Turns out he doesnt want to FF..

turtlemama

So after riding FF from the time he was about 14 months old, DS decides he wants to stay in his RF CA forever and ever and ever lol. The only problem is, I just went and got him a Maestro so my other DS could have the CA. DS1 didn't even want to try and sit in the Maestro. So I told him as long as he is the only one riding and I don't have the babies, he can stay RF.

Only problem is that he is almost too tall to ride RF in that seat. So I was wondering, which is safer? FF or riding RF when you have barely outgrown it by height? He still has a long way to go weight wise since he is small for his age. I just wish the height thing wasn't an issue. Hopefully this won't be a problem for a few months, unless he has another growth spurt.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This is your 4yo? He is much, much, much safer FFing than in a seat that is outgrown RFing. I think the CA is the tallest seat for RFing -- I know it's taller than the Radian and think it's taller than the TF, as well.

At his age, I think you just need to play up how much fun it will be to see everything, and ask him to try to take a slow ride around the block in the Maestro. Promise him you'll go slow, and that way he can try it out. :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I got a 4-yo into a Maestro (after riding in nothing but a lap-belt) by pointing out the cup-holders. Has he seen the cup-holders? Maybe if you install it in the car and stick his cup in one and a toy in the other he'd want to give it a try? :)

turtlemama

I do have it installed. He saw it and asked who's it was and I told him it was for him. That is when he said he wanted to stay in the other seat forever. I thought it was weird that he wouldn't want to ride in the Maestro since he has been FF since he was 14 months. I had only recently turned him back RF since he fit the requirements of the CA (he still does for now.)
I will try the cup holder thing next time we go somewhere. He tends to whine a whole lot if he has to do something he doesn't want to, so I was hoping to avoid that. Thanks!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Can you post a pic of him in the seat? I bet he isn't close to outgrowning.

ElaynesMom

I think she means he is almost outgrowing the seat rearfacing by height because he is 38.5 inches tall and the manual states a 40 inch rf height limit. I don't think she is following the one inch rule, or head even with the top of the headrest, whichever it is, I can't remember.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Oh, outgrown by standing height, not shell height? Then I change my answer. Of course, it would be parental discretion -- and as a tech, I can't tell you to disregard the instructions -- but as a caregiver, I'd do it without a second thought. :twocents:

turtlemama

Yep I meant standing height, sorry for the mix up!

Here is a pic. I got flack for it on facebook because he looked uncomfortable, but whatever.
63652_1792472371103_1218459240_2151694_1814942_n.jpg

I was also wondering if it is ok for the car seats to touch the back of the driver and passenger seats? According to what I read online about my car, it has multi stage airbags, but I read on here somewhere that Chrysler doesn't specify about bracing. I didn't know if it was ok or not.

aeormsby

Yep I meant standing height, sorry for the mix up!

Here is a pic. I got flack for it on facebook because he looked uncomfortable, but whatever.
63652_1792472371103_1218459240_2151694_1814942_n.jpg

I was also wondering if it is ok for the car seats to touch the back of the driver and passenger seats? According to what I read online about my car, it has multi stage airbags, but I read on here somewhere that Chrysler doesn't specify about bracing. I didn't know if it was ok or not.

He looks so uncomfortable in that pictures :rolleyes: NOT - he looks like he's chillin' :) I agree, tons of room above his head, personally I wouldn't worry about the stated RF height limit.

For the touching. Not sure what the CA manual says, I know it's OK for the Britax seat. But for your vehicle you probably shouldn't have it touching the passenger seat because of the airbag sensor (none on the driver's seat because there's always someone sitting in the driver's seat).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC