At what age can kids usually climb into and out of seats?

PatrickGSR94

Just wondering, at what age can most kids climb into and out of their car seats on their own, be it RF or FF? Do you still click the harnesses all together yourself or is there a point where they can also do that on their own?

ADS

Baylor

My DS1 has been doing his own harness since about 4. But as for climbing up alone, They both did that at about 18 mos- 2.

mlohry

My vote would be 4. My almost 2 year old is already trying to strap herself in, so maybe earlier for helping.

PatrickGSR94

Yeah I just installed a convertible RF in my 2-door Acura Integra. While it won't get much use (really only trips to my parents, an hour away, other car has no cruise control), I still dread having to lift my DS through the driver side door, into the back, contort myself back there, then lift him into the seat. He's 12 mos. 1 wk. and right at 23 lbs. now. He can walk already, just doesn't want to do it without holding on to stuff (even though he can).

Cryssy Jane

A has been climbing into a seat since around 12 months, although he was walking at 8 months if that makes a difference. He will just climb into whichever seat (although he has a hard time with the Coccoro) and sit, I harness him. He's RF in all vehicles.

O has been climbing in since around 14 months depending on vehicle and seat. He had no problem climbing into RF seats but now seems to have a little more trouble climbing into FF seats. He'll be 3 next month and climbs in and buckles the chest clip and tries to buckle the tongs while I put A in.

Meg

So much of it depends on the vehicle (car vs SUV/truck) and car seat (car seat with high vs low profile, etc). My 4 year old is a tiny thing and can climb into my car (a small SUV) and his car seat (CA) by himself. If he tries, he can buckle half of the harness by himself, so I always just do it for him. I'm not sure what age he was able to climb into the car and seat by himself. I always just lifted him into the car and seat since it was easier/quicker than waiting for him to get in himself. Now that I have my hands full with a 10 month old, he has to do it by himself, so I guess he's been doing it since about 3-3.5 years old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Laine can take a while, but she can get into my SUV and into her seat on her own. She's 15.5 months.

Piper could do up her harness at 5 years old. I'd check it (a glance was enough, we didn't loosen the harness every time). Laine will help position her crotch strap, but that's it.

Wendy

vonfirmath

I don't remember when my son started -- I know by 18 months he was climbing into his seat (Britax Marathon, which is usually considered to have high sides) on his own. (Pontiac Montana van and a Pontiac Grand Am sedan) He had to be hoisted up into my dad's truck, but could get up into the seat from there.

He's 3.5 and still can't get his buckle done (though he does the chest clip himself most of the time)

mommyfrog

Sometime between 12 and 18 months for climbing in, 2ish for buckling the chest clip and 3-4 for buckling everything.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I had 2 kids rfing in a 2 door Honda Accord, so I feel your pain.

One thing that might help, if you can install the seat behind the driver and still drive, the passenger seat flips farther out of the way than the driver seat does because it doesn't hit the steering wheel. You also might have an easier time reclining the seat all the way and kneeling on it, than trying to squeeze through the gap behind, or plopping him in through the rear hatch.

karlatta

I think all of my kids mastered getting in their seats at around 2. My DD probably could have done it earlier, but she was RF in a MA and it was a little tall for her. And DS2 was a little slower at figuring it out, but he's super short and was a late walker.

My 3yo and 4yo can both get their harnesses all arranged and fasten the harness clip, but I still have to do the crotch buckle. My 2yo *thinks* he can do his own harness, but he hasn't figured out that he has to put his arms in the straps before fastening the harness clip, lol.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Both of my kids (5 & 2) can climb into their own seats in our sedan, but my 2-year-old can't do it in the captain's chairs of our minivan. His seat is high-sided and rear-facing, and it's just too high for him to climb alone safely. Although I'm sure he'd love it if I let him try!

PatrickGSR94

I had 2 kids rfing in a 2 door Honda Accord, so I feel your pain.

One thing that might help, if you can install the seat behind the driver and still drive, the passenger seat flips farther out of the way than the driver seat does because it doesn't hit the steering wheel. You also might have an easier time reclining the seat all the way and kneeling on it, than trying to squeeze through the gap behind, or plopping him in through the rear hatch.

Seat must go on passenger side in both cars, due to me being tall, and I drive with the seat 2 clicks up from all the way back in my Integra, and with the seat all the way back completely in the Corolla.

My wife pulls the seat up some in the Corolla, but if we're all together, I drive the Corolla 99.5% of the time because she would rather not and just leave it up to me. So it has to go on the passenger side, and my wife just has to deal with the front passenger seat being pulled up some. We're both fairly tall, so it's not the ideal situation, but we have to make do with what we have.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well, you could use this as an excuse to install cruise control in the Corolla....

ETA: Both of those car seats should fit in the middle with both front seats all the way back.

Kat_Momof3

climbing in on their own - starts at about 1yr (when they're walking and climbing)... but always doing it... probably not till about 2-3yo depending on temperment.

buckling themselves... somewhere around 3-5yo depending on the kid.

asch884

my son has special needs so take that into consideration. We had britax ma he was never able to climb into on his own and he still cant. HE got a britax frontier for his 3 birthday and he can climb into that by himself but he cant do the graco nauti. he doesnt do any of the harness by himself. he cant even put his arms into the straps.

my older son was harnessing himself by 4.5. I think he was getting into his seat at about 18 months

PatrickGSR94

Well, you could use this as an excuse to install cruise control in the Corolla....

ETA: Both of those car seats should fit in the middle with both front seats all the way back.

Believe me, would love to have cruise on the Corolla, just haven't had the time or money. Years ago when I had a 1989 Camry, I pilfered parts from several other Camrys in a junk yard and installed factory cruise for around 100 bucks. But that was before airbags with cable reels, and I don't have the time to go running around salvage yards either. And something about the aftermarket kits just doesn't jive well with me.

There is no center rear seating position in 2-door Integras. There's a plastic piece on the seat bottom, and no seat belt. That was done on purpose by Honda because the rear seat backs would have needed to have been significantly more beefy, with a center seat belt and all.

The MR 65 is the widest car seat I've ever seen, and I highly doubt it would go center position in the Corolla without having to push both seats forward. I must have the driver seat all the way back when I drive that car. It looks like it might go in the center, at its current back angle of 30° in the right seat position, but the center of the rear seat has a sizable hump that would tilt it to at least 35-40°, which would cause both front seats to have to slide forward.

leighi123

Ds could climb into his seat (at the time, a RF TF), by around 14months, but even at 3.5, I usually just put him in his seat b/c he is so light and its faster. He can put his arms in and buckle the chest clip, but not the crotch. But again, I usually do it myself unless he is getting himself in while I load stuff.

KatieMB

My son is 3 1/2 and he climbs into his seat and buckles the harness while I put his brother in his seat. I walk back around to his side to do the buckles at his legs, which he can't do himself too well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC