Help me decide...

Baylor

do you think it is worth it for me to get a Radian? Or should I just get a Frontier 85?

My youngest is almost 3 now.. and is 41 pounds as of his last weigh in last week. My thoughts was to rear face him again.. It could be for a month or two... I could get the Frontier and then could use it as a seat for either of them and re harness my 6.5 yr old for bad weather and to be honest, He keeps saying he hates the booster mode.. He likes being able to harness himself..

What would you do?

ADS

wvmommy007

I'd get the Frontier, unless you plan to have more kids to pass the Radian down to. It has a lower top slot than the Nauti, so wouldn't last you any longer FF either. And yes, the Frontier 85 has the highest available harness slots.

Baylor

I am SOOO done.. being 44 but I do have others to pass it down to. I think I just need to accept that it is not practical to Rf him at this point.. he is just too big.

And the 85 is the top of the Frontiers in weight and harness height too right?

Thanks so much!

Baylor

I think there is a seat that harnesses to 90 lbs. One of the Recaro ProSomethings. :p I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to help you with that question.

ETA: I googled. It is the Prosport. :)

Thanks.. I think 85 is plenty. lol.. I don't think I want to look at another seat.. I have enough I would love to buy..

babyherder

Personally, I'd get a radian and rf your son until he's too heavy. And then use the radian for him ff. I'd rather rf longer and booster sooner (assuming the child is behaviorally ready). Get your radian and rf your son. I think if you rf him as long as you legally can, when you do turn him you'll be at peace with your decision and won't keep re-thinking.

Baylor

Personally, I'd get a radian and rf your son until he's too heavy. And then use the radian for him ff. I'd rather rf longer and booster sooner (assuming the child is behaviorally ready). Get your radian and rf your son. I think if you rf him as long as you legally can, when you do turn him you'll be at peace with your decision and won't keep re-thinking.

Thanks for your idea... I am going to weigh him again tomorrow and see where he is.. I don't know if 4 lbs or less is worth it. That is my battle now. He is a big boy.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
If I can add to your indecision, my vote is to get the Frontier. Maybe you should have made this a poll, and based your decision on the highest number of votes!

I just can't see paying that much for maybe three more pounds... AND dealing with the Radian's quirks (I'm admittedly not a huge fan, so that might be influencing my vote), and then possibly needing to buy a dedicated booster down the line.

Baylor

If I can add to your indecision, my vote is to get the Frontier. Maybe you should have made this a poll, and based your decision on the highest number of votes!

I just can't see paying that much for maybe three more pounds... AND dealing with the Radian's quirks (I'm admittedly not a huge fan, so that might be influencing my vote), and then possibly needing to buy a dedicated booster down the line.

Thanks! LOL.. I don't know how to make a poll.. I can try... :confused:

I have my reservations about the Radian too But since I would have to use it with a seat belt install, I was not too concerned after thinking about it. My biggest issue is their lack of customer service over the issue..

I think you may be right in that I will mainly be using it forward facing anyway. I could buy it and he could go into a spurt and gain the 3 lbs before I even get it home..

Baylor

So I just talked to DH, He is fine with me getting the seat.. When I explained it to him he thinks the Frontier is the better choice.. Especially since DS2 is growing at a much faster rate than DS1. We will definitely get more use out of that.

Love that Dh of mine!

Mommy0608

If you get the FR85, be sure to check the deals forum... the latest deal on it is a good one, $209.99 from babycatalog.com (one of the sponsors here). :)

ETA: If I were in your shoes and needed another seat, I'd go for the FR85 too.

sunnymw

As a person who bought a radian to re-rf a four year old... I still say go for the FN85 ;)

(In my defense, he was flat-out refusing to ride in his Nautilus, instead wanting to ride in the EFTA, which has a 35lbs RF limit, and he was 34.5lbs... :whistle: I generally don't let him run the show, but he WAS opting for the safer option, LOL)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC