Question Routan, T&C, Caravan. Any install issues?

Cristina

We are getting a minivan.
Due mainly to the price we are limited to last years VW, Dodge, or Chrysler

Are there any install issues I should know about?
My 4 year old is in a Nautilus, and the 6 month old is in a Keyfit and we just got her a BV70 that she will move into in the next few weeks.

I am planning on getting the model with the 2 captain's chairs. We sometimes have an extra passenger and I use a Scenera (would go in the 3rd row?)

I am going to install my seats in the new car and take a good long test drive, but figured I would ask you guys if there were any major issues with seats in any of these cars before I made any decisions.

TIA

ADS

luckyclov

I have an '09 Grand Caravan. I actually chose it over other minivans, though I know that's not a popular opinion with all the Toyota/Honda love that floats around.:p I really like my GC, but I do have some complaints, which mostly revolve around the ridiculous slant/slope of the vehicle seats and the fact that there's only 1 top tether in the 3rd row with off-center lower anchors and a wonky middle seatbelt. Oh, and my gas mileage is embarrassing (13-14 MPG city). That said, I have never really had any major installation issues and actually get very nice, relatively easy, solid installs with all the seats that I have.

The Nauti installs fine in the captain's chair. As does the Britax Frontier85 (harness & booster mode), Marathon70 (RF & FF), and Radian (RF & FF). I did have a little difficulty with a RF Combi Coccoro, but it was acceptable with a noodle and a lot of sweat and swearing ;). The KeyFit installs like a dream as well, in the capt's chair. I haven't met a booster yet that isn't compatible with the capt's chair. I do have some minor issues in my 3rd row with some highback boosters - the ProBooster and Monterey seems to tip/tilt. However, the Britax Parkways (old style & SG) do just fine.

IIRC, the vehicle seat slant/slope in the Routan isn't quite as dramatic, but I could be remembering a different van.

Good luck.

Cristina

That helps a lot, thank you :)
The Routan has different captain's chairs. They are not stow and go so I guess they are more like "real" seats...so maybe the slant is different. I think the car is essentially the same in every other way.

Do you tether the Britax RF? Is there a good spot for that? I only peeked real quick in the T&C and wasn't sure about the track from the front passengers seat looking like a good place...

thanks again

luckyclov

Yes, I do tether my MA70 (and my RN, when it's in there) RF. There is a very easily identifiable spot under the front seats, a steel bar that runs across -and that's where I have it tethered. :) If you switch drivers and they have to move the seats to adjust, you just have to remember to loosen and remove the slack again with the tether strap. I don't have mine pulled tight, just the slack out, so it's not much of a hassle at all.

I also love that I can stuff most of my loose cargo/potential projectiles in the stow n go floor compartments.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
The gas mileage is atrocious! I rarely get over 15-16mpg :thumbsdown:

In my opinion it is NOT a good fit for more than 3 kids/car seats. 4 is OK but that forces you to put a RF child in the 3rd row OR leave a child untethered :thumbsdown: as there is only 1 TT back there.

The sloped seats are a PITA to install seats on in the 3rd row.

I do love (like Clov said) that I can stash my "projectiles" under the floor and keep the kids safer. love the adjustable pedals, rear view back up camera (though worthless now that there is salt and sand on it),power doors and hatch, and DVD players.

Have had 3 recalls on it since we bought it 7 months ago and had to have the thermostat replaced already.

Can you tell I am a hater today? LOL :whistle:

ETA here is the RF tether location info (ignore the baby specific talk in the post LOL) there are good pics on the post ;)

Last edited:

Cristina

the mpg scare me. I traded in my '06 X3 for a Civic because I was kinda sick over getting 17-18 :(

I love Honda, I would love to get a Honda...but I just can't afford one. Buying a VW, Dodge, Chrysler scares me.

We have an '09 Routan for the day. The seats were easy to get in.

Do you happen to know what the LATCH limits are?

luckyclov

Mine is 48 lbs. I would assume it's the same for the T&C and Routan, but I don't know for sure.

And yes, I also love the power doors and power liftgate and I like the idea of the rear view back-up camera, but it's rarely used. Infact, the one time I did use it, I backed into a shopping basket.:p This is actually my 2nd GC (with a Mazda5 in the middle) and, more than likely, I will get another one in the next year or so. We don't tend to drive our vehicles into the ground though, so long-term reliability isn't on our priority list.

I agree, though, I'm not sure the GC would be a good choice with more than 3 carseats IF you need more than 1 tether location in the 3rd row. I will only ever have boostered kids in my 3rd row, so it's not an issue for me, but it could pose an issue for those requiring the extra tethers/installation space, etc.

I've had 2 recalls on mine so far and a courtesy extension on the brake warranty (our front brakes were replaced at 10-ish K miles). The recalls don't bother me in the least and I have had absolutely no other issues with the van. Just the gas mileage. I only drive city really, and it's really stop and go. Like I said, I average 13-14 MPG. However, we got 22-23 MPG on our 1,000 road trip (all highway) last summer, which was pretty nice.

luckyclov

The recalls don't bother me in the least and I have had absolutely no other issues with the van
I just had to come back and comment on the above, which is what I said yesterday. As we went to leave for an outing, I noticed some wet spots on my garage floor. Apparently, something barn-smelling is leaking from underneath and it's now at the dealership. I realize now I probably jinxed myself.:p

kater-tot82

I have an 09 T&C and we like it. I also have the captains chairs. The Nautilus installed great there with LATCH and I think seatbelt too. I've also installed a RF Marathon there with no problem. The baby's KeyFit base was a piece of cake with the recline foot that's on it. My older daughter has ridden in various boosters/backless boosters and they've been fine.

Also, I don't think the gas mileage has been atrocious in mine, I drive a 45 mile commute to work round-trip every day and a tank of gas lasts me a week, and that includes driving on the weekends.

Cristina

I realize now I probably jinxed myself.:p

OOPS :)

Well, I picked up my shiny new Routan today. I got a screaming good deal, and I seem to get a new car every 2 years so hopefully (knock on wood, fingers crossed, jinx buy me a coke) if it decides to melt down it won't be while I still own it.

So far I am quite impressed. I am the queen of anti-minivan, so...

My poor 4 year old puked in her carseat today. Eww, thank goodness for leather because it seeped through every pore of that seat. I *think* I had the Nautilus in well, but the whole reclining seat thing is throwing me for a loop.

What are the rules about getting a car seat in a reclining seat? Do I just line up the recline on DD's Nautilus? Or do I adjust DD's Nautilus to fit a particular recline on the vehicle seat?

Baby is in her Keyfit until 4 yo is done borrowing it while her seat dries out...
but, when installing a RF seat, do I put the vehicle seat in the full upright position or do I recline them any particular amount?

I think the Routan seats must be more level than the T&C because they don't look very sloped. The 3 row seat stows, and those seats are definitely more sloped than the captain's chairs

TIA

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
don't have my T&C manual in the house to check the recline, but for safety, the seat should be as upright as possible. I can check my manual tomorrow :)

Just make sure the Nautilus is 100% on the seat. There can not be any overhang off the front of the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC