RSTV or not?

jnamommy

I am still trying to decide if I want to purchase a RSTV for ds before our trip to Hawaii in March. Pros - one less seat to haul through the airports. We could also use it after we are home for friends. Cons - He would sit in nothing on the plane. For that long of a flight (and the return flight will be overnight), would he be better off with a carseat, to be more comfy and sleep better? Will he be able to see out the windows of the rental vehicle without a carseat?

I see people say the RSTV is great for travel, but a PITA for everyday. Why is it such a PITA for everyday? We will be there for 2 weeks - will I get sick of hooking him up every time we go somehere, if we are in and out of the vehicle a lot? No one locally sells it that I know of, so i can't go and take a look at it.

So what would you do? RSTV or bring along of his carseats (for him, I have a Radian, Nautilus, and Maestro)?

thanks

ADS

rachelandtyke

Seeing as your only seat isn't something like a Frontier, I'd bring one you have - either the Radian (and get the carry straps to make it easier to bring through the airport) or the Maestro and stick it on the stroller or a luggage cart. (you can searcn in the travel and special needs forum to get ideas of how people have traveled with 2 kids and 2 seats).

My DD has been sitting in the seat herself since she was 4 1/2 when we fly to my parents' house as we have seats there, but it definitely is not as comfy for her to sleep. For a long flight like that, especially an overnight, I'd go ahead and bring a seat for him.

Kat_Momof3

I'd bring the maestro... so lightweight

the inconvenience for daily use is the constant putting on/taking off of the vest... it's not the same as a harnessed seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would totally take the Radian. It's heavy, yes, but since it folds it's really easy to stick it on a stroller or luggage cart - it's not too heavy just to carry onto the plane, yk?

My dd rode in a Radian when we flew to Alaska when she was 6 (and the size of an average 4yo.) I was SO glad I'd bought it for the trip; she was very comfortable on the plane and could easily sleep in it, which of course made her mood much more pleasant.

Athena

I just wrote this on the other rstv thread and it directly relates to your question:
"It was really nice to fly with and well worth the money to me to only have to bring one car seat (for DD2) on the plane. However, although it was much easier to fly with, I found it less convenient to use in the car because it had more steps (or if I took the shortcut of not uninstalling it, it was harder to get the crotch strap under her). For that reason, I personally wouldn't want to use it when not traveling."
I hope this helps to clarify.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have used 2 RSTVs for exactly the same trip as you. My IL takes the whole fmaily to Hawaii every other year for 1.5-2 weeks. I have used the RSTV for at least 1 of my kids the last several times. It can be a slight bit of a PIA but not enough to justify hauling an extra seat, if they can sit on the plane alone. It is nice to have the extra carseat on the plane, but when you have to take 2/3/4 carseats, it gets to be really hard if there is an easier alternative. The reason it can be a pain is they have to take it on and off each time. I leave it in the car with the tether hooked up and the shoulder belt in the clip, adn it takes the same amount of time as a harnessed seat, once you get the hang of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC