've seen the True fit at both the Zellers on Bridgeport and Weber and also the Zellers at Conestoga Mall.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
MyRide is at Walmart, BRU and Sears.

TrueFit is at Zellers and BRU .

Radian is at sears.

I think the MyRide, TrueFit and Radian are all excellent choices for an average weight/size noob. Just be sure to have a back up plan if baby comes out smaller.

WaterlooWools

Thanks all! We went to Sears & BRU today. The BRU in Kitchener has a pretty small selection...they did have the TrueFit, but not the MyRide.

After looking at all 3 in person, we're pretty sure we're going to go with the MyRide. I was surprised by how heavy the Radian was! And I've already forgotten why we didn't like the TF, but it was pretty instant dislike from both of us.

We don't know yet, but based on family history we're expecting that we'll make large but not terribly tall babies, so our kids are probably more likely to outgrow things based on weight rather than height. Although probably this kid will prove me wrong and be all long and skinny, right? :) But I'm pretty sure the only way this guy will be under 8 lbs is if he's a preemie!

We have a few months to go, so I'm going to keep an eye out for the best price on the MyRide. We do have the Sears giftcard, so if we don't find a great sale someplace else we'll probably get it there.

sparkyd

ETA: wasn't there supposed to be an infant wedge available for the new Britax seats? I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone using it.

My understanding is you can buy an infant insert for the new Britax seats. I haven't heard yet whether they actually do the job of making the seat fit a newborn though. I've been meaning to do a search on here to see it has been discussed.

cbf123

We're expecting this spring, and are planning to get a convertible seat for our new baby.

Have you entirely ruled out the removable bucket seats? It can be handy to take out the bucket with a sleeping baby in it and drop it onto a stroller without waking the baby by messing with the straps.

We did a lot of babywearing, but sometimes you just don't want to wake them up.

WaterlooWools

Yeah, we have ruled out a bucket seat. I know it depends on the baby, but I know a lot of babies who transfer out of their carseat quite well without really waking up, or settle back down quickly, so at this point I'm not too concerned about that.

I really don't like the buckets...just a personal thing, I know lots of people love them. We're pretty sure if we had one, we'd just use it as a carseat anyway...so don't see the sense in one if there are convertibles that will work well, which it seems there are.

WaterlooWools

Just as an update, I made it to our local Walmart today and found the seat still on sale for $130. Got the last one they had, and they're not doing rainchecks or anything...so if anyone else is considering one, you may want to call around or head to your local store ASAP!

So we are (hopefully) all set on the carseat front for a little while. Thanks again everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC