Keeping RF toddler entertained on long drive? Help please!

AmieRubyJonah

DS (16mo) and I are going away for the weekend by ourselves, to visit a friend 4 hours away.

Last time I did this trip it was horror, and he had his sister (ff) right next to him to entertain him! I'm stressing what he's going to be like by himself.

It's non-stop as it's freeway.

I'm going to attempt to skip his morning nap, and pray he will sleep in the car, but just in case, what (safe) things can I bring to keep him occupied?

Also, off topic, my friend has just found out they are unexpectedly expecting twins, babies #3 and #4. it was an unplanned pregnancy and she's really struggling, financially and mentally. I want to take her something, either for her and/or the new babies, any ideas? We're pretty broke at the moment to, but I need to do something.

ADS

Chely7425

Ok not the safest option ever but we have DVD players strapped to the back seat headrests for my rf toddlers. We drive a lot (like, wa state to Louisiana) and I figure it's more dangerous for me to be super distracted by them screaming bloody murder than it is for them to have a DVD player... Thats a parental decision tho. We also bring books and snacks and leapsters.

henrietta

Cracker Barrel. Seriously, before your trip go to a Cracker Barrel and pick up some fun little light spinners and rattle things. They usually have a ton of those types of toys, and they were life savers for us at that age. Party supply stores often have similar things. LeapFrog does have a few softer electronic toys that can be entertaining on a trip like that. And we have tons of books on CD and kids music CD's that both my boys liked starting at that age.

hths and gl!

henrietta

rachelandtyke

We just used a large bag of soft book and toys and would toss him a new one when he'd drop his.

He also slept quite a bit and we had music he liked, also. We also do books on CD. When I drove by myself for 9+ hours when we moved, Curious George on CD got us through that drive.

The biggest hit on our recent trip was when DH sat back there with him and got out a puppet to talk to him.

Also, having new toys or books that he hadn't seen before because those kept his attention longer.

Last edited:

gigi

I drive 6-7 hours by myself with my son all the time. The drive used to be unbearable. Around your son's age, I started giving my son my ipod with TV shows loaded onto it. It works GREAT. My son is now approaching 4 and I still do it and he'll travel forever with that ipod, some books, some books on CD, and little toys (especially any tiny flashlights...those are big hits).

momtoirs

We've done lots of 5-6 hour drives, plus a yearly 12-hour drive, since DS was born (plus, return trips obviously!) Books have been his favorite thing by far, but then, he has always been a big reader. One of DS's other favorites is something that we have always saved until last when he has absolutely had it are packages of post-its and dot stickers (like many people use to put prices on garage/yard/stoop/tag sale items). We put them on each other, the car seat, the car, etc. You have to be careful where you stick the dots, but the post-its not so much. Good luck! DS is now 6 and we've never done the DVD thing. We have had periods of crying and screaming (that have been absolutely AWFUL while they were happening!), but they've been few and far-between.

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC