Do I turn her FF?

jewlsvern

DD is currently RFing in a Radian XT. It is one that RF to 45 lbs. DD will be 4 on Mar 4 and she weighs 30 lbs.

Lately we have been taking her friend to school and her friend rides FFing. So I have let DD ride FFing occasionally. DD :love: it. So on the way home today she is begging me to turn her FFing.

All along we have told her when she turns 4 she can sit FF. She will be 4 in 7-8 weeks but she could easily RF til 5-6. Do I turn her now since she really wants to? Do I make her wait until her birthday?

Her reason to sit FF, she wants me to be able to see her dance to the radio.

What about safe stop on the Radian? Do I use that also?
Help? Advice?

ADS

msg221

Sounds like a total parental decision to me. You've had her RF way longer than most, so that is great. And she has already ridden FF at times.

Cute reason for your DD wanting to FF, but unfortunately, not safe for you to be watching her back seat performances! :D

And according to SK, you need to use the Safe Stop when using LATCH or the top tether for a child under 40 lbs. who is sitting FF.

http://www.skjp.com/simg/19544804.pdf

aeormsby

At that age I'd turn if a child requested it. You could hold off a week and see if she's still asking (tell her you'll think about it). Good for you for keeping her RF this long :thumbsup:

babyherder

I'd just tell her that you can't watch her dance while the car is moving anyway. Maybe just let her ff with her friend.

Lulu

I'm glad I read this! I was thinking of turning my 3yo around and forgot about safe stop. I probably would not have thought to install it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My DD will be 4 on March 5th ;) and is 27 pounds in a Radian XTSL. She's RF, and mentions occasionally (usually when she's tired or cranky) that she wants to FF, but for the most part she's totally happy RF. I want to get through the winter with her RF, at least.

AmieRubyJonah

I'd be fine with FF a 4yo.

You may find she wants to turn back after awhile anyway. My 6yo begs me daily to RF, but she's just reached the height limits for the XTSL.

Mommy2Marcus

I would be perfectly fine with her FF at 3. I turned my DS at a little over 3 b/c he kept asking to go FF. My goal was 3 & we made it there, so I was happy. However I feel at age 3 & up it is 100% a parental decision. :twocents:

:thumbsup: to you for keeping her RF this long.

StillThankful

Same thing happended to DD1. Since I told her that I'd turn her at 4, I kept my promise and waited until 1 week before she turned 4--yep...I cheated;) She loves FFing.

Mom2three

My DD just turned 4 yesterday and is now FF. I made her wait until her birthday because that was the deal we made. And because I was being a little irrational. I'm having a hard time with her growing up so fast. She is so excited and rode FF this morning. We will see how it goes.

mommy-medic

Syd will be 4 on 2-22. She is about 36/37 lbs. She rides mainly in a RFing XTSL, but rides FFing in a Nauti in the nanny's car, and I have a spare Nauti for my car as well. In the past month or so, I have been playing carseat swap a lot. It seems that she "prefers" whichever one she isn't riding in. :rolleyes:

Total parental decision at this point.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC