How often do you weigh/measure your kids?

Baylor

Just curious.. It seems that they can change so fast.. What do you think is reasonable?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Babies, once a month or every two. Piper, every four or six months. Maybe a bit more.

When Piper was approaching her rear facing weight limit on her Wizard I weighed her every few days. At that point I decided it was stupid and I turned her forward (she was 31.5 pounds naked in a 33 pound seat).

Wendy

mamakc

Lately I've been doing it once or twice a month. Only because they both very obviously had hit a growing spurt and I was curious. DD was almost to the 40lb milestone so I wanted to know when it became official because she was still sitting in DS's RF CA when he wasn't with us in the car. Normally I go a few months between measuring.

geekKT

Right now I don't at all. I know my kid is somewhere over 22lbs but he's nowhere near 35, the RF limit of my seat.

When he was approaching 22, so around 4-5-6 months, I was weighing him every week to eek out as much time in the TF as possible before I had to put the headrest on, and started slowly adjusting him to be more upright.

If he's still in this seat when we get closer to 35 I'll have to weigh a bit more often, but how often that is will depend on how old he is and how fast he's gaining.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Lately I've been doing it every couple weeks for both of them because we are approaching some car seat milestone marks and outgrowing limits. I just had to switch DS2 out of his MA's because he's passed the 33 lb RF limit, and I'm watching DS1 closely as he approaches the 48-lb LATCH limit for his seats.

Normally, though? Maybe once every month or two.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter's about 62#. Her boosters go to 100# or more. I'm not worried about weight. I don't care about her overall height as much as how the belts fit, and I do a check once a week or so.

rachelandtyke

Both my kids are far from outgrowing their seats, so I don't weigh them often for car seat purposes. But I do weigh them at least once a week or so.

When DD was getting close to the rf limit on her seat, I weighed her probably everyday that we were going to leave the house to be sure she was OK, lol. I was just not ready to turn her. We actually made it quite a few months this way. Then cold weather came (and she was past 4), so I went ahead and turned her since her clothes and shoes would weigh more and vary more, so I didn't want to keep doing it. Turns out, I could have turned her back when spring came and her clothes got lighter again, but I left her at that point. Finally she is now too heavy to rf in any of our seats.

Emi's Mommy

Right now DD is weighed once a week and measured once a month, but there is a scale at my mommy group so it's not like I have to go out of my way.

Shaunam

I weigh my kids very often, but they both have issues gaining. Charlie gets weighed every few days. She has *serious* problems gaining. Adrian about once every other week. He already lost the 3 lbs he managed to put on last month. :rolleyes:

If my kids were good eaters/gainers, I'd probably weigh them once every few months, unless one was getting close to a weight limit on a car seat. Then it would be more often.

aeormsby

Probably about monthly. We mark their height on the door frame and they like to have me check to see if they've grown. They also like to check their 'number' on the scale. I do need to start checking DS a little more often, he was 29lb at the Dr a couple weeks ago and we have 33lb RF Marathons.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I weigh DD4 weekly as she is 33 pounds fully dressed and her RF seat is 35lb. The others are weighed evry 1-2 months.

rodentranger

When they feel heavier or seem taller.
Last week, ODS came downstairs dressed in pants that looked like they were *just* too short. I had him stand against The Measuring Wall and sure enough, he had grown 1/2" in two weeks! We always mark on birthdays and half birthdays at least.
I've been weighing YDS every few weeks since he's 30 lbs in a 33 lb rf seat and gains in large spurts. He went from 27-28 to 30 in a matter of about a month.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I weigh my kids when they go to the doctor, and once in a while in between. They are all nowhere near the weight limits for their seats, so I don't have to worry about it. DS is in a booster, and DD1 is FF in 65-lb Radians - she's about 38 lbs. right now. DD2 is very tiny and still sees the doctor at least every three months, sometimes more often than that for "weight checks" when the doctor isn't happy with her weight gain. She's about 18 lbs. in a Coccoro, which has a 33-lb. RF limit.

Baylor

When they feel heavier or seem taller.
Last week, ODS came downstairs dressed in pants that looked like they were *just* too short. I had him stand against The Measuring Wall and sure enough, he had grown 1/2" in two weeks! We always mark on birthdays and half birthdays at least.
I've been weighing YDS every few weeks since he's 30 lbs in a 33 lb rf seat and gains in large spurts. He went from 27-28 to 30 in a matter of about a month.

It is crazy how they do that isn't it? I bought all new clothes for DS1 for school and within 2 months they were all too short on him!

zactayaus

I usually only weigh and or measure them when they look like they've grown or I notice that they're clothes are getting tight or short on them. I will also weigh more often in the summer because dd and ds2 usually end up loosing weight that they can't afford to lose from being so active. I will also weigh and measure if I'm trying out a seat and take pics to post on here.:D I just weighed the baby yesterday because he felt like he gained weight when I was picking him up. I was right. He had gained a whole pound!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The girls get weighed at least once a week, because they love playing Wii Fit :cool: The baby I weigh once a week or so to check his weight. I have no idea how tall any of them are :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Though I generally weigh myself at least twice per day, I don't weigh my child passengers at all.

I am afraid to weigh them because I don't want them fixating on their weight. I think constantly weighing a child, especially one age three or older, could be problematic due to fixation on weight. I remember being concerned that I was gaining too much weight when I was four years old and got weighed twice in less than a month due to an illness. When the doctor said, "Wow! You've grown!" I got worried. I won't do that to the kids.

They get weighed at the doctor's office, which is fine with me. I don't push the limits of the seats enough to worry about growth spurts. I know that DN#1 is around 50 pounds and she rides in a Parkway SG (in my car), so she is fine. I know that DN#2 is around 40 pounds and she rides in a Nautilus(in my car), so she is fine. I know that DN#3 is around 35 pounds and he rides in a Nautilus(in my car), so he is fine. I know that DN#4 is around 25-30 pounds and he rides in a Radian XT(in my car), so he is fine.

Chely7425

I don't really... the baby gets weighed at his doctor's appointments, but he is only 10 pounds and in a 30 pound infant seat so I am really not worried. The big boys are 28/29 pounds and 31/32 pounds, and in 45 pounds Radians. I just keep an eye on their height in the seat since thats all that really matters at this point :)

Baylor

I am wondering if I could get my 2.5 yr old rear facing for the winter.. If I got a Radian 80sl they are 45 rear facing correct? He has seemed to get taller but lost a few lbs..

I will measure him tomorrow and see how he does in harness height.. He is on the second to last Nautlius harness height. It would then give me a spare I could use for either child correct?

christineka

The kids are weighed every now and then when they go to the doctor. I only start worrying about weight when at one of those doctor's appointments shows that my child is getting close to the weight limit of their car seat. When ds was newly 3, he weighed 29 pounds and was in a seat that rear-faced to 30 pounds. I got worried, but figured out how to put him in a seat that rear-faced to 40 pounds.

The others, I have no worries about. My baby weighs 19 pounds. My 6 year old weighs 34 pounds. We have three seats that harness to 80 pounds. If my older kids need or want to be harnessed, as long as they fit by height, I know for certain that they fit by weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC