Photos of DS1 in Prosport

tl01

I took DS1 to the store today to test out the Prosport. I'm not sure if it is the right seat for us... but if it isn't.. I don't know what is. Anyway, the install was decent. I think I could get it a little tighter if I had more time. I installed it with the seat belt b/c DS1 is about 47 lbs. He has a 15.5 inch torso right now.
Even with the head rest on the tallest harness setting, the shoulder belt of my car seemed to slightly interfere with the harness:(. Also, I didn't have a chance to adjust the headrest to the right level for booster mode b/c he had to go to the restroom. Anyway, here are some pics of him in the seat in the store and in a 2011 Odyssey. I do like the lap belt position on him in booster mode FWIW. What's weird (and similar to the Radian) is that I think the headwings look a little to high when he is on the correct harness slot.

In the store. He would need to use the tallest harness slot but he is just barely above the 2nd from the top so I think that leaves decent growing room.
a5aaa6f7.jpg

Harness growth room
6a9e2569.jpg

Shoulder belt interference with harness
b1d306ad.jpg

Booster mode in the store
6d53bf27.jpg

Another pic of harness in the car
a00ef9df.jpg

ADS

Qarin

I sure hate how the selt-belt install interferes with the harness on this seat.

I don't think you have the shoulder belt routed correctly there in booster mode, by the way- the shoulderbelt should come down and through the same path the lap belt does over on the buckle side (on the right side of the picture, at your DS's left hip).

lovinwaves

We really like ours, and so do the kids, but we haven't had to conquer the sometimes weird seatbelt install since the kids aren't 40lbs yet (latch limit for Honda). Anyway, I thought the headrest was up a tad high for my kids too, but now I don't notice it. Hope you make a decision! Like I said, we love ours :)

cute little man you have there :)

tl01

I sure hate how the selt-belt install interferes with the harness on this seat.

I don't think you have the shoulder belt routed correctly there in booster mode, by the way- the shoulderbelt should come down and through the same path the lap belt does over on the buckle side (on the right side of the picture, at your DS's left hip).

Ah, I think I see what you are saying. I think you are right. It should go back through the belt guide where his hips are. I wish I had had a manual for the seat with me. I didn't get to see a manual until I looked it up online right now. That would probably help with why the shoulder belt looks weird. I love how they start the lap portion off the belt so far out. It is quite different from other boosters I've seen.

The interference from with the harness is much better on the top slot than on the 4th slot... but I still wonder what it all means. Does anyone know what is Recaro's stance on the matter.

Spam

Recaro says the harness interference is fine. It bugs me. It happens in both my 00 durango and dh's 07 milan. It's really bad on the lower slots, so I'm glad we wouldn't need to use those. I've sent Recaro pics of it installed in all four positions, and their engineers say it's fine.

Cute little man you have there! I don't love love mine, mostly probably because of the seatbelt install, but I certainly don't hate it enough to part with. He fits about the same as A does :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Wow, that seatbelt interference would drive me nuts.

I'm just popping in to say that I :love: your DS's hair! You must have so much fun trying to tame that every morning! He's so cute!

tl01

Wow, that seatbelt interference would drive me nuts.

I'm just popping in to say that I :love: your DS's hair! You must have so much fun trying to tame that every morning! He's so cute!

Yeah, he didn't have school yesterday so I left his hair alone;). It is quite a challenge. It's at the needs to be cut phase but he said he wants long hair so we are in a holding pattern. I'm hoping he'll opt to cut it soon.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Yeah, he didn't have school yesterday so I left his hair alone;). It is quite a challenge. It's at the needs to be cut phase but he said he wants long hair so we are in a holding pattern. I'm hoping he'll opt to cut it soon.

I think you should leave it like that ... it's totally adorable and it looks like it fits his personality!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, seat belt just goes under the cover. The belt interfered in JerseyGirl'sMama's MDX also, in the outboard position. I hate that.

tl01

So since I don't like Recaro's opinion on the matter... what does everyone else think about the seat belt issue?

Kat_Momof3

this is what Recaro needs to do... design a GOOD lockoff for the seatbelt/latch on either side of the latch/lapbelt path... and get it tested and approved so that you use the lockoffs on latch OR seatbelt... that would eliminate the harness/seatbelt issue.

cookie123

Me either. That takes it off my list. Is there any chance that it wouldn't do that when using that slot?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was gonna post a thread, but I'm having the same problem. However, when I pulled down on the harness (like I would when tightening it on a child, or like a child would put weight on the harness in crash) it essentially just pushed the belt out of the way as it tightened. I don't love it, but I think I'm ok with it. I'm on the third harness height; the fourth was better but still crossed. I think the bottom two would be worse.

Essentially the problem is that the belt tends to float above their designated "three point belt" zone, because there's nothing to hold it there. Not sure who thought that was a good plan... ???

Spam

Like an actual belt guide that held it in place would have been a good idea. The bottom two slots are the worst in my vehicle, the top is the least affected.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC