A personal story - car seats saved my children.

KatieMB

Well, properly installed and used car seats saved my children.

Hi, I'm Katie. Mom to 2 boys, 3 1/2 and 10 months. Long time lurker (you guys intimidate me!).

I'm a parent, not a tech. I have always, always been big on car safety - I refuse to even turn the car on until everyone in my car is buckled (much to the dismay of my husband). When we had kids I knew to use carseats but I did not know how many rules there were! I attempted to install our bucket seat RF myself, thought it was fine. When I delivered at the hospital we heard about their program babys first ride. They offered to come out to the parking lot before we went home with baby, check the install and give us tips. I had installed the seat totally wrong. So, they fixed it.

Second baby. Reconfigured and installed both seats. Had the 2nd baby, tech checked the seats. Again, not right. I had the latch twisted, seat wasn't inclined well enough, FF seat latch was twisted as well, wasn't tight enough.

I'm not a slow person, I read the manuals. I know you guys are all nuts about this and have it down but I really think I'm actually BETTER than most parents about this kind of stuff and I still did it wrong. Tech fixed the seats.

Six months later this was our car:

5014690263_fb35f2cdd5.jpg

A drunk driver slammed into the rear quarter panel of our car on the Interstate and sent us spinning at 55mph until we slammed into a cement barrier head on. At one point I saw that barrier parallell with my passenger window and thought my 10 month old and I were going to die.

My husband and I had a lot of injuries from that accident. He couldn't walk immediately following it and was off work for 3 weeks undergoing physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic work and more.

I'm still attenting physical therapy for a separated shoulder among other things.

The boys? Perfectly and 100% fine. My oldest had a minor abrasion, smaller than a penny, on his shoulder area from his harness strap. He was 3 at the time, 39lbs and 39" and FF in a Fisher Price Safe Voyage. The baby was 6 months and RF in a Snugride.

I hope I put this post in the appropriate forum, but I just wanted to say "thank you" to all the techs out there. Our tech saved our children, I have no doubt about that.

ADS

Baylor

Thanks so much for your story!! I am just like you. read the manuals, have always been nuts about car safety and yet I came here and found out there was a lot I had done wrong. I was so glad to find this place and learn the correct way to keep the kids and everyone safe in my car!!

I am so glad you are all okay and that the children were safe through the crash.

Thanks so mucch for your story!!

ctbcleveland

Thank you for sharing - and please don't be intimidated by the folks on this site. Many (perhaps most) of us aren't techs and share the same passion that you do for child passenger safety.

By the way, Britax (maker of your FP seat) and Graco might both be interested in seeing your crashed seats in your still have them. They can learn quite a bit by seeing how the seat performed in a crash. It sounds like the seats did exactly what they were supposed to.

KatieMB

Thank you for sharing - and please don't be intimidated by the folks on this site. Many (perhaps most) of us aren't techs and share the same passion that you do for child passenger safety.

By the way, Britax (maker of your FP seat) and Graco might both be interested in seeing your crashed seats in your still have them. They can learn quite a bit by seeing how the seat performed in a crash. It sounds like the seats did exactly what they were supposed to.

Never thought of that! I actually do still have them. They are in the garage waiting on the next BRU trade in event, lol.

firemomof3

Thank you very much for sharing your story. So glad to hear that you all are OK, that is so scary :(
Have you picked out new seats?

KatieMB

Yes, I replaced them with RadianXTSL's. Baby is RF in one and older child is FF. No point buying a bucket when the baby was 6 months and over 20lbs anyway.

Kat_Momof3

that's wonderful your kids were so well protected... if you haven't already, I encourage you to get your seats checked again.

Oh, and remember, your 3.5yr old could probably be rearfacing if you wanted.... if not, and under 40lbs, make sure you are using the safestop.

KatieMB

if you haven't already, I encourage you to get your seats checked again.

Oh, it's the first thing we did. The Radian's were a PITA to install.

Oh, and remember, your 3.5yr old could probably be rearfacing if you wanted.... if not, and under 40lbs, make sure you are using the safestop.

Yeah, we can't RF two seats in either of our cars. I drive a Matrix and the only spot we can RF is behind the passenger b/c center or driver affects the driver seat and then no one can drive the car.... lol.

And, DH is super tall so he can't have a RF seat behind him in the accord (especially not a Radian) and it won't fit center either without hitting his seat.

We are using the safestop although I think it needs to come off. 3 1/2 year old is 40lbs and 40" now.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad you're children are ok and you and your husband are recovering.

Please take the time to call or send a note to the tech who helped you out, it's stories like this that make us love what we do.

KatieMB

Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad you're children are ok and you and your husband are recovering.

Please take the time to call or send a note to the tech who helped you out, it's stories like this that make us love what we do.

Oh it was one of the first things we did. She's become a personal friend of ours :)

cookie123

Thanks for sharing your story. That sounds very scary. I hope you guys make a full recovery and am glad your kiddos were safe and sound.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC