PANIC !! Air China car seat policy.

U

Unregistered

Hi !

I am having a mild heartattack right now ! I just called Air China and they told me that I will NOT be able to use car seats for either my 16 month old or 4 year old on the plane, even though I bought them each a ticket !

Has anyone flown with them? Is this true?

We are flying JFK to PEK and then PEK to SFO.

Thanks !

Christina

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I thought that an airline departing from the United States has to follow FAA regulations. I would double check with the FAA and find out what the rules are for international carriers and whether they must follow FAA regulations. Definitely find out if they have to comply with US regulations if they are departing from the US and/or arriving to the US.

Here's information about the FAA regulations for car seats: http://www.carseat.org/Legal/FAA-AC120-87A.pdf - See 10e

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Airlines follow the regulations of the country they're registered in. So if it's a foreign carrier, FAA rules don't apply. :(

courtfrog2

I believe Air China is for her inner China flight. Not the one from the US. I flew Air China in October and do not remember seeing any children on the flight. Food was nasty though!

It's different flying inner china when compared to here in the U.S. I do know they told us only 1 bag was allowed, but my friend was able to bring 2 no problem. All depends on the person checking you in and the day.

As for seat belts on the flight... they are exactly the same as US planes.

What are you doing in China? Lucky! I want to bring my family back there soon.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We are flying JFK to PEK and then PEK to SFO.

I believe Air China is for her inner China flight. Not the one from the US.

JFK is New York City, PEK is Beijing, and SFO is San Francisco. No mention of inner China flights.

Air China makes no mention of using or not using seats on their flights. http://www.airchina.de/en/managemytrip/specialneeds/minors.html But you can get a cradle. Wheee.

They are not bound by FAA regulations, and they can make you misuse your seats (ie, turn a 17 pound child forward facing, or check the seat). This is why I fly American carriers internationally, even if it requires a layover. Suxor, but true.

Wendy

courtfrog2

Oh, thanks, I'm not up on the abbreviations. Sorry.

We flew United to and from China, then in China we flew Air China. Another recent post regarding China states she was making several flights in China while there.

Eclipsepearl

I've had my car seats taken away by foreign companies, been forced to check them (not allowed to be taken to the gate), etc.

The FAA doesn't have jurisdiction over foreign companies, except for the "air worthiness" of the aircraft itself. Inside the cabin, they can go by their own rules.

It's really been a headache and when flying to and from the U.S., I try to fly either a U.S. company or Lufthansa. I understand some of the ME companies are good about accepting U.S. and other national car seats.

The information about the CARES harness is unhelpfully listed in the FAQ section but I see no mention of Air China. I was hoping that could be an option for you.
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/faqs

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

Thanks for all the thoughts. Here is an update !! I spoke with the Air China rep at JFK airport and told her that the carseat was reccomended by our doctor (TRUE!) for both kids. She sent me back this message:

"After I checked with JFK/KWL/PEK AIRPORT, only JFK AIRPORT confirms that you can have car seats for children during the flight. You have to request on the departure date at counter for other two segments (KWL-PEK, PEK-SFO), now it's no guranteed. Thanks for your understanding."

SOOO....we are def allowed to have our car seats from New York to Beijing. Iffy on the internal Chinese flights and the flight home. We will have someone who speaks Chinese with us during check-in so hopefully they can negotiate something for us! We were also going to have the doctor write a note showing that they are "medically necessary" and have it translated into Chinese.

We will be travelling with a Graco Snugride 32 for my DS2 (14 months, 24 lbs, middle strap nothc) and a Radian XTSL for DS1 (4.5 years, 48 lbs, 40 in).

Any tips?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Learn to use the locking clip. The only install I did IN China was a front seat locking clip Radian install. The backseat of the taxi had no buckles, so no seatbelt could be used. The front seat was an ELR belt only. So Piper sat up there.

Make sure you take the base for the infant seat. Don't check it, put it under the seat in front of you or in the overhead.

Otherwise, good luck. I'd be interested in seeing how this works out. They may let you use them just because they have no idea what to do. It's not like the Chinese use carseats anyway. It's completely foreign to them in general, nevermind on a plane.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

This is an old threat, but I decided to leave a comment thus other parents do not have to waste time to do the same research.
Infant car seat is NOT allowed on Air China, Hainan, and China Southern Airlines flight. Only China Eastern Airlines allows "automobile-type car safety seat"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC