Question how to store our infant seat (for about 2 years)?

mrdhollins

I've looked through the other threads about storing an unused car seat. We have a spare seat that is in our hall closet and it will stay there.

I've decided that we need to get a storage unit for baby gear/stuff now that our DD is a year old. We will probably prevent our 2nd pregnancy until early in 2012, putting our next LO about 2 years out. We are going to put the SR32 and its base in this unit. It is not climate controlled.

We never had any major spillage on it, no vomit, and not had any accidents (the diaper leakage type) in it. It was used for 1 year and has a manufacture date of 9/2009. Obviously, it has not been in a motor vehicle accident either.

Should I wrap the seat, put it in a plastic bag, leave it open to the air, or something else?

TIA!

ADS

Dillipop

I had my seats sitting out in my garage. Just sitting there. Then the mice came. They didn't do anything to the seats, but I found scat. Which had me washing all the covers, shells, and wiping down the straps.

Now they live in the upstairs closet, where there are no mice.

So, if I were using a storage unit, I'd want my seats in something. Not plastic, though, cause I'd be worried that any moisture would create moldy conditions. Maybe wrapped in a cotton bag or sheet? Just to keep random stuff from getting on the seat. (I've had mice in our non-climate controlled storage units before as well.)

mommy-medic

If it fits, I would put it in a pillow case or some other something just to keep the dust off (but not plastic). Make sure it goes somewhere climate controlled- avoid the attic or an outdoor storage shed. :thumbsup:

Also, When you go to use it again, be sure to check for any recalls. Not all recalls mean that you have to stop using the seat (though some do) they can issue a recall and change a warning label, want you to use a part differently, or send you a repair kit for something that was discovered.

mrdhollins

If it fits, I would put it in a pillow case or some other something just to keep the dust off (but not plastic). Make sure it goes somewhere climate controlled- avoid the attic or an outdoor storage shed. :thumbsup:

Also, When you go to use it again, be sure to check for any recalls. Not all recalls mean that you have to stop using the seat (though some do) they can issue a recall and change a warning label, want you to use a part differently, or send you a repair kit for something that was discovered.

Yeah, unfortunately it can't go somewhere climate controlled, we live in a very small 2 BR condo w/ no shed/attic/or basement. I'm trying to declutter the house so that the toddler has more room to toddle!

The cost of a climate controlled unit is double that of a non-climate controlled and is, therefore, out of our budget.

I have plenty of junk sheets, that we've used for drop cloths or are torn (thanks, DH) that I could wrap it up in. Good idea!

I will absolutely check for recalls before putting it back into service. Thanks for that suggestion/reminder!

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
The suggestions to wrap it up in a sheet are good ideas. You can just set it on a flat sheet and gather all the sides and corners to the middle and tie it up with rope or a zip tie.

Remember too, that when you are expecting your second, to pull it out of storage early enough that you have time to wash and dry the cover and pads, inspect for damage, do the recall check that mommy-medic suggested, and get it installed in your vehicle. i.e. Don't wait until you are on the way to the hospital to swing by the storage unit. ;)

rachelandtyke

The sheet is a great idea. I have mine in a bag (not plastic).

I would also try to put it in a place where:

1. It's not precariously high where it could fall on the floor
2. It won't accidentally have lots of heavy stuff piled on/in it (like Dh has to head out there to look for something and moves stuff around and doesn't recall what that was)
3. It's not likely that things would fall from a height into or on it

vonfirmath

we put ours in a big box. This reminds me I need to check it and make sure its okay because it will have been 4 years when the baby is born (No it has not expired yet. We have just enough time in it)

mrdhollins

The suggestions to wrap it up in a sheet are good ideas. You can just set it on a flat sheet and gather all the sides and corners to the middle and tie it up with rope or a zip tie.

Remember too, that when you are expecting your second, to pull it out of storage early enough that you have time to wash and dry the cover and pads, inspect for damage, do the recall check that mommy-medic suggested, and get it installed in your vehicle. i.e. Don't wait until you are on the way to the hospital to swing by the storage unit. ;)

I'm a total control freak :whistle:, so don't worry, as soon as I know I'm expecting, I'll probably go back to check and inventory all the stuff in storage!

The sheet is a great idea. I have mine in a bag (not plastic).

I would also try to put it in a place where:

1. It's not precariously high where it could fall on the floor
2. It won't accidentally have lots of heavy stuff piled on/in it (like Dh has to head out there to look for something and moves stuff around and doesn't recall what that was)
3. It's not likely that things would fall from a height into or on it

Good thinking, but I need to make sure it's off the ground in case of water leaks or something!

we put ours in a big box. This reminds me I need to check it and make sure its okay because it will have been 4 years when the baby is born (No it has not expired yet. We have just enough time in it)

I guess I could put it in the MR65 box, but I had my sights on using that for something else in there!

Emi's Mommy

Could it stay with a family member? I live in a teeny tiny house with no storage at all so my mom has agreed to keep the baby gear at her place if DD outgrows it before we move to a bigger place.

jasminegrl

I would if its in a area with high humidity take cover and straps off and store those in your linen closet or somewhere else in your home thats alittle dryer than a storage unit, I had ours just sitting on the floor of my daughters closet and its amazing how quick mildew can grow

aeormsby

I wouldn't worry about it being in a non-climate controlled storage unit. I've had my Marathons sitting in our vehicles (not garaged) for the last 4.5 years and that's more extreme temps than a storage unit would have.

I think the suggestions for not wrapping in plastic, keeping it off the ground, making sure nothing heavy is on top of it, etc are great also.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC