Installation Service Ad

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I got an ad on CSO for this site: http://safeandsoundcarseats.ca/

I found the images used on their page rather amusing... :whistle: an over-reclined RF seat (although I recognize it's most likely the lens and camera angle that's giving that impression... but still, they could have found a better image,) the same child again, FF too young and both shots done in what's likely a non-Canadian seat (because there's no chest clip.) :rolleyes:

Makes their business look a little sketchy to me. :whistle:

Last edited:
ADS

Baylor

They are kidding me right? Even as an untrained parent, I see many issues here!!! What the heck!!!! :confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, 1000 installs? I have notes on nearly 400 seats I've done. I'm sure there are another 200 out there that I don't have notes on (either no paperwork at all, or the paperwork is someone else's). That'd still leave me about 400 installs short. Guess I'm too inexperienced.

And boy are they expensive! I charge $25 for the first seat, $10 for each additional seat.

And what's the difference between a check and an inspection? A parent with me gets about an hour because that's how long it takes to make sure they know about their seat and show them the different ways to install it, and then have them do it. Do they honestly just reach a hand in and give a wiggle, call that an inspection, and charge for it?

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I work with one tech who probably does 1,000 seats a year, but I'd say she's pretty unusual. The company I work for also charges more than $45, but the market supports it.

That said, yeah...based on those photos alone I'd skip that service. Most people don't know better though.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Oh boy... that's the worst website I've seen since.... 1996? And for all their experience (1000+ installs for each tech!), they don't seem to be conveying some pretty basic best practice information.

I rate this: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Two thumbs down!

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I should call and have an inspection/install done.

Im pretty sure this "company" has/had a booth at the Pickering Flea Market. He offered a free inspection, and would charge for an install if my seats were not in right.

FF Radian for a 44lb 3.5yo and a RF MA for a 24lb 2yo with the seat tethered RF.

My 2yo wasnt allowed to be RF and my 3.5yo was to big for a harness. :eek: :confused: :eek:

I showed him my CRST certificate, and corrected him. He was sooooo confused LOL

unityco

Both pics are of the same kid, FF'ing ;) But yeah, awful pics. And awful website.

You think? I guess I could see it that way too. :shrug-shoulders: I was looking at the headrests, thinking they were on the front seats, but I guess they could be the rear.

Perhaps the photos were supposed to be showing poor use, thus the need for a check up.:)

LOL. :thumbsup:

Baylor

You think? I guess I could see it that way too. :shrug-shoulders: I was looking at the headrests, thinking they were on the front seats, but I guess they could be the rear.

LOL. :thumbsup:

I see the front headrest too it even looks angled forward away from the seat.. I think that first pic is their Rf pic.. It is a bad one. A really bad one. If I saw that before coming here I would think my rfacing seat needed to be laying on the seat practically to be installed right.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I wonder if they ever actually get any calls off that website. It looks so unprofessional I can't imagine entrusting those people with my child's safety.

unityco

I wonder if they ever actually get any calls off that website.

I'm also surprised that the only communication option they offer from a website (you know, on the internet? The same tubes that email goes down? ;)) is the phone. :confused: (But maybe that's just me... I hate the phone. :eek:)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm very curious about the 1000+ seats before working with them as well. Knowing how limited clinics are in CAnada, and knowing the length of time it takes with a parent, that's a whole lot of seats they'd require before the person could "work for them."

I've done a lot of seats, and have a lot of experience - but I doubt I've done 1000 seats. I would guess I'm in the neighborhood of 400 or so - I lost count awhile ago now. :eek: (Though I don't count the seats I sign off on at check events.)

The site is really pretty darn horrible. If they had an email I'd be tempted to email them about it.

I imagine they don't get many calls off the site though. One can hope anyways.

unityco

I'm very curious about the 1000+ seats before working with them as well... I've done a lot of seats, and have a lot of experience - but I doubt I've done 1000 seats.

Now I've gotta wonder too. With two of our VERY experienced techs saying they've only done in the neighbourhood of 400, I wonder who these 'super' techs they're hiring are (and how we've never heard of them. ;))

Maybe it was a typo and they meant 100. :whistle:

(and maybe all the traffic to their site from CSO will draw them over here. ;))

smackeen

Wow, I have to say that site looks ancient. It also only has the bare minimum for safety. 1 & 22lbs, 4 & 40lbs. Not even a little blurb about using seats to their max limits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC