Question Driving for Pre-K Field Trip - what should my criteria be for boostering?

Lemonade

My child is one of the smaller ones and still is in a FR80 harnessed. I drove last year for the 3's class but most all were harnessed at that point. For the kids who are 4/5 and bigger, should I just use whatever seat their parents bring? I don't own any dedicated boosters. I have 3 FR80s but the would require a bit of rearranging - not a huge deal. I have no problem saying absolutely not to a LBB but if I think a kid is less than 40#, should I let them use their HBB or put them in one of my harnessed seats? Should I pick up a HBB just to have, since I would use it in the future anyway? I would love to stick them all in FRs but that would be getting the straps adjusted ahead of time or on the spot. Am I overthinking this?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm driving for a field trip for DD's class in a few weeks. It's the "Young Fives" class, so all the kids are newly turned 5 (within the past few months). I have three Radians, so I'm just going to stick all three in my car, and that's that. :p I have the excuse that it's really hard to do a 3-across in my Focus wagon, and O know that these seats will fit, but I'd probably do it even if I had a minivan.

I'd probably just use the Frontiers. I mean, you're going to have to install something - either the seat the parents send (if they send a harnessed seat) or a Frontier, might as well make it a Frontier and then you know that everyone's properly seated.

Lemonade

Not sure how many they'll give me. I can easily do 4 in my (06) Sienna. I know there are only 12 kids in the class and at least 2-3 other moms are driving.

I guess I can just run into the class the day before and measure the torsos of the kids I'll be getting so I can install the FRs at the right height and not have to mess with them that morning.

I have seen NONE of these other kids from pre-K in harnessed seats. I regularly see two tiny kids from the 3's class in NBB and some other 3's in HBB.

babyherder

I'd install as many seats as you can fit, including one of your dd's extra if need be. Better just to say you already have seats installed (as long as none of the other parents mind).

mum2two

I had to drive a 4 yr old classmate of DD's once, I know she rode in a LBB normally, but I had an extra Apex 65, knew she was only about 40lbs and set it at the same height as I did for DD, they were similar sizes. The little girl didn't even bat an eyelash at being harnessed.

I would use the Frontiers. They will all be harnessed and no worries about them fooling around, which may occur with 4 year olds together....:whistle:

Mommy2Marcus

I agree to just install your harnessed seats & be done with it. Then you do not have to worry about weather or not they're riding properly in their boosters.

My nephew is 4 1/2 & he rides harnessed with me even though with my MIL he rides in a NBB. He does NOT sit properly & never has the belt routed properly. Add that to the fact that when he & Marcus are together neither can sit still for 2 seconds, no booster in my car. He said something the 1st time, but every time now he just jumps right in. Marcus told him they're race car seats & that is all he needed to hear! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC