Needing 3 carseats for Suburban.

U

Unregistered

Okay, we just received our match through adoption and it's a set of 3 siblings, all under 5!!! They are all at front facing weights/heights now, but we've not bought carseats in years......wow on those prices!

Since we need 3, we're trying to figure out which would be economical while being safe and fitting in the Suburban (2 in the back and one in the middle bench).

Here are my main concerns in picking one out:
1)We still have 2 birth children to fit in the vehicle too, tweens.....so they need a bit of room but no carseats. The carseats I need to buy for the others need to leave room for 2 other children, so they can't be really really wide like some I've read are.

2)The seats would be great if they could handle up to 65 pounds, although I realize that a lot of them outgrow the height restrictions prior to the weight, so one that covers both would be nice.

3)The seats need a recline feature if possible, or something that helps to keep their head from bobbing when they sleep. I remember that when we did have car seats before we had to buy those pillow like things that went around the front of them to keep their heads from falling over on long road trips....hoping to avoid those this time.

4)Economical....we're buying everything all over again (beds, strollers, car seats, clothing...etc) so economical car seats would be wonderful. I love the Britax...but 200+ for each one would really be a TON of money right now.

Thanks!!!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I know you may not have the exact numbers, but can you give us approximate weights along with ages for all the kids involved? That will make it a lot easier for us to make recommendations.

MomofFive5

They are 2, 3 and 4 and are 'average' size. We will know more about weights of course soon....probably next week, but with the cost of car seats we're trying to get some rather quickly so we can get everything squared away.

Thanks!

gwenvet

Well, you aren't going to find one with a high harness height, a tall shell that they won't grow out of before reaching the max weight (unless they're particularly overweight) AND a recline feature. But maybe a carseat company will read your wishlist and have a great new idea! Okay...hmmmm...knowing ages, weights and torso heights would really help but since you don't have them yet, I suppose you don't have all that info. Any idea...super tall, thin, fat? Do you have high seat backs or headrests and top tethers in the Suburban? Here's a list of all (?) the High Weight Harnessing seats. also, from your post, it sounded like you would have to fit 7 kids total in the Suburban. Is that all at one time? How many seatbelts are there?

Britax Regent ($250 needs a top tether above 50lbs(?), really big and wide but has the highest harness height and weight of all)

Radian (nice and narrow, has a recline feature but I think you can't use it above a certain weight FF, sometimes $130 on Amazon but usually $179ish)

Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (like the Britax Marathon but only harnesses to 50lbs and lacks some of the frills, better price)

Safeguard Child Seat (really nice and REALLY expensive)

Safeguard Go (great for travel, but only 17" max harness height and no shell, about $200)

Safety 1st/Alpha Elite Apex 65 (maybe your best option if you have headrests and can find the one with 19" top slots, about $120 I think)

Recaro (expected to be out in June, in the $200 range)
Evenflo (not out yet)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'd go with a higher weight limit seat for the 4 year old & the 3 year old, and a "regular" seat for the 2 year old. He/She can use the 4 year old's seat when it gets outgrown.

If the 2 year old is under 30 lb, I would, without a doubt, put him/her back rear facing, even if he/she hasn't been riding that way. It's just so much safer. In that case, I'd go with the Cosco Scenera (~$40 at Walmart & Target). It can be used rear facing to 35 lb and front facing to 40 lb.

A list of higher weight limit seats can be found here. By the time the youngest has outgrown the Scenera, chances are the oldest will be ready for a booster, and you can hand his/her seat down to the youngest at that time.

If you post their exact weights when you get them, we can modify our recommendations as necessary.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'd go with a higher weight limit seat for the 4 year old & the 3 year old, and a "regular" seat for the 2 year old. He/She can use the 4 year old's seat when it gets outgrown.

If the 2 year old is under 30 lb, I would, without a doubt, put him/her back rear facing, even if he/she hasn't been riding that way. It's just so much safer. In that case, I'd go with the Cosco Scenera (~$40 at Walmart & Target). It can be used rear facing to 35 lb and front facing to 40 lb.

A list of higher weight limit seats can be found here. By the time the youngest has outgrown the Scenera, chances are the oldest will be ready for a booster, and you can hand his/her seat down to the youngest at that time.

If you post their exact weights when you get them, we can modify our recommendations as necessary.

I agree with Ulrike 100%. I own a Tahoe so I know the seating configuration of your vehicle. Seeing as your only have 4 headrests in the back 2 rows (outboard positions) and the Apex needing headrest behind them as does your older children. So, 4 of the children will need the headrests.

I would get the older 2 the Apex as they will be the most cost effective and go with the Cosco Scenera for the 2yr old.

Starlight

Senior Community Member

:yeahthat:

MomofFive5

I agree with Ulrike 100%. I own a Tahoe so I know the seating configuration of your vehicle. Seeing as your only have 4 headrests in the back 2 rows (outboard positions) and the Apex needing headrest behind them as does your older children. So, 4 of the children will need the headrests.

I would get the older 2 the Apex as they will be the most cost effective and go with the Cosco Scenera for the 2yr old.

Hmm, actually I have 5 headrest in the back, and 5 shoulder belts, one lap belt. I did figure on only putting 2 in the very back though, and then one in the middle. I'll check the Apex out and then the Cosco one for little bit. Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC