Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Pilot 2011 poor brakes?

We are trying to decide between a new Honda pilot or Acura Mdx and are looking for more info. On reports of long stopping distance and poor braking of the pilot. Hoping someone will tell me that the 2011 pilot has updated braking system from previous models. the Mdx stops on a dime..... Any input?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Pilot 2011 poor brakes?

I don't know much about the '11 Pilot other than it's increased LATCH options, but I have no problems at all with my 2003 Pilot's brakes or stopping distance.
    When I drove a vehicle without ABS, I just increased my following distance. I would assume I would do the same if the only thing I disliked about a vehicle was it's stopping distance or brake system.
    Contrary to what my mother insists, ABS (or lack of) or the vehicle's natural stopping ability is not the predictor of collision avoidance...the driver is.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I'd be surprised if there is a difference in brakes between the Pilot and the MDX. They are the exact same vehicle, but the MDX has higher-end trim, right? I didn't think there was a difference in brakes, transmission, engine, etc. I could be wrong, though!

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

There's typically very slight differences btw the luxury brand model and the standard, but differences are possible. Just compare the secs on reminds.com or something. I'd do it but I'm out and it's hard to check on my phone.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

I've always kept an eye on the Pilot, MDX, and the Odyssey since those have been my top picks since 2008... but the Pilot still isn't *there* for me as far as "spoil me" features. The MDX is a luxury SUV, and the Pilot is a mid-range SUV on the same platform (not sure if that's true for 2011). If you're comparing them, and price isn't a huge factor, you'll be so much happier with the MDX. The Pilot and Ody both drive "heavy"...test drive and you'll see what I mean.

{Says the girl who just ordered another Ody..)

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com