Carseat TROUBLE

U

Unregistered

I have a 16 month old and when he is in there and I tighten the belt all the way I can still fit my whol hand underneath it.

I have tried tightening the belt that is attached to the back of the carseat but it wont budge.

Moving the seat to a different spot in the car won't work and I dont have any money to go buy a new one.

I have looked at the instructions and it doesnt tell me how to tighten it or what I can do

It doesn't seem to be snagged either

ADS

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Yep, what seat? Some Graco seats (maybe all?) have different "loops" for different sized children and harness locations making it difficult to get a snug fit if it isn't on the right one. I don't know if other brands have this as well, but that is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I had a friend call me from the hospital in a panic because they couldn't get their straps snug enough and it was still on the larger setting from when her older DD was using the seat.

Kat_Momof3

also, where are you inserting your hand?? at his shoulders... or at the tummy?

I know with a lot of convertibles, the straps are snug, but you can fit your hand under them at the stomach

you want to check for tightness at the collar bones... after you pull all the slack into the shoulders (hips if it's the evenflo Triumph seats) and then pull the harness adjuster to remove it... by pinching the straps.

if you pinch any slack, it's not tight enough.

U

Unregistered

Alpha Omega it says on the instruction seat. I believe it's Graco. It;s a convertable and I still have it rear-facing

U

Unregistered

My child has been in this carseat since 12 months and I never had a problem with it until november of 2010.

And its his chest and the stomach part where my whole hand can fit.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You only check for harness tightness at the shoulder. You do the pinch test. See if you can pinch anything. If you can, it's too loose. If not, you're good.

pinchtest.jpg

There may be a gap at the belly. That's ok.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
:yeahthat: Try the pinch test at the shoulder. Your little one may have just lost some baby pudge so his tummy doesn't go all the way out to the harness anymore. As long as it is tight at the shoulders, you're good. :)

U

Unregistered

I think this carseat goes up to 80lbs. I bought it at Target.

I can find out EXACTLY what the carseat is when I go down there. I was told if you can fit two fingers inbetween the belt and the child its fine but anymore is bad. Never heard of the pinch test before

rachelandtyke

It actually harnesses to 40 lbs and then from 40-80 lbs can only be used as a booster seat. You can use it rearfacing though until 35 lbs, so that is good.

hrice

I think this carseat goes up to 80lbs. I bought it at Target.

I can find out EXACTLY what the carseat is when I go down there. I was told if you can fit two fingers inbetween the belt and the child its fine but anymore is bad. Never heard of the pinch test before

The two finger test is outdated. The pinch test is what you should go by.

U

Unregistered

Well its too loose. It was tighter when he was younger and now its not. And nothing I have tried will work. Well thats not what it says hun. It goes up to 80lbs,I dont think you have the same carseat I do.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Can you post a picture? That would help SO much. Does the harness adjust when the seat is not installed or is it stuck then too?

(Yes, the seat goes to 80 pounds, but not with the harness. There are very few seats that harness that high and Cosco/Dorel/Alpha Omega is not one of those few seats)

hrice

OP please know that you are speaking to a board that knows every car seat on the US and most on international markets. Your seat does NOT harness to 80 pounds.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is it this one?

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...456CAO-Alpha-Omega-Elite-Convertible-Car-Seat

Or this one?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Alpha-Omega-Elite-Hammer/dp/B001EUD8MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1294191980&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Cosco Alpha Omega Elite - Hammer: Baby[/ame]

Or this one?

http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-Alpha-Omega-Elite/dp/B001FB5BFM

They're basically all the same seat, different covers, and maybe they're Safety 1st and not Cosco (Safety 1st, Cosco, Maxi Cosi, and Eddie Bauer are all Dorel seats, so they're basically the same seat, different names.

If you look at all of those descriptions, you'll see they all harness to 40 pounds. Then those booster to 100, but yours does 80. I can't find the two versions out of a million of them that goes to 80 instead of 100 as a booster. But honest, the Britax Regent went to 80 pounds. The Britax Frontier went to 80 pounds. The Frontier 85 goes to 85, the Recaro ProSport goes to 90, and those are all the seats that have harness to 80 pounds or more that were not special needs.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC