Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

PANIC !! Air China car seat policy.

Hi !

I am having a mild heartattack right now ! I just called Air China and they told me that I will NOT be able to use car seats for either my 16 month old or 4 year old on the plane, even though I bought them each a ticket !

Has anyone flown with them? Is this true?

We are flying JFK to PEK and then PEK to SFO.

Thanks !

Christina

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: PANIC !! Air China car seat policy.

I thought that an airline departing from the United States has to follow FAA regulations. I would double check with the FAA and find out what the rules are for international carriers and whether they must follow FAA regulations. Definitely find out if they have to comply with US regulations if they are departing from the US and/or arriving to the US.

Here's information about the FAA regulations for car seats: http://www.carseat.org/Legal/FAA-AC120-87A.pdf - See 10e

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Airlines follow the regulations of the country they're registered in. So if it's a foreign carrier, FAA rules don't apply.

I believe Air China is for her inner China flight. Not the one from the US. I flew Air China in October and do not remember seeing any children on the flight. Food was nasty though!

It's different flying inner china when compared to here in the U.S. I do know they told us only 1 bag was allowed, but my friend was able to bring 2 no problem. All depends on the person checking you in and the day.

As for seat belts on the flight... they are exactly the same as US planes.

What are you doing in China? Lucky! I want to bring my family back there soon.
    Proud Mom to David (15), Hannah (14), Emily (13), Stella (9) and Zahari (8)

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are flying JFK to PEK and then PEK to SFO.

Quote Originally Posted by courtfrog2 View Post
    I believe Air China is for her inner China flight. Not the one from the US.
    JFK is New York City, PEK is Beijing, and SFO is San Francisco. No mention of inner China flights.

Air China makes no mention of using or not using seats on their flights. http://www.airchina.de/en/managemytr...ds/minors.html But you can get a cradle. Wheee.

They are not bound by FAA regulations, and they can make you misuse your seats (ie, turn a 17 pound child forward facing, or check the seat). This is why I fly American carriers internationally, even if it requires a layover. Suxor, but true.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Oh, thanks, I'm not up on the abbreviations. Sorry.

We flew United to and from China, then in China we flew Air China. Another recent post regarding China states she was making several flights in China while there.
    Proud Mom to David (15), Hannah (14), Emily (13), Stella (9) and Zahari (8)

8. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I've had my car seats taken away by foreign companies, been forced to check them (not allowed to be taken to the gate), etc.

The FAA doesn't have jurisdiction over foreign companies, except for the "air worthiness" of the aircraft itself. Inside the cabin, they can go by their own rules.

It's really been a headache and when flying to and from the U.S., I try to fly either a U.S. company or Lufthansa. I understand some of the ME companies are good about accepting U.S. and other national car seats.

The information about the CARES harness is unhelpfully listed in the FAQ section but I see no mention of Air China. I was hoping that could be an option for you.
    http://www.kidsflysafe.com/faqs
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Unregistered

Hi all,

Thanks for all the thoughts. Here is an update !! I spoke with the Air China rep at JFK airport and told her that the carseat was reccomended by our doctor (TRUE!) for both kids. She sent me back this message:

"After I checked with JFK/KWL/PEK AIRPORT, only JFK AIRPORT confirms that you can have car seats for children during the flight. You have to request on the departure date at counter for other two segments (KWL-PEK, PEK-SFO), now it's no guranteed. Thanks for your understanding."

SOOO....we are def allowed to have our car seats from New York to Beijing. Iffy on the internal Chinese flights and the flight home. We will have someone who speaks Chinese with us during check-in so hopefully they can negotiate something for us! We were also going to have the doctor write a note showing that they are "medically necessary" and have it translated into Chinese.

We will be travelling with a Graco Snugride 32 for my DS2 (14 months, 24 lbs, middle strap nothc) and a Radian XTSL for DS1 (4.5 years, 48 lbs, 40 in).

Any tips?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Learn to use the locking clip. The only install I did IN China was a front seat locking clip Radian install. The backseat of the taxi had no buckles, so no seatbelt could be used. The front seat was an ELR belt only. So Piper sat up there.

Make sure you take the base for the infant seat. Don't check it, put it under the seat in front of you or in the overhead.

Otherwise, good luck. I'd be interested in seeing how this works out. They may let you use them just because they have no idea what to do. It's not like the Chinese use carseats anyway. It's completely foreign to them in general, nevermind on a plane.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Unregistered

This is an old threat, but I decided to leave a comment thus other parents do not have to waste time to do the same research.
    Infant car seat is NOT allowed on Air China, Hainan, and China Southern Airlines flight. Only China Eastern Airlines allows "automobile-type car safety seat"