What Seats are These?

Emi's Mommy

I've asked my mom and she doesn't remember and I'm very curious. They were both bought new in Canada in the late 80's. Sorry that they are pictures of pictures but my scanner has decided that it doesn't need to scan things :eek:
IMG00003-20110107-1435.jpg

IMG00004-20110107-1440.jpg

Sorry they are so big!

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Actually, the loveseat was made by GM (general motors:)). My mom and dad had one for me back in 1971.

But I do think they were available to the late 80's.

Jonah Baby

I believe the Infant Love seat was also made by GM.
My partner rode in an Infant Love seat, born in '88.
I'm not sure I see a shell in the second picture?:confused:

Emi's Mommy

Was it as massive and heavy as it looks? It doesn't look like it had a handle either yet I see tons of pictures where my mom has me out and about in it. And I thought my bucket seat as heavy!

The 2nd one is likely 88-89 in the back of some sort of Buick or a Pontiac 6000, if that helps. I seem to think I had an overhead shield seat as a child. But it might have been my booster seat. It was one of those flip up ones where the lap belt just went across if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That second one looks like they only buckled the chest clip, not the crotch strap :confused: (look at the angle of the strap under the clip, it angles out, not straight down to a buckle). Cool, cover, though, whatever it was.
:)

Emi's Mommy

That second one looks like they only buckled the chest clip, not the crotch strap :confused: (look at the angle of the strap under the clip, it angles out, not straight down to a buckle). Cool, cover, though, whatever it was.

I often tell my mother it's a wonder I'm alive ;) I'm going to see if I can find a better picture tomorrow. Or maybe my dad knows.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

That was my first thought, too, but RF seats from that time probably didn't have 5-point harnesses. But then I looked again and you can see some plastic on the right that looks like it might be shoulder-belt adjusters for a FF combo seat?

My niece rode in one of those from the first pic. That was in '95, and the hospital gave it to my sister, because my sister only had a second-hand convertible t-shield. My niece was a preemie and weighed less than 6lbs when she came home! So the really old bucket-thing was an improvement.

KristineML

I'm going to guess that the second one is something by Dorel or maybe Evenflo.

Would they have possibly bought it at Consumers Distributing?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Looking again, I'm guessing the stuff on either side are the sides of the two front vehicle seats, right? Which would mean this baby is FF. I also think that might be an aftermarket cover. Notice the red strap above the baby's head, and the fact that the harness slots are too narrow for the harness?

What do you guys think, am I seeing that right?

KristineML

Looking again, I'm guessing the stuff on either side are the sides of the two front vehicle seats, right? Which would mean this baby is FF. I also think that might be an aftermarket cover. Notice the red strap above the baby's head, and the fact that the harness slots are too narrow for the harness?

What do you guys think, am I seeing that right?

Yup, it's forward facing, you can see the lines of the defroster in the rear windshield.

I seem to remember a car seat with that sort of cover though.

Maggie

If you look at the bottom of the picture you can see the silver quilted material on top of the babies lap. An old school bundle me? :p

Emi's Mommy

Defrost -I was also a <6 pound preemie when I went home from the hospital. My bear fit better in the seat than I did.

I'm definitely FFing in the pic.

Kristine -I don't think it would have been from Consumers Distributing. My dad hates catalogs lol. If I had to take a guess, I'd say Sears or Woolco.

Jennifer mom to my 7

There were infant seats back in 1971?

Yes:D But of course, my parents wedged it inbetween the 2 front bucket seats of the mustang:whistle: So she could see me. She felt if was more of a place to keep me, rather than a safety thing. Hmm, maybe some things don't change?

Oh, and to add, GM was really a pioneer of car safety in general. Too bad it has taken so long to catch on, kwim?

Athena

If it makes you feel any better, my parents told me car seats didn't exist yet .. and yes, I believed it. Supposedly my parents got something that my mom refers to as a car seat bed (but I think it just sat on the floor) for when we were really little and supposedly other parents they knew used nothing. And as we got a bit older, none of us used seat belts. :eek: Until my brother and I decided to start wearing seat belts and eventually we did convince our parents to wear them again. Yet, people have this impression that it's the teenagers who are irresponsible. :rolleyes:

nmb

Yes:D But of course, my parents wedged it inbetween the 2 front bucket seats of the mustang:whistle: So she could see me.

Which is also how my little brother rode in his carseat (I never had one). But for him, they did strap him in, using both the driver & passenger seatbelts crossed over to the opposite side, according to my mom. Leaving me and the driver with no seatbelt. (mom's words). I was 2 when my brother was born... so yeah, a 2 yr old FF in the front seat w/ no seatbelt but sitting on top of the one hooked to the baby seat. :eek:
[that van had no backseats, so if all of us were in it, someone was sitting on a folding chair in the back]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC