'99 caravan accident/safety

indexer

Two weeks ago, my '99 dodge caravan was hit---there was a little bit of snow on the ground, and some guy slid into me-- he was skidding and "fishtailing"-- he was probably going too fast for the conditions. :thumbsdown: Everyone is fine, though.

We are trying to decide if we should repair or replace the car. Although it would be an expensive repair (about $1800), the car has very low mileage-- only about 50K, so that's important to keep in mind--- for sure we wouldn't even consider keeping it if it had 80-90,000 miles on the car, but we don't drive that much and we assume that we easily have another 4-5 years out of the car.

However, one thing is a concern of mine is SAFETY. There is damage to the drivers side of the vehicle. Most of the damage is on the drivers side door, and minor dents and scrapes all along that side of the car. Assuming we get it fixed by a reputable body shop, would it be safe to say, "it's as good as new" OR is it already "dmaged goods" and if it's ever hit again in that area, it won't hold up as well?

If you know anything about this, and can share your opinion, that would be helpful. Also, if you know of any statistics/research that I can share with my husband, that would be even more helpful.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Just as a side note...you MUST replace car seats/infant bases/boosters after a crash. (Some manufactures follow the NHTSA guidelines, others state that they must be replaced after ANY crash.)

Many vehicles are repaired after a crash and I would not consider them unsafe. My vehicle I crashed was just shy of being totaled. The frame rail ends were repaired, all sheet metal replaced and mechanical work done. We drove it 6 more years til we traded it in! I never considered it unsafe.

Is the other driver's insurance footing your bill? Please remember to turn the bill for your replacement car seats in as well for reimbursement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC