How upright is your CA?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Okay, just got the CA, and I realize that the level-to-ground line on the side is intended to give a 45-degree angle. Since the seat is for my 34-lb 2.5 year-old, I certainly want it more upright. DJG insists that the seat is at 45-degrees while RF, which seems like utter nonsense (and potentially unsafe) to me.

Have you made a parental decision about the recline angle on your CA? How upright do you have it?

ADS

SignCuer

same as mine... it's actually safer to have it more upright.

I have spoken to Dorel and got the okay.. 30-45 degrees is fine.

However it's parental decision to go against the manual.. as a CPST, I can't tell you it's ok since that would be going against the manual but as a decision maker for my older nanny kids who are still RF, I make the decision to make it higher than 45 degrees.

chelsey

how many pool noodles can I use to install my CA?I have 6 pool noodles and it's at 30 degrees:eek:I think it would be impossible to install it at 45 in my car.With a pyramid of 3 it wasn't recline enough and my son was very uncomfortable and his legs were almost touching his head:whistle:

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
how many pool noodles can I use to install my CA?I have 6 pool noodles and it's at 30 degrees:eek:I think it would be impossible to install it at 45 in my car.With a pyramid of 3 it wasn't recline enough and my son was very uncomfortable and his legs were almost touching his head:whistle:

Six?!? Holy Moses! What kind of car, and in what seating position are you putting it? Is it the regular CA, or the one with the multi-position recline?

chelsey

Six?!? Holy Moses! What kind of car, and in what seating position are you putting it? Is it the regular CA, or the one with the multi-position recline?
yep six,I can take some pictures later.it's in Nissan Patfinder and it's the regular CA 50:confused:It was in my MIL car but we switched the seats on Sunday.That was the first time I installed it in my car-I used latch,the seat is upright,not moving but I still don't feel comfortable using it( I just love my Radian and I love how it fits in my car and how heavy it is,and that I could use a theater...ohhh ).

turtlemama

Mine is pretty upright, I couldn't get it any further reclined. I did the L thing with my hand and it was less than vertical so I hope it is fine. My 4 yr old and 21 month old ride in it.

BritMum-in-US

I can NOT get it to install properly in my VW Passat, not matter what I do. I also need pool noodles to even try.

However, in my Jeep Liberty (where it is currently and will stay) it is installed with no pool noodles at all and is at 30 degrees.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Okay, this is making me feel better. I had gotten it in at a nice 30* and was all satisfied with myself until I looked at that level line and could NOT believe that DJG wants every RF kid to ride like that. I'm glad other CPSTs and parents feel comfortable disregarding that rule too.

I'll admit I'm not quite feeling the CA love, but I've only had it for about eight hours and no one has ridden in it yet, LOL. Will I learn to love it?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
yep six,I can take some pictures later.it's in Nissan Patfinder and it's the regular CA 50:confused:It was in my MIL car but we switched the seats on Sunday.That was the first time I installed it in my car-I used latch,the seat is upright,not moving but I still don't feel comfortable using it( I just love my Radian and I love how it fits in my car and how heavy it is,and that I could use a theater...ohhh ).

Please do, I can't even imagine it!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Just to make sure: you do have it in recline mode, right?

crunchierthanthou

I was going to ask if it was a Nissan. IIRC, Wendytthomas has had some issues with her Xterra.

Meg

You have the recline stand tucked up into the seat, right? (The recline stand is only used for foward-facing). I can't believe it takes 6 noodles. :eek: I have my CA installed at about 30 degrees when I use if rear-facing.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I have spoken to Dorel and got the okay.. 30-45 degrees is fine.

That's good to know they actually say that... I wonder why they don't put it in their manuals.

It's awkward to be at a seat check with a parent trying to ERF, with their toddler straining to sit up from that newborn angle, and feeling conflicted about what to tell them. I agree with you that I can't tell parents to go against what the manual clearly states. The manual says over and over again that RF needs to have that line level, but it's good to know that if I tell them to call Dorel about it, they'll probably get the go-ahead to put it more upright. Thanks.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
FYI: I set mine with the "level to ground" line actually level to the ground, and measured-- almost 50 degrees. Um, not doing that.

tl01

FYI: I set mine with the "level to ground" line actually level to the ground, and measured-- almost 50 degrees. Um, not doing that.

I agree.. the one I played with in my tech class had to be sooooo over reclined to be level with the ground.

That said, in one of the cars we practiced installing seats... three noodles still didn't give a 45 degree angle. I was shocked at how hard it was to get a nice recline for a new baby with that seat.

Kobain's Mommy

I'm so going out and playing with mine this weekend! I haven't touched it since the clinic to get the pool noodles. I was saying to DH tonight that it seemed like the seat was really reclined. And thinking about it the CPST that did our seat was adimit it had to be level with the ground. Then again she'd never seen a CA and asked me if the 65 ment it went up to 65lbs.

chelsey

You have the recline stand tucked up into the seat, right? (The recline stand is only used for foward-facing). I can't believe it takes 6 noodles. :eek: I have my CA installed at about 30 degrees when I use if rear-facing.

yes,the recline stand is tucked up in the seat.my husband will be at home at 11:45 ,so I will take some pictures(he is using the car ) and hopefully you guys will help me(I am getting a Radian so this is temporary ).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC