Question Triplets!

U

Unregistered

A friend of mine just found out she is expecting triplets. They have sold their vehicle and are on the hunt for a new one. The stroller she is getting only holds 3 Graco Snugride 32's (or she can get one that holds only 3 Graco Snugride 22's, but she would prefer the 32's).
They *really* do not want a minivan. What vehicle will fit 3 Snugride 32's across in a row? Even if it has a 3rd row, they would prefer to have them all on one row.
I found in the successful 3 across thread that the Dodge Durango 2nd row will fit. I made it to page 10, and just don't have the time to sift through the rest of the posts.
Can anyone help me by suggesting a vehicle that will fit? I'm trying to help them narrow down their vehicle search since they have 1001 other things to do to get ready! They are hoping to buy the carseats before vehicle shopping so they can try them in the vehicle before buying it. Obviously if there are more options for the SR 22 vs the SR 32 then they would be open to that.
Thank you in advance!

ADS

Pepse

I think I could fit 3 across in a 2006 ford explorer. I don't have 3 to try but have had sr, sr, radian

Sr, blvd and radian

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have never tried 3 snugrides, but I am pretty sure you could get 3 across a suburban/tahoe/yukon (bigger chevy/GMC SUVs). It has a very wide middle row and I can get almost any 3 across, including the big monster sized seats :) Don't know if they are thinking something that big, or not.

HTH

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the help! They don't have the money to go with anything too new (sorry I should have mentioned that). They are open to a bigger SUV, but are hoping for a Durango-sized one so that it's not a complete fuel hog!
Would you say that the 'monster sized' seats are equivalent in size to the snugride (with base)? I have a mitsubishi endeavour and I have a sr 22 on one side and an air protect on the other and no one can fit in the middle, let alone another seat. The bases are so wide!

Pepse: Can you fit SR in the middle with a SR on either side? Is it the 22 or the 32? If it fits that would be great because it would open up another vehicle to them to look for! She is probably on bed rest by the end of February so they have to get things done quickly!

canadiangie

Honda pilot
Toyota sequoia with 2nd row bench
GM tahoe/Yukon with 2nd row bench
Nissan armada with 2nd row bench
Ford expedition with 2nd row bench
Ford explorer with 2nd row bench

I think one of the most crucial things for them to verify is that their 2nd row offers 3 top tether anchors for down the road when the children are forward facing.

Qarin

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I highly recommend they rethink minivans. It won't be long before they need three kids in rear-facing convertible car seats, and eventually perhaps forward-facing harnessed seats, and then booster seats, and they might even someday want to take a friend or two along with them, too. Minivans offer a lot of configuration options as the kids get older, a nice large access door for parents to get to everyone, decent gas mileage, comfortable front seating, good visibility.

Not getting a minivan won't mean they are not the parents of three (or more) children doing children-oriented things, it just means they may not be as comfortable doing it.

mommycat

No experience trying to puzzle anything but maybe others can assess: I had looked at Impalas and the Buick Century and they seemed to both have wide, squishy seats, the Century at least had 3 full sets of latch... both seemed to have a very roomy trunk. I still think they may be better off with something bigger but those are the two regular passenger vehicles I had always thought would be decent for 3 across when I was carshopping.

SavsMom

I would look at a pre-owned Expedition - much roomier than the Durango and, if its any help, the Expedition may be a littler easier on gas than the Durango, shoot our Expedition was easier on gas than our V6 Grand Cherokee.

Pepse

Unregistered said:
Thanks for the help! They don't have the money to go with anything too new (sorry I should have mentioned that). They are open to a bigger SUV, but are hoping for a Durango-sized one so that it's not a complete fuel hog!
Would you say that the 'monster sized' seats are equivalent in size to the snugride (with base)? I have a mitsubishi endeavour and I have a sr 22 on one side and an air protect on the other and no one can fit in the middle, let alone another seat. The bases are so wide!

Pepse: Can you fit SR in the middle with a SR on either side? Is it the 22 or the 32? If it fits that would be great because it would open up another vehicle to them to look for! She is probably on bed rest by the end of February so they have to get things done quickly!

I have the safeseat which is the old version of the sr32/35. It rides in the middle all the time. I have had it in the middle with a sr32 behind the driver. I can also fit a britax blvd behind the driver too

U have to make sure it is the bench seat. I also have a 3rd row that is accessible via the seat behind the passenger

Hope this helps

abacus2

If they are set against a minivan, which I also strongly recommend they reconsider, and have a tight budget, they should consider a large car. I have fit several combinations of three across pretty easily in my '97 Dodge Intrepid. A large trunk can hold a lot of stuff. Even if the car doesn't have a shoulder belt and headrest in the middle seat, they should still get at least 5 years of use out of it.

canadiangie

I just want to mention that by far the most common thing my company is asked to help with is 3 across. It is extremely common these days (or at least where I live) to a) not want a van, and b) have three children. Doing 3 across in most mid to large size suv's is very doable with the right seat combination, and based on both professional and personal experience easier in some respects than a van. I know personally I have no desire to climb to a 3rd row to buckle. Having large seperated/dedicated cargo space is also nice. I guess my point is that this family isn't crazy for wanting an SUV. :)

zeo2ski

I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure if it would be valid in Canada.

Is the new Snugride 30 seat out in Canada? If so I'd highly recommend going with that. It is 4-30 lbs and fits preemies, which the triplets are likely to be. AND the stroller she got is called the Triple Decker and they now have a version of the frame that takes the Snugride 30 seats (DIFFERENT frame than the one that takes the 22's and the one that takes the 32's).

U

Unregistered

Yes the Triple Decker Stroller! That's the one. The Canadian graco website doesn't show the Snugride 30...so I think we only have the 22, 32 and 35. But the triple decker doesn't fi the 35.
They have several reasons for not wanting a van.
a. they don't want to drive a van!
b. SUV's have more cargo space (especially when you remove the 3rd row seating. The triple decker stroller is lightweight, but it's still big to fit in a vehicle! Plus diaper bags etc.
c. They live on an acreage and we live where there is lots of snow, so having an SUV will make it easier to not get stuck!

I will mention to them about the top tether issue. I will also let them know all your recommendations!

I found another thread on this website showing that a smaller baby actually fit better into the SR 32 rather then the 22, and the triplets will most likely be in the hospital for 2 months and wont be released until they are 6lbs at the least. So the 32 should be able to accomodate. The picture in the thread showed a baby that was just over 6 lbs.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

canadiangie

I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure if it would be valid in Canada.

Is the new Snugride 30 seat out in Canada? If so I'd highly recommend going with that. It is 4-30 lbs and fits preemies, which the triplets are likely to be. AND the stroller she got is called the Triple Decker and they now have a version of the frame that takes the Snugride 30 seats (DIFFERENT frame than the one that takes the 22's and the one that takes the 32's).

We do have the 30 but right now it's only available as a travel system.

I sort of wondered if this family lived on a farm or something... I had a feeling for some reason. Strange. Anyway, having a larger SUV makes pefect sense.

These babies can go from SR32's, into something like Radians or Complete Airs, staying harnessed until closer to age 6, and by then I'm sure there will be many more booster choices available. To that end, another thing they *need* to have is lap/shoulder belts in all 2nd row seating positions, and preferably head restraints (head rests) in all positions as well. Assuming they get an SUV with a 3rd row they also want to verify that they have at least 1 tether anchor back there -- just in case they do, at some point, want/need to have a kiddo back there.

littleangelfire

Mazda 5. :)

And I, too, would see if they'd consider something bigger than a family sedan simply b/c those kids are going to get older - and buckling 3 boosters in a backseat is awful. How soon are they going to be willing to be car shopping again? If they're okay with car shopping again in another few years, all right. But I think if you could perhaps mention the stuff that often comes with toting ONE baby, let alone THREE, they might start to think there's just not room for 3 babies' and tall their things in a sedan, unless there's just no other choice. I wouldn't want to do it every day.

canadiangie

Mazda 5. :)

And I, too, would see if they'd consider something bigger than a family sedan simply b/c those kids are going to get older - and buckling 3 boosters in a backseat is awful. How soon are they going to be willing to be car shopping again? If they're okay with car shopping again in another few years, all right. But I think if you could perhaps mention the stuff that often comes with toting ONE baby, let alone THREE, they might start to think there's just not room for 3 babies' and tall their things in a sedan, unless there's just no other choice. I wouldn't want to do it every day.

Look back and these folks live on an acreage, i'm assuming in an area that's gets a typical Canadian winter, and they are getting a triple decker. I don't think a 5 is going to be the ideal. A 5 is just a 3 with a puffed up roof. :p

amyd

Yep, I agree with Angie. I super pink sparkly heart LOVE my 5, but you're not getting a triple stroller in there with one third row seat up. No way. And you wouldn't get a Snugride installed in the third row with the second row seat pushed all the way back (which it is supposed to be when a seat's installed on it). I've tried it. Not happening. I can get a very upright Radian back there but not anything reclined enough for a newborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

I have been telling her about the air protect and the true fit which can keep the kids harnessed for a long time, so I know that's kind of what they are planning for. If they need to put one kid in the 3rd row at that time, I think it's ok.
I think it's really hard for them to think ahead that far right now. All that they can think about is the upcoming infants! I don't blame them. I was scared to have my second when my first was only 17 months, let alone having 3 babies at once!
If they need to re-buy a vehicle at a later date, I think they are ok with that. If they can get through the first couple years with whatever they buy now, at least it will give them a good idea of what they are looking for later.
And yes, lots of snow where we live. We got almost a foot in the last 24 hours! So an all wheel drive/4 wheel drive SUV is a must!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC