Question 4 Car-seats in an F250?

A

Alex

Yep, you read right. I'm about to have baby #4. We have an Odyssey for our primary car, and that's in good shape. My backup kid hauler is 2001 F250 Crew Cab. I'm not sure if I can turn the passenger airbag off.

I have 6 seatbelts in the truck -- 2 lap belts, and 4 shoulder belts (including Driver seat). The F250 does not have latches due to its vehicle weight.

My kids are aged:
59 months
36 months
14 months
and we're expecting within 2 weeks

I have 1 booster for my oldest, 2 front facing car-seats, and 1 infant seat. What is the best\safest location for these seats? Your help is appreciated.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I would probably do is harness the not yet five year old and put them in the front in the lap belt position. Then put the other three rear facing across the back.

If you don't reharness the four year old, or rear face the three year old, it is at least imperative that you rear face the 14 month old and baby. So that means they need to sit in the back. Then you'd put the oldest harnessed child in the front, so that would then be the three year old. You'd put the four year old on the side in the back, and the baby and 14 month old next to one another in the back

What's your budget for new seats, and how much does everyone weigh?

Here's a link that shows why rear facing beyond the out dated advice (it hasn't been the recommendation since 2002) is best. http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

I deleted your other thread, as cross posting is not permitted, and this is the appropriate forum.

Wendy

A

alex

Thanks for input Wendy. You've given me some information that I didn't have. I was leaning towards putting the oldest in the front seat, and bringing their seat with them. So that's wrong. I need to put a harnessed, front facing seat in the front center, and if I use a booster then it must be at one of the shoulder strap locations in the back.

The almost 5 year old - 42 lbs
3 year old - 30 lbs
14 month - 21 lbs
My wife is a little heavy right now since she's 38 weeks pregnant, but the F250 can handle the extra weight.

My budget isn't an issue, but I just don't want 50 car-seats laying around the garage.

Thanks for the link. I'll read up on this, and can rotate some seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL Thanks, you gave me a laugh. I hope your wife doesn't mind you saying that. LOL

You should definitely turn your 14 month old back around. Depending on the seat, they may not have met the minimum forward facing weight limit. And even if they have, it's up to 500% safer to remain rear facing. In the carseat world, you want to aim for the maximum limits, kids are not minimums.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC