Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

narrow convertible to leave room 4 passenger?

I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old. 3 y.o. rides in graco nautilus behind passenger side and 8 month old in evenflo triumph advance dlx in the middle. We have a hyundai santa fe.

The triumph is really WIDE and leaves almost no room for a passenger in the back seat. Not that big a deal, since we only have someone back there once in a while. however, my mom needs a convertible for her car so I was thinking of giving her the triumph and getting something more narrow for our own car (she's not concerned about room for a third passenger in the back).

I'm looking at the radians. Aside from being pricey, they don't look too cozy. I figure if I'm going to go narrow and non-cozy, I might as well spend $40 on a cosco scenera instead of close to $200 on a radian. On the other hand cozyness aside, the scenera only goes to 40lbs, whereas the radians go to 65 and 80. So that may save me from having to buy yet another seat before the 8 month old is ready for a booster. The 8 month old is a big boy (23 lbs), so I'm not sure he'd make it in the scenera alone until he's ready for a booster.

Any advice? Is there anything between the price of a scenera and the radians that would work well in this situation? Or are the radians just so wonderful that they are worth the extra? Also, how are the safety ratings of the scenera as compared with the radians?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: narrow convertible to leave room 4 passenger?

The Scenera is just as safe as the Radian when used properly. All seats are. There are no safety ratings.

Have you looked at the Safety 1st Complete Air? It's also narrow and tall.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785