7 passenger SUV with tether anchors...ideas?

mpk3

Hi! :D

We are looking for a 7 passenger SUV. We want as many car seat configuration options as possible. Ideally, I'd like top-tether anchors in all 2nd and 3rd row locations. Or at least as many seating locations as possible. (Question: Can top-tether anchors be ADDED to a car if you ask the dealer?) Currently, all three of our kids have their carseats top-tethered to the car. It makes us feel so much more secure with their safety. We want baby #4 to have the option to be top-tethered too.

Criteria for SUV:

3 rows
2nd row captains chairs
LATCH and top-tether anchors in as many locations as possible
comfortable for 4 children (ages 6 and under) in carseats

We'd prefer not to get a minivan. If we did, we'd slightly consider the VW Routan. But, ideally we want an SUV.

Any suggestions?

Thank you! :thumbsup:

(If interested in our logistical issues, our two oldest kids are both in Frontier 85 seats, and our youngest switches between a Radian and Marathon. Baby #4 will be in an infant carrier.)

Last edited:
ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Pretty sure the Expeditions still have tether anchors in all rear locations. My Explorer does, but it has 3 seats in the 2nd row and 2 in the 3rd instead of the other way around.

If you vechile is new enough to have tethers already installed, you can't get more.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
You're going to have a hard time finding something with captains seats and more than one tether anchor in the third row.:thumbsdown:

I have a Yukon XL Denali and it has the captains chairs, works great for four kids but only one tether anchor in the third row.

The Expedition/Expedition EL also only have one tether anchor in the third row.

Toyota Sequoia has only one tether anchor in the third row.

Not sure what the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56 has but I am 90% sure it is only one tether anchor in the third row.

The only suggestion I have is that you will probably be okay with only having three tether anchors. If the baby rear faces to age 2 or 3 than by the time s/he goes forward facing and needs a tether anchor one of your older children might be ready to move to a booster...which wouldn't need a top tether.

crunchierthanthou

Not sure what the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56 has but I am 90% sure it is only one tether anchor in the third row.

Yes, and if it has a bench seat, still only two TAs in the second row.

The Acura MDX has two TAs in the third row, but only a bench for the second.

The Honda Pilot has three TAs in the 3rd row (plus LATCH on the passenger side on 09+), but again, only a bench for the second.

The Audi Q7 has captains chairs second row, with TAs outboard in the 3rd.

The Land Rover LR3 has two TAs in the third row. Same goes for the Mercedes GL, ML and R classes.

and ftr, the VW Routan is just a Chrysler with different trim.

tl01

Yes, and if it has a bench seat, still only two TAs in the second row.

The Acura MDX has two TAs in the third row, but only a bench for the second.

The Honda Pilot has three TAs in the 3rd row (plus LATCH on the passenger side on 09+), but again, only a bench for the second.

The Audi Q7 has captains chairs second row, with TAs outboard in the 3rd.

The Land Rover LR3 has two TAs in the third row. Same goes for the Mercedes GL, ML and R classes.

and ftr, the VW Routan is just a Chrysler with different trim.

Yes... I loved that my Mercedes GL had tethers in all rear seating positions. Three in the second row and two in the third row.

BrookeSLP

It still only has 2 seats in the 3rd row, and it appears that it has lower anchors in only 1 seat. I watched a video on FB that said "3 anchors" but I think the guy was referring to the 2 lower anchors and 1 top tether in the 1 seat.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/FordExplorer/posts/172207919481931

Right. She said "a third row" and as many LATCH and tether anchors as possible.
??????

I guess I am missing what you are saying. The new Explorer has three rows and more LATCH positions and tethers than other SUVs out there, at least that I have seen.

To the OP, IMO, a mini-van is the way to go with a 3 plus kids. It is so much more family friendly. The '11 Odyssey is awesome!

I'm dealing with at least 1, and prolly 2 vehicle choice mistakes. So, while I know it's not what you're asking for, do yourself a favor and go check out a '11 Odyssey. The Routan too if you feel like it, but most definitely the Odyssey.

We see it time and time again. Someone can't stand the thought of a minivan. Particularly with 3 or more kids, but even with just 2. Then, 2 yrs later, they end up selling the SUV early (and taking a bigger loss than necessary) and end up with the minivan anyways.

mpk3

Thank you to everyone for your insightful responses! :)

I was curious to hear the suggestions. I've only done minimal research, but have been feeling overwhelmed. Some considerations we've had so far are Toyota Sequoia (but I am having "trust issues" with Toyota), GMC Yukon, and Infiniti Q56. The 2nd row must be captains chairs.

I would never be able to drive something as large as, for example, a Suburban. I was hoping the choices I listed above would be smaller than something like that. But, I haven't checked anything out in person yet. I also don't need a massive cargo area like there is in the Suburban. I want some space, but only need just enough for a stroller and some bags.

The only suggestion I have is that you will probably be okay with only having three tether anchors. If the baby rear faces to age 2 or 3 than by the time s/he goes forward facing and needs a tether anchor one of your older children might be ready to move to a booster...which wouldn't need a top tether.

My 6 year old is still harnessed, but can probably get into booster mode soon in the Frontier 85. Thanks for letting me know that booster mode doesn't need a top tether. I didn't realize that. :thumbsup:

codex57 said:
I'm dealing with at least 1, and prolly 2 vehicle choice mistakes. So, while I know it's not what you're asking for, do yourself a favor and go check out a '11 Odyssey. The Routan too if you feel like it, but most definitely the Odyssey.

We see it time and time again. Someone can't stand the thought of a minivan. Particularly with 3 or more kids, but even with just 2. Then, 2 yrs later, they end up selling the SUV early (and taking a bigger loss than necessary) and end up with the minivan anyways.

I have had a Toyota Sienna and Town & Country before, so I do understand the practicality of minivans. When it comes to cost, there's no beating them. But, I was never impressed with the cargo space. Also, I live in snow country and have found with both of my vans that I was never able to have enough power to get through the snow, even with snow tires. SUVs are more powerful, so if I'm getting about the same cargo space as a van, I figured that I might as well have an SUV.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Avoid the Routan. only 3 sets of LATCH and 3 top tethers... NOT 4+ kids family friendly :thumbsdown: I hate mine more and more every day! :(

I have had a Toyota Sienna and Town & Country before, so I do understand the practicality of minivans. When it comes to cost, there's no beating them. But, I was never impressed with the cargo space. Also, I live in snow country and have found with both of my vans that I was never able to have enough power to get through the snow, even with snow tires. SUVs are more powerful, so if I'm getting about the same cargo space as a van, I figured that I might as well have an SUV.

How long ago did you have them? There's a pretty huge difference btw the 1st gen Sienna and the 2nd gen one (2004+). In terms of cargo space (basically when the well and the fold flat 3rd row appeared) and power. The 3.5L V6 is pretty decent, but it's certainly no V8 like you can get on newer SUVs. For older V8s, the Toyota 3.5L V6 actually is more powerful (some Ford V8s particularly spring to mind).

Not sure when the Caravans (and related minivans) got the folding 3rd row, but they've had power issues even til 2010. 2011s finally have a decent V6 engine. If you're buying used, well, forget the Chrysler minivans.

mpk3

How long ago did you have them? There's a pretty huge difference btw the 1st gen Sienna and the 2nd gen one (2004+). In terms of cargo space (basically when the well and the fold flat 3rd row appeared) and power. The 3.5L V6 is pretty decent, but it's certainly no V8 like you can get on newer SUVs. For older V8s, the Toyota 3.5L V6 actually is more powerful (some Ford V8s particularly spring to mind).

Not sure when the Caravans (and related minivans) got the folding 3rd row, but they've had power issues even til 2010. 2011s finally have a decent V6 engine. If you're buying used, well, forget the Chrysler minivans.

My Sienna was early 2nd generation, but I still wasn't in love with it. You had mentioned vechicle mistakes in a previous post, and I can relate to that. It may sound crazy, but I felt my Sienna was a vechicle mistake for me. I love my current 3 row SUV, but that will be going to DH when we have baby#4 since it won't comfortably seat 4 kids in carseats.

DH and I researched a little last night. It looks like our options are GMC Yukon XL Denali, Chevy Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56. DH likes the Lexus LX, but ideally I want captains chairs in row two (and I think the price tag is over the top). The first three seem overly large to me, but the Nissan/Infiniti might be too small. I'm frustrated because I don't want to be driving something massive and I don't need overly massive amounts of trunk space. But, I do need adequate trunk space.

I'm frustrated because there seems to be no inbetween with the SUVs. It's either super large or too small for what we need. :(

I think I'm going to have to look at our options in person. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed! :thumbsup:

manateesmom

Ford Flex, maybe? 09 Flex Limited has 2nd row captain's chairs with latch and tethers, one seat in the 3rd row definitely has latch and tether, not sure about other tethers in 3rd row. I agree that you're going to have trouble finding 4 full sets of latch and tether in an SUV . . .

ks1978

I wanted to chime in as far as cargo space, I thought we were increasing it by going from a minivan to an Expedition. Not even close with the third row in use. Couldn't even put a 'regular' stroller back there. I WISH I could go back and get another minivan.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Not exactly what you are asking but just thought I would throw my 2cents in.

I have 4 kids (and adding another this summer) and I LOVE my suburban. I have no problem putting 5 carseats (and can squeeze a 6th in) when I need to haul an extra or two. And most seats fit in fairly easily - 3rd radian is a knuckle buster. I have plenty of room for a stroller/diaper bag/groceries/etc. We ranch and I can haul feed, get salt, and chase cows in it. I can easily pull a trailer, and has real 4X4 (2H, auto 4, 4H and 4L). Several we looked at only had auto 4X4 - and there are times I need it locked in before the car thinks I do. We went for the Z71 for this one (off road package) we were just to hard on the car like suspension and handling with the last one. If you go for a 2009 or newer they have built in blue tooth that works awesome, even with the kids making noise.

mpk3

manateesmom & ks1978- Thank you for your input! :thumbsup:

Not exactly what you are asking but just thought I would throw my 2cents in.

I have 4 kids (and adding another this summer) and I LOVE my suburban. I have no problem putting 5 carseats (and can squeeze a 6th in) when I need to haul an extra or two. And most seats fit in fairly easily - 3rd radian is a knuckle buster. I have plenty of room for a stroller/diaper bag/groceries/etc.

Ha-ha! No problem, I really appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to comment, even if it's to rave about the Suburban. (Just teasing!) I actually like the Suburban. It just makes me nervous because it's so big. I'm not very good with large vehicles. :D But, I know when it comes to a large SUV, they are the best bang for your buck. After all of my research over the past few days, the Suburban is by far the best value.

I'm curious to hear how you configure your carseats with 4 children and a 5th on the way (Congrats!!) How many tether anchors are there in the car? I thought there would be the standard 3 (captains chairs and one in the 3rd row). That's the thing that concerns me. I like having ALL of my car seats tethered. How do you make it work?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC