Booster problems

turtlemama

I think I might have to get a new booster for DD.
The seatbelt was touching her neck and I noticed the headrest was about 2 or 3 notches above her shoulders, so I lowered it to right above them. Now the seatbelt fits right, but the headrest seems too low for her head. I think almost half of her head is above the top. If I raise it a notch then it puts the seatbelt out of place, so I'm not sure what to do. Dh would be mad if I got her another one since that would make 3 that I have went through before finding the right one, and I just got two other seats for the boys. He really hates me doing this all the time. Is there a way to make it work? For reference, I have a Maestro next to the booster and the headrests are even. She is 47 inches tall.
Also the manual says that I can't use the booster if the midpoint of her head is above the car headrest and it only about half an inch from being over the back or the seat since there is no headrest. I think at that point I would have to move her to a captains chair, correct?

Also, not related, but where can I get a handbook to study before I take the CPST course? I am hoping to do the course in March, but I just don't study well from the computer. For whatever reason having an actual book to page through is a lot easier for me.

Last edited:
ADS

Qarin

I think I might have to get a new booster for DD.
The seatbelt was touching her neck and I noticed the headrest was about 2 or 3 notches above her shoulders, so I lowered it to right above them. Now the seatbelt fits right, but the headrest seems too low for her head. I think almost half of her head is above the top. If I raise it a notch then it puts the seatbelt out of place, so I'm not sure what to do. Dh would be mad if I got her another one since that would make 3 that I have went through before finding the right one, and I just got two other seats for the boys. He really hates me doing this all the time. Is there a way to make it work? For reference, I have a Maestro next to the booster and the headrests are even. She is 47 inches tall.
Also the manual says that I can't use the booster if the midpoint of her head is above the car headrest and it only about half an inch from being over the back or the seat since there is no headrest. I think at that point I would have to move her to a captains chair, correct?

Also, not related, but where can I get a handbook to study before I take the CPST course? I am hoping to do the course in March, but I just don't study well from the computer. For whatever reason having an actual book to page through is a lot easier for me.
I'm not realy familiar with the Harmony Dreamtime, but wow that sounds like it must have a short headrest (or your DD has a super long neck, also possible!). How is the shoulder belt fit if you raise the headrest enough so that the tips of her ears are back below the top of the headrest?

As for a CPST course study handbook... they'll give you a book in the class, and you really should not need to pre-learn everything- the material is pretty straightforward, and the book is not hard to use to keep up with it all, either.

ginny4

i'm thinking maybe a picture would help determine if the fit is good with headrest down or up.

if you are using the back support which you should...then you don't need the vehicle for head support. the booster with the back will provide the head support. without the back (just bottom portion) you need the vehicle to provide the head support (ears below back of seat)

turtlemama

Oh ok, the manual didn't clarify about the back support, it shows a picture with the back part on and a line saying where the midpoint of the head is supposed to be. I think I got confused.
I don't think her ears are above the top, but I forget. It just looks like her head is above further than it should be. I will try and get a pic as soon as I can.
If I raise the headrest a notch higher, it puts the belt by her neck. I do think she probably has a long neck.

So, is the course easy to do then? I just didn't want to pay for it and then fail and have to take it again. We are moving sometime this year and I wanted to get it done before then.

Edit: here is a pic from when we first got the booster, but it's in DH's car in this pic. I have it in the 3rd row of my Pacifica right now. I have the headrest a notch lower now and the belt fits a lot better, not on her neck at all.
66673_1672683136447_1218459240_1910356_2995953_n.jpg

68173_1672682896441_1218459240_1910353_6586877_n.jpg

Last edited:

Qarin

That is a short headrest. I would move it up to be sure that she has head support to the top of her ears, and let the shoulder belt be a little close to her neck (which is not a safety issue- the real issue with it being close to her neck is if it's so uncomfortable that she moves it off completely).

Kat_Momof3

remember, the belt against her neck (as opposed to ON her neck) is a comfort issue more than a safety one... I'd put the headrest in a better position.

turtlemama

Is there any way to make it easier to raise and lower the head rest?
I swear I almost broke my finger trying to raise it up one notch. I have to put my hands, palms against the seat back under the headrest, and then push up with my wrists to get any sort of force strong enough to move it up. If I try to lower it back down it slams all the way down, if I didn't put my hand on the seat to raise it it would zoom all the way up. It is very hard to get it to go up or down just one notch.

Last edited:

turtlemama

Im bumping this up since I still need to know if there is any easy way to raise the head rest. Also I think I may just get her a different booster anyway since now I am wondering if the lap portion is fitting right. It sits about half way on her thighs and the top of the lap part touches her belly. She is also complaining because she doesn't like buckling the seat belt and wants a harnessed seat. DH already said no to that, so I am contemplating getting her a Parkway SG since that has the clip that positions the belt lower, and hopefully it will distract her from not being harnessed. She sits fine as far as I can tell. She doesn't lean over way far or anything like that. The only thing is she leans to one side of the booster more than the other, so she sits kind of off center. I don't really know how to explain that better. The booster is't tilting, she is just closer to one side of it than the other. Is that ok?

Kat_Momof3

where in va are ya?? between all us carseat freaks and techs, someone should be able to help you figure out this seat (even if we've never seen it before and have to start from square one ourselves)

Kat_Momof3

ooh... figures... my kids are slowly but all too soon outgrowing seats.. and FINALLY... moms by me trickle on here!

anyway, Amy (lynsgirl) is the only tech on the list from our area... not sure where in our area.

turtlemama

Yeah I talked to her when I first came on here but she isn't certified anymore. She had me go to someone else in Chesapeake,I think. I'm not sure that person was really familiar with my seats since she installed the True Fit and didn't use the lock-offs, and some other things, but I forget what they were now. Now I don't have the GNs and got a CA65 and a booster and a Maestro, so 3 different seats from when I went there last hehe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC