Question Need TRU sale for Frontier

tam_shops

Yes, money is a huge motivator for me! And, buying too early affects re-sale...thanks! Of course, such a catch 22, also means you can not use it those few times when you need an extra seat...

tam

ADS

April

I agree with Trudy regarding wasting a year of lifespan. And the Frontier is a hellava spare to have sitting around (btdt). And its possible something newer and better could come out before you actually need another seat. But if you must, you could see if TRU will price match TJs price. Trudy, does TRU do that? Anyways, uh, I'd be willing to go to great lengths to avoid giving my business to TJs. :whistle:
Posted via Mobile Device

mommycat

That's just 15% so it should show up at that price in other stores too, no? But I also agree that if you still have room to grow in current seats, I would wait. How often have you had a real need for a spare? That's a lot of money for a seat to sit around for potentially a really long time. Also BTDT. Do you know anyone who shops at TRU a lot? You could try to find someone who is buying at TRU anyway and offer to come in with them so they can use your credit and pay you the cash. That would get your money out of limbo and allow you to use it for bills, etc now and worry about a new seat when you need it, with no specific store to stalk for deals.

mam521

IMHO the seats should hold (and be tested) at least 5 if not 10#s above the posted limit, for all the people that *accidentally* go above the posted limits...How many over weight kids have you heard of in a AOE & over height? I know you aren't supposed to, but people do & seats should still hold up w/ accidental *known* miss use.

tam

FWIW, Good engineering practice is engineering a safety factor into every single thing that is "engineered". I'm not sure what code child restraints are engineered to...I know there are min standards (CMVSS 213, 213.1 and 213.2 depending on seat type) set by the government, but I'd like to hope the manufacturers are attempting to go above and beyond. But its like anything...you give people an inch, they take a mile. You tell someone a carseat is rated to 65lbs but testing up to 80lbs said it was good, people, by nature, aren't going to concern themselves with the 65lb weight limit. Think about how many government figures you see coming off the sled...you don't. TC doesn't want a parent to assume one carseat is "less safe" than another, but rather that there is a minimum standard that ALL seats must meet, therefore they are all safe.

I think thats why you've seen so many infant/child drug products removed from shelves - overmedication because people don't heed the 4-6 hour warning. They get to 3 3/4 hours and are pumping it into the kid's system thinking "its making them feel better" when really, its putting them in harms way. Different than CR, yes, but illustrates the point. But, thats just my :twocents:

tam_shops

Thanks ladies, hope to hyperventilate myself through the sale! I totally agree, it's insane not to wait....Don't know anyone that needs anything worth $200 at TRU, would LOVE the cash that's for sure....Hate Tjs's, prefer it to WestCoastKids though, morally opposed to the fact that in 2009, they were selling 2006 car seats at full price & not telling parents...

TRU is a PITA to price match, but they do it. Has to be identical item, in stock & identical colour. So you get away w/ it w/ Britax seats, but not GN b/c they have thier own Graco colours, imho for that reason, so they don't have to price match. Actually, think they Price match & 10% better.

How many times a year does Britax have a 15% off sale? Or are they keeping up w/ the advertising that SKJP is doing right now? Good business practice...

Melissa, I know, I agree, give an inch, take a mile...They also underdose Tylenol b/c of idiots that do that, apparently 10%, was told at the hospital ones that if I use a syrynge, I can get *extra* but not to tell anyone. Think it was b/c I referred to the amount as cc & 24hr clock when I gave them the dosage/hour meds had last been given. Too many years working in the hospital setting myself...

tam

Keeanh

Calm down Tam! TJ's jumped the gun on a Canada-wide sale that is supposed to start tomorrow. Check TRU in the morning.

ETA: Went back & re-read the thread and I'm not sure if you're buying now or not, LOL.

April

Dude, *speaking as a parent here* TJ's has sold 3 year old seats (particularly Pegs and pre 2010 Radians and Montereys), sells used seats, and has sold recalled seats without telling consumers. I have done a check for someone with a recalled Combi infant seat they'd been using for 8 months that was recalled prior to their purchase of it. When TJs staff was questioned about it their response was "not our problem, you shouldve checked with Combi before you used it". I also have more than one picture on my computer of non-compliant seats on their shelves (blank DOM stickers). Don't even get me started on their customer service.
Posted via Mobile Device

KristineML

Dude, *speaking as a parent here* TJ's has sold 3 year old seats (particularly Pegs and pre 2010 Radians and Montereys), sells used seats, and has sold recalled seats without telling consumers. I have done a check for someone with a recalled Combi infant seat they'd been using for 8 months that was recalled prior to their purchase of it. When TJs staff was questioned about it their response was "not our problem, you shouldve checked with Combi before you used it". I also have more than one picture on my computer of non-compliant seats on their shelves (blank DOM stickers). Don't even get me started on their customer service.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know a woman on another board who bought an expired Peg from TJ's.

tam_shops

Keeanh, they've talked me out of buying my Frontier right now b/c both boys still have room to grow...but it's on SALE I tell you & a good one & I have the money & don't know when it'll go on sale again & I so like to shop...I really do need to breath more! LOL

Seriously? :eek: on Tj's! Just curious if this is the Vancouver Marine drive store? Tj's can join my list w/ WestCoast kids w/ outdated seat! :thumbsdown: That should just be so illegal imho...And, isn't selling recalled carseat illegal?

I have friends that complained about their customer service, I've never had a problem there...must be lucky...spent too much money on my bedding, but that was my stupidity, got all ocd matching & it was on sale...had great experience, more than once w/ their service depot, repairing American strollers for me on warranty. But, service depot & sales are two different things...Even had an educated person, that knew about the new Jan laws answer some questions when I was looking at the booster seats...Not to say I'd trust anything anyone said at the store, was just surprised!

Problem is, WHERE do you buy seats in the Lower mainland? Our TRU doesn't even have a Frontier, will be a special order, I want to *see* it & try it in my car before I buy it...

The rest of my baby/kid stuff came from the US, but can't buy carseats in the US...

tam

April

Surrey store is the worst, imo. Best place to buy seats at a brick and mortar store is Baby's World in Coquitlam by Ikea. I prefer to buy from Snugglebugz whenever possible though. Bought my last RNXT as well as my I'coo stroller there. Great service, special deals for members of this board, super fast shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

tam_shops

April, good to know, thanks! Not working this year, or last/next for that matter, got to go for price for big ticket items, especially in Canada, these things are too $$$ it's ridiculous! Problem w/ Baby's World is they don't put their prices online & they often won't give them to you on the phone, so to drive over an hour, to find it's actually more money...Can tell you they had 1 & 2 year old Graco SS in 2009 for MORE money than the old *sale* ones I found around. I'm still annoyed about the experience I had shopping for YDS's SS, especially the ugly colour choices they had! LOL So, annoyed buyer has to be beware...if the seat is on sale & you don't ask *why* or don't question it as old stock & ask, I'm more inclined to say too bad on you, do your research & ask...But, if it's NOT on sale, how the :thumbsdown:do they expect a new parent to know...

But, will most certainly keep Snugglebugz, I've already seen a few sales there! But, unless I find a taker for this $200 TRU money, the seat will come from TRU. Freaks me out b/c they don't *back-up* your bill & you need a bill to replace a carseat w/ ICBC. Did I mention that I live in Richmond? Last I read, the 2nd highest accident site in BC was the South end of the Night street bridge, 2nd to the North side of the same bridge! ROFL I've *lost* 3 car seats in 5 years. I wasn't even IN the car for 2 of the accidents & the 3rd was a head on from oncoming traffic going the opposite direction! Idiots.

tam

tam

KristineML

Surrey store is the worst, imo. Best place to buy seats at a brick and mortar store is Baby's World in Coquitlam by Ikea. I prefer to buy from Snugglebugz whenever possible though. Bought my last RNXT as well as my I'coo stroller there. Great service, special deals for members of this board, super fast shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been to Snugglebugz in person to buy gifts and it is a great store.

Keeanh

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, they tried to sell me a floor model in 1999... and looking back I wonder if they did box up the floor model and sell it to me because as I was looking at other stuff they "found" another one in the back :rolleyes:. I discovered later it was over a year old, too. I won't even get into the misuses the salesperson was advocating as she tried to help me install it.

ETA: I have NO qualms about going in to TJ's to try something out that I'm going to buy online. I figure they owe me.

Oh, and have to add my favourite car seat deal in Vancouver: http://www.lussobaby.ca/Graco-Comfortsport-Convertible-Car-Seat-in-Platinum-8C09PTI.htm :ROTFLMAO:

tam_shops

Missed the sarcasm on that one until I saw the price tag! I like that it's Platinum. :eek: I'm not shopping there, they have SR32 for more than the SR35. How long has it been since they made 32? I know they made 35 before ds2 & he's 2 in a few months...I am so not ok w/ them charging Full price for an old seat, I know people should shop around & compare, but even if it was $299 on sale from $319, I'd then say buyer beware of sales...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC