Has anyone ff to combat car sickness?

Lulu

Did it help?

After the second massive vomit this month, I'm thinking I might see if my youngest rides more comfortably ffing. Her Radian was so bad this time I might have to order new straps. In the meantime, she's in a Regent right now, and is telling me she doesn't want her seat back because she likes to see where we are going.

She just turned three in November and is probably about 35lbs fully dressed. My seat will hold her until 45lbs, so I'm really not sure I want to give up just yet. Any thoughts?

ADS

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
At that age/weight if it truly helps the car sickness I would feel comfortable having her FFing. Feel good about keeping her RFing this long! It is at least worth trying to see if it makes a difference, if not I guess you'd have to investigate other potential causes.

cookie123

Can you put her in the middle? Seeing out the front should help. Did you try ginger? That works according to mythbusters.:)

Lulu

Ginger? In what form?

Being the middle wouldn't work for rfing, but it might help if she's ffing and still getting sick.

Mom2FiveGirls

At her age and weight I would feel comfortable FFing her if it helped with the car sickness. I know kids are safer rear facing as long as possible but a 3 year old, 35 pound child in a properly installed/used forward facing seat is safe. And cleaning up puke on a car seat repeatedly is a huge pain (DD4 would get gagged VERY easily and threw up several times a week for over a year until they removed her tonsils so I've had more than my fair share of cleaning up puked in car seats!).

babyherder

I'd try her rf in a different position in the car. Or maybe in a different seat (if you have one). Do you have the xtsl? If so, maybe she would do better in a seat without wings so she could see more. If she's still getting car sick rf after trying this stuff then I wouldn't feel bad about turning her.

aeormsby

If you have another RF seat maybe try her in that - is your Radian very reclined? Since I know sometimes it's hard to get Radians more upright when RF if another RF seat would be more upright (so she could see better) it might help. But at 3yo and over 30lb I wouldn't think twice about FF her if you don't have another seat to try and it seems like it would be an ongoing issue. My DS just turned 3 and is about 30lb and we turned him FF in one of our vehicles, and we only have 33lb RF seats so he'll be turning soon in our main vehicle also. Making it to age 3 is awesome IMO and past that is great, but I wouldn't make things difficult to keep RF past 3 (like cleaning up puke on a regular basis or buying a new seat if the current one is outgrown RF).

cookie123

Ginger? In what form?

Being the middle wouldn't work for rfing, but it might help if she's ffing and still getting sick.

It can be ginger ale, ginger cookie - that's all I can think of right now. It has to have real ginger in it. A pill, but that probably wouldn't work for a 3 year old.

I have a thread about this somewhere... I'm very much convinced that the headwings on Olivia's BLVD cause the car sickness (not RFing as my mom claimed) because she's never puked in my car in 3 or 4 other seats with no headwings yet she was puking 3x/week in my mom's car in the BLVD and turning it forward didn't really help either because she's done it a few times since then...

I'm on the fence about lollipops in the car but if the kid is older and they do fine with them, I guess it's your parental choice.

If you're cool with her having a lollipop in the car why don't you search for Preggie Pops. They have a ginger one in the packet as well as some other flavors that help nausea. I have tried them, they are good! my friend sold them at the counter in her baby boutique. The ginger one is a little spicy though... I'm guessing they are fine for kids? I don't see why not but I guess you can do a search. You could probably find other ginger candy too.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
My kids will eat (and love) crystalized candied ginger. I got it when I was in my first trimester and had morning sickness with the baby. It did help!

That said, I would be just fine forward facing a 3yr. old 35lbs child who was complaining of motion sickness. It's a pretty awful feeling to have all the time in the car!

SavsMom

I had to FF my daughter at 2 1/2 because her car sickness got so bad. Hers got really bad when I went back to work and had to drive on the highway for a half hour to get her to the babysitter - no less than a mile down the highway and she was throwing up, every time, without fail. I tried different toys, a dvd player, installing her seat more reclined or more upright and nothing seemed to help. I finally had to make the choice to turn her FF and it stopped pretty much right away :( It stinks because I really really was shooting to get her to 3 rear facing, I still try to give myself credit for getting her to 2 1/2 - its a lot better than forward facing at 1 :thumbsup:

Try different install angles on her seat, try toys or distractions, and if it doesn't seem to stop then make your decision. Also, give yourself credit for getting her to 3 rear facing, thats 2 years longer than most parents make it :thumbsup:

Lulu

Thanks everyone.

She does have the head wings, but unfortunately she is my youngest and I only have one convertible. I was expecting the general consensus to be that I keep her rfing until the weight limit, so I am definitely glad most people think she'll still be really safe if I decide I need to ff.

babyherder

Personally, I'd see about selling the seat with headwings and getting her a seat without them to rf in. But that would be my personal decision. It doesn't mean a 3 year old is unsafe ff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC