Trying seats at BRU..

P1ally

I need to try an MR and MA in my car (not at the same time) and I've never tested a seat from BRU. What's the protocol? I remember something about leaving your license and just taking the seat outside.. Will they send someone out with me? Are they going to sit there and hover while I injure myself trying to get my 3 across?

ADS

rachelandtyke

When I did it, I had to leave my license at Customer Service, then I just put it in a cart and went out to try it in the car. No one came out with me, which I definitely prefer, too. Don't know if the policy has changed.

I definitely wouldn't want someone hovering while I try to do a 3 across!

Athena

At our store, they had me pull up by the building and brought it out and stayed their hovering. Next time I think I'll ask if I have the option of leaving my license. I didn't know that might be an option and would much prefer that.

There are members here who work at BRU so hopefully they'll chime in. :)

Cryssy Jane

at my BRU they make you leave your license at customer service and they send an employee out with you. I usually get the employee that either rolls their eyes the whole time, or attempts to give me commentary on what they think I'm doing wrong :thumbsdown:

Emi's Mommy

They sent someone out with the seat. She hovered and provided the ever so helpful tibdit of information that I shouldn't install any seat ever outboard because I have side airbags...thanks :rolleyes:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My store does it a few different ways.

The first time, a guy came with me and hovered and kept insisting that I could install with LATCH even though I kept telling him that my kid was (or would soon be) over Honda's LATCH limit.

Second time, a guy carried the seat out for me, waited silently and patiently, then carried it back in.

The third time they didn't have any employees to spare, so they had me leave my license.

heasmommy

Senior Community Member
At mine the guy carried it out for me, waited, then took it back in. I felt bad for him because I think that it was maybe 20 degrees that day and he was just standing there. I would have been happy to leave my license but the manager was VERY hesitant to even let me try the seat out even though several of the employees told him that they do it all the time :confused:

bethng

We just let people leave their license at guest service and they can take one seat at a time. Nobody goes out with them.....Well, except me when they find out I know what I am talking about and ask me to come. But its soooo hard not to touch the seats when they are installing. I am not allowed. But I give plenty of verbal direction. And I may have broken the no touching rule a few times...:whistle:

lorinick

At my local store they go with the seat. You pull up to the front of the store and they carry it out. I have no idea what if any advice they give while you try out the seat. They should be going out with seats.

rachelandtyke

We just let people leave their license at guest service and they can take one seat at a time. Nobody goes out with them.....Well, except me when they find out I know what I am talking about and ask me to come. But its soooo hard not to touch the seats when they are installing. I am not allowed. But I give plenty of verbal direction. And I may have broken the no touching rule a few times...:whistle:

If people are taking the display seat to see if they will fit, why can't you touch the seat? It would seem like a good idea for someone who knows how to put them in help the people judge if the seats will work for their car/children? I can understand not being allowed to help install a purchased seat due to liability . . .

lorinick

If people are taking the display seat to see if they will fit, why can't you touch the seat? It would seem like a good idea for someone who knows how to put them in help the people judge if the seats will work for their car/children? I can understand not being allowed to help install a purchased seat due to liability . . .

I think pp is saying she can't install a seat they may have purchased or may already have in their car. That would be for insurance reasons she can't touch the seat. She could and can install a floor model to show them because she would be taking the seat back out of the car along with her.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

There could still be liability, though. What if she breaks a seatbelt or scratches the car with a LATCH connector or tears some upholstery or something?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There are no rules about that. They bring items out to car/trucks all the time. That has never been an issue. It would be nice if everyone wasn't so sue happy in the first place.

Putting a box in a trunk is much different than installing a seat. I have hit people's cars with LATCH and tether straps more often than I'd like to admit. :eek: (Luckily there has never been any damage, but that's the main reason I carry liability insurance. I'm more worried about needing to fix someone's car than the chance I'll be sued for a kid being injured in a crash.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
OK, that makes sense. It's too bad it has to be that way, but that's our society today . . .

Yeah, it does, but it's understandable, too. If I scratch someone's paint, I SHOULD be responsible for fixing it. Obviously I'd pay without needing to be sued, but figure that's $300 out of BRU's pocket, too. Easier for them to just tell their employees to stay out of the cars entirely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC