Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carseat TROUBLE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Carseat TROUBLE

I have a 16 month old and when he is in there and I tighten the belt all the way I can still fit my whol hand underneath it.

I have tried tightening the belt that is attached to the back of the carseat but it wont budge.

Moving the seat to a different spot in the car won't work and I dont have any money to go buy a new one.

I have looked at the instructions and it doesnt tell me how to tighten it or what I can do

It doesn't seem to be snagged either

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Carseat TROUBLE

What seat is it? Do you have it installed rear or forward facing?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

As wendy said, we need more information. What seat is it? I'm sure we can help you

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

CPS Technician CrunchyMaineMama's Avatar

Yep, what seat? Some Graco seats (maybe all?) have different "loops" for different sized children and harness locations making it difficult to get a snug fit if it isn't on the right one. I don't know if other brands have this as well, but that is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I had a friend call me from the hospital in a panic because they couldn't get their straps snug enough and it was still on the larger setting from when her older DD was using the seat.
    Rachel-CPST & Mom to 4 Now!
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

also, where are you inserting your hand?? at his shoulders... or at the tummy?

I know with a lot of convertibles, the straps are snug, but you can fit your hand under them at the stomach

you want to check for tightness at the collar bones... after you pull all the slack into the shoulders (hips if it's the evenflo Triumph seats) and then pull the harness adjuster to remove it... by pinching the straps.

if you pinch any slack, it's not tight enough.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

There is an "alpha Omega" tag on this post, so I bet that's the seat we're talking about.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Unregistered

Alpha Omega it says on the instruction seat. I believe it's Graco. It;s a convertable and I still have it rear-facing

Alpha Omega is by Dorel. It's probably labeled Cosco.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

My child has been in this carseat since 12 months and I never had a problem with it until november of 2010.

And its his chest and the stomach part where my whole hand can fit.

You only check for harness tightness at the shoulder. You do the pinch test. See if you can pinch anything. If you can, it's too loose. If not, you're good.

There may be a gap at the belly. That's ok.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Try the pinch test at the shoulder. Your little one may have just lost some baby pudge so his tummy doesn't go all the way out to the harness anymore. As long as it is tight at the shoulders, you're good.

And good for you for keeping him rearfacing!
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Unregistered

I think this carseat goes up to 80lbs. I bought it at Target.

I can find out EXACTLY what the carseat is when I go down there. I was told if you can fit two fingers inbetween the belt and the child its fine but anymore is bad. Never heard of the pinch test before

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

It actually harnesses to 40 lbs and then from 40-80 lbs can only be used as a booster seat. You can use it rearfacing though until 35 lbs, so that is good.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think this carseat goes up to 80lbs. I bought it at Target.

I can find out EXACTLY what the carseat is when I go down there. I was told if you can fit two fingers inbetween the belt and the child its fine but anymore is bad. Never heard of the pinch test before
    The two finger test is outdated. The pinch test is what you should go by.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Even the two finger test was to be done at the shoulder, though, not the chest or belly.

Unregistered

Well its too loose. It was tighter when he was younger and now its not. And nothing I have tried will work. Well thats not what it says hun. It goes up to 80lbs,I dont think you have the same carseat I do.

Can you post a picture? That would help SO much. Does the harness adjust when the seat is not installed or is it stuck then too?

(Yes, the seat goes to 80 pounds, but not with the harness. There are very few seats that harness that high and Cosco/Dorel/Alpha Omega is not one of those few seats)
    Renee
    CPST-I and Special Needs Trained
    Mom to 22yo seatbelt, 17yo seatbelt, 10yo Parkway, Harmony, or Big Kid, 10yo Parkway, Harmony, or Big Kid

OP please know that you are speaking to a board that knows every car seat on the US and most on international markets. Your seat does NOT harness to 80 pounds.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Is it this one?

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pro...tible-Car-Seat

Or this one?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Alpha-Omega-Elite-Hammer/dp/B001EUD8MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1294191980&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Cosco Alpha Omega Elite - Hammer: Baby[/ame]

Or this one?

http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-Alp.../dp/B001FB5BFM

They're basically all the same seat, different covers, and maybe they're Safety 1st and not Cosco (Safety 1st, Cosco, Maxi Cosi, and Eddie Bauer are all Dorel seats, so they're basically the same seat, different names.

If you look at all of those descriptions, you'll see they all harness to 40 pounds. Then those booster to 100, but yours does 80. I can't find the two versions out of a million of them that goes to 80 instead of 100 as a booster. But honest, the Britax Regent went to 80 pounds. The Britax Frontier went to 80 pounds. The Frontier 85 goes to 85, the Recaro ProSport goes to 90, and those are all the seats that have harness to 80 pounds or more that were not special needs.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to