Whine: Swiffer Wet-Jet

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago, because Hubby said he'd mop if it were more convenient. It works fine, but the cleaning solution that Swiffer makes REEKS. And, it stinks for several days after you mop. I can't wait for it to run out, so I can replace it! He's mopping right now, and rather than being happy, I just want to lock my self in my room with all the windows open.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I use the basic swiffer with both the wet and dry refills, courtesy of Costco. I tried the spray one a year or two ago and didn't care for it either.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago, because Hubby said he'd mop if it were more convenient. It works fine, but the cleaning solution that Swiffer makes REEKS. And, it stinks for several days after you mop. I can't wait for it to run out, so I can replace it! He's mopping right now, and rather than being happy, I just want to lock my self in my room with all the windows open.

Agreed. We bought some wet Swiffer refills for our Swiffer. Still smells bad to me. :thumbsdown:

InTheWoods

I had a Swiffer and disliked it, kind of a glorified Always maxipad on a stick. (Really, compare the two, same company.)

Anyhoo -- bought an ACT! microfiber mop. (Queen of Clean rec'd it.) Cleans 99.X% of germs w/ only water. Used in hospitals. Throw it in the washer when done. Easy and minimal cost except for initial outlay. http://euronetusa.com/product/index_products.htm

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
What do you use instead of their spray?

The Swiffer pads are already wet, probably with the same stuff in the spray. They're in a box similar to the regular dry Swiffer refills and fit on the same Swiffer unit (better word?). And they stink. They're convenient but I can't stand to be around when DH mops with them (he uses them - I use a regular ol' mop).

southpawboston

could you just re-use the inserts? wring them out after each use and re-wet them with a solution of your choice before the next use? just wondering... we haven't actually used them. we use the dry swiffer for quick dust pick-ups (we're a two cat household, so dust and hair is a CONSTANT problem). for actual cleaning we just use plain old unscented ammonia and warm water, with a sponge, on our hands and knees.

Cindy&Connor

I was using the regular Swiffer wet for mopping. I love how easy it is but I hate how much the refills cost and I feel like I'm killing my family with all the chemicals. I had an idea and it actually works pretty good. I use a dishrag on the swiffer and wet it with a vinegar and water mixture. I put more vinegar and water in a spray bottle and re-wet as needed. Then I can just throw the dishrag in the washer. I won't say it's as easy as the regular swiffer but it's much easier than a mop and bucket.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I was using the regular Swiffer wet for mopping. I love how easy it is but I hate how much the refills cost and I feel like I'm killing my family with all the chemicals. I had an idea and it actually works pretty good. I use a dishrag on the swiffer and wet it with a vinegar and water mixture. I put more vinegar and water in a spray bottle and re-wet as needed. Then I can just throw the dishrag in the washer. I won't say it's as easy as the regular swiffer but it's much easier than a mop and bucket.

I like to use vinegar/water when I mop - maybe I'll try that! Our ol' mop isn't that great so maybe your solution will work. Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd try a little Charlie's...whatever their multi purpose concentrated liquid cleaner is called...I've been using it on my granite and wood now and the smell isn't bad at all (that is to say, I like it, and it's not strong)...I just use a regular swiffer wet and spray either orange glo wood floor cleaner or diluted charlie's on the floor instead of a wet-jet, though.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
The O-Mop by Method is AWESOME! You can get an all floors solution or a wood floors one. It is hands down the best mop/solution I have ever used. I got mine at Target for $24.99.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I used to use old fashioned cloth diapers, the type that are thick in the middle and thin on the outsides, as my swiffer pads. I put the thick part as the actual mopping bit.

I might have cut them some, but I can't remember.

The swiffer cloths smell nasty. I use whatever alternative solution I have handy, it varies, but I keep something in a spray bottle and just spray it before I go.

sirrahn

Oh, I agree! The antibacterial version does smell *a little* better than the regular stuff though...it's citrus-y instead of gag you flowery perfume. All my hard floors are ceramic tile so the swiffer does a crummy job on it anyway since it just leaves gunk in the grout so I only really use it for emergency quick cleaning.

Another thing I do for quick clean-up is just walk around with a spray bottle of vinegar and water and a microfiber cloth. Spray the floor and use your foot to rub the cloth around. Totally lazy looking LOL!, but it works pretty good. Otherwise I have to mop with the real mop and then get down on the floor and scrub the grout with a brush to really get it clean....tons of fun:p

arly1983

Has anyone elses floor been sticky after using the swiffer wet-jet? Mine have and I just can't stand it so I have been using the reg mop...

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh c'mon, Ulrike. What's wrong with your floors smelling like a pee-soaked Pull-Up with a few rose petals in it? ;)

mommy2jana

Has anyone elses floor been sticky after using the swiffer wet-jet? Mine have and I just can't stand it so I have been using the reg mop...

Mine are sticky, too after using the wet-jet! I can't stand it. They stay sticky for at least a day or two.

I thought the wet-jet was going to be so much more convenient, but I can't stand it!

skipspin

I let my Roomba vac, then just leave the rest. Well, thats not my goal, but its what has been happening. I have a reg swifter with the wet pads , but I bought the generic ones and they aren't as bad. I only use it for quick mops, though. I think I am going to try using a reg towel on it. I like that idea. (I wouldn't care if my floor did smell like diapers with flowers if DH mopped. LOL)
(nak)

joycemom

I havn't tried the swifer mop But I used the clorox one any it was ok until it broke. Black and Decker came out with some new power cleaning tools around x-mas and one was a mop and go thing of some sort but I thing you could use any cleaning solution and pads you wanted. I'll have to try and find it on-line.

Ok here is the link: http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Default.aspx?cpath=1499

It seems like the greatest thing I have ever seen as far as convinent moping goes. You could even do the vinegar and water with cloth diapers thing and it would work great. I would have one but the area I have to mop it still small enough that my taped up clorox mop will work till I run out of refills

Tracy

CPST Instructor
Be careful with the Swiffer solution!! I have a co-worker who had a small breed puppy and she used the Swiffer with the spray to do her kitchen floors. She is a clean fanatic and probably used it two to three times a week. Anyway, her puppy would lick the floor after she would mop. She swears that it killed the dog:( Apparently it has formaldehyde in it??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC