Anyone watch Extreme Home Makeover?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Reason number 8,000,022 why "it's not about laws, it's about lives."

I'm watching Extreme Home Makeover right now.

This sweet 9 year old boy slipped out of his seatbelt. I don't know when the accident was, how old he was, but he's 9 now.

The accident was bad - his older sister lost her kidney. I'm not denying that it was bad. But losing a kidney, while it sucks, is better than being paralyzed because you weren't in a booster.

Poor kid.

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Re: Reason number 8,000,022 why "it's not about laws, it's about lives."

eek...yes rather less a kidney, thn less a life :(

cpsaddict

Oh great. It's not on here for another hour and half, but I am already cringing thinking about it. I watch every week and I HATE it when they don't restrain the adults, let alone the kids.

:(

Melizerd

Just to let you know that when they filmed about 30 min from me they filmed the part of them driving away, just to the end of the block after that they let the extra camera men out of the car and then make everyone put on their seat belts (there were no small children) and then drove to the airport. I'd assume that it's the same everywhere.

They should show it on TV but they don't.

ThreeBeans

Just to let you know that when they filmed about 30 min from me they filmed the part of them driving away, just to the end of the block after that they let the extra camera men out of the car and then make everyone put on their seat belts (there were no small children) and then drove to the airport. I'd assume that it's the same everywhere.

They should show it on TV but they don't.

It's not something that happened during the show...it's what happened to the little boy before the show ever started :(

cmm7

Was this the one with the dad who was already paralyzed and then the son was? I saw a commercial for it and was wondering how old he was and how he was restrained.

ThreeBeans

Was this the one with the dad who was already paralyzed and then the son was? I saw a commercial for it and was wondering how old he was and how he was restrained.

Yeah, Dad was paralyzed in a bombing in Iraq. He came home in a wheelchair. Then the whole family was in a car accident. One of the girls lost a kidney and the (very) little boy "slipped out of his seat belt" and was also paralyzed from the waist down.

shashoo

I think the car accident happened 18 months after dad returned home or the show was being filmed 18 months after the accident. The boy was probably 7 or so, I also doubt he was in a booster =(. Did anyone catch if dad was restrained in the accident as he was thrown through the windshield. I know he was the one driving.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I saw it and immediately thought, "I bet he wasn't in a booster." While the show says he is nine, he is not a big nine year old.

Dad was driving. Since he is a big guy, I'm guessing the van is equipped so he could drive from his w/c. Many (most) w/cs are NOT crash tested and it is a royal pain to strap one down (4 tie downs + a seat belt) or maneuever one into a locking system.

One (or more) things probably failed or wasn't used:
1) He didn't use a separate seat belt - the seat belts on w/c are only meant for positioning.
2) The chair bent/broke upon impact, allowing him to be thrown.
3) chair was not properly locked or tied down

MySillyKids

When we watched it, DH like Whelped when they told the story of the boy.

i said "this is the EXACT reason why Our DS will be in a 5pt until he is outgrown the seat."

I was kinda sad they just focused on the boys, the girl that had that huge scar didnt get any 'specials'

Cool show however!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC