what to do?

alake

S. is five years old, forty one pounds and 41 inches tall. Turned five Christmas Eve, and is now boostered full time. I picked her up for a sleep over today, just her. I had taken her booster out last night so I could be a designated driver, but had left the EFTA in my car, because the people I was driving had a three year old with them. Summer road in L's EFTA no problem, and told me that she would rather be in a harnessed car seat then in a booster, she is safer. I am now looking at getting two car seats. L. I still think will go into a MR, rear facing. She is 28 pounds, and 36 inches. Wears usually size 24 months, some size 2 and three, depending on the brand. S. Wears mostly size four, but has gained length in her legs which has bumped her up to a size five, but the waiste is huge, she is constantly pulling up the pants, and complaining about them. I am looking at the Radian, a Frontier or a Nautilus for S. Have my only experience with the Nautilus. Looking for opinions on the other two. Any reviews on them??

ADS

babyherder

I'd go with the Frontier or the Nautilus unless you plan to use the radian rf at some point. I think between the Frontier and the Nautilus I would just go with whichever one you and your dd like best. I'd try to find a store that carries them and play with them a little. I'd also tell your S. that she is safe in a booster. For a 5 year old that's over 40 lbs and sits correctly in a booster we don't really know if a harness or a booster is safer. If she wants a harness and you can provide one, that's fine. But I don't want her to feel unsafe or scared in a booster.

Keeanh

Your little one should be fine in a MR. I agree, just try out the Nautilus & Frontier. I personally have my eye on the Frontier because my 6yo thinks it's more comfortable for sleeping, and because it seems a better fit for bigger kids. However, the Nautilus goes on sale for less than $200, while the Frontier seems to be perpetually $300.

alake

money isn't an issue. I just want something that she will be happy with. I know that L. loves the MR, I have tried her in it at Walmart, but will purchase else where, going to hopefully get them both Pink car seats.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
But I don't want her to feel unsafe or scared in a booster.

This exactly - I think it's important to have a good talk with her about this before moving her back in to a harness.

I know with my dd, she preferred the harness up until around the time she started grade 1, but her reasoning was really more a responsibility thing - she takes being in a booster and the responsibility to sit still seriously, and it was harder for her to do on longer trips. So in her case, she was choosing the harness because it was easier for her, but started choosing the booster when she felt ready to be in one for longer trips. I knew when she chose booster over harness for a 1.5hr trip that she was ready to move to a booster full time in our primary vehicle.

IMO, the responsibility issue that my dd had - even though she never outright said it that way, is a good reason to put a child back in a harness. But if she's wanting it because she thinks a booster isn't safe, then there needs to be a talk about a booster being perfectly safe for her at her age and size.

Sometimes kids hear the things that parents talk about and it gives them ideas, even when we don't realize it's what they're hearing. (And I use the words "what they're hearing" because sometimes what we say and what a child hears aren't the same thing.)

Eventually she's going to be in a booster no matter what, so it's really important that she knows it's a safe and appropriate option for her. :thumbsup:

If you do decide to harness her again, I would factor in whether you're going to hand the seat down to your younger kiddo, or if you want to use the seat as a booster after. Then try her in both seats and see what both you and her think of them.

alake

update with torso height and new weights.

I measured the girl's torso height today. S. has a seated torso height of 14 inches, and L. has a torso height of 12 inches. S. weighs in at 38 pounds, she is sick, and L. weighs in at 26 also sick.

Leche Mami

Re: update with torso height and new weights.

I measured the girl's torso height today. S. has a seated torso height of 14 inches, and L. has a torso height of 12 inches. S. weighs in at 38 pounds, she is sick, and L. weighs in at 26 also sick.

That is good information to know because if you are in Canada and she isn't yet 40 lbs, she can't legally ride in a booster yet.

Have fun picking something out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC