Bringing strollers across the border

canadiangie

I think it's the mini glider by pv? I'll have to check tomorrow. I'm in bed with the noob right now. Pm me and remind me to check. :)

Keenah, a lot of ebay dealers will ship to Canada. I've used that before. Otherwise, was it you that is 4hr away? Then I'd ship a bunch of stuff all at once & I'd go down for the night & return w/ it all...

I use Hagens of Blaine. $2.50 per package. No annual fee, they email you when your package is there.

As for smuggling, not worth $30 imho, that's all I paid for my P3, but you're right if you have no box & you went down w/ out stroller & returned w/ 1 stroller that you used & got the wheels dirty while down there, but they'd still be able to tell it *looked* new... In fact when I went to PR when YDS was a babe, they actually asked me once how many strollers I had, they're onto that imho, especially down there...

I've always gotten through w/ $200 at Blaine. More like $200 for Point Roberts. Anything over that seems to be random, sometimes you get through, sometimes you do not...

Canadianangie, WHICH running bike did you get? And, from where? I got ODS the Walmart one, great for a 3-5YO. It was too big for YDS, so I got him the Wee ride one.. But, it's too big too. He's got super short legs, long torso, how helpful in the car seat world! LOL Now, I'm debating between the Strider & Laufrad, but are smaller.... This place seems to have no tax & free shipping...

ADS

tam_shops

Keenah, a lot of ebay dealers will ship to Canada. I've used that before. Otherwise, was it you that is 4hr away? Then I'd ship a bunch of stuff all at once & I'd go down for the night & return w/ it all...

I use Hagens of Blaine. $2.50 per package. No annual fee, they email you when your package is there.

As for smuggling, not worth $30 imho, that's all I paid for my P3, but you're right if you have no box & you went down w/ out stroller & returned w/ 1 stroller that you used & got the wheels dirty while down there, but they'd still be able to tell it *looked* new... In fact when I went to PR when YDS was a babe, they actually asked me once how many strollers I had, they're onto that imho, especially down there...

I've always gotten through w/ $200 at Blaine. More like $200 for Point Roberts. Anything over that seems to be random, sometimes you get through, sometimes you do not...

Canadianangie, WHICH running bike did you get? And, from where? I got ODS the Walmart one, great for a 3-5YO. It was too big for YDS, so I got him the Wee ride one.. But, it's too big too. He's got super short legs, long torso, how helpful in the car seat world! LOL Now, I'm debating between the Strider & Laufrad, but are smaller.... This place seems to have no tax & free shipping...

Aprilmom

I've ordered from Country Moose kids, amazing customer service! I got my BabyJogger bike trailer/stroller from there and a few other items. It didn't take very long for my order to get to me either.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks! :) They're still pretty pricey, though. :thumbsdown: The service my parents use in Montana is half the price (or even less) without any membership fee.

My friend also uses CBIUSA. There are 2 options to this service.

Option #1: Per package plan – $5.95 USD per package
Option #2: Annual Membership plan – $108 USD with unlimited $1.80 per package for 12 months

For user with low traffic, Option 1 is a good way to do it. But if there are lots of packages, use Option 2 makes better sense, I think.

Anyway, there are other services out there. Here is the whole thread and hopefully something will be better http://forums.redflagdeals.com/usa-mail-parcel-forwarding-service-20166/

Btw, I don't even bother comparing what I had to pay here in the 'hub' of Ontario vs. what I paid out in Winnipeg. Pointless because everything is way more expensive here :(

SynEpona

Thanks! :) They're still pretty pricey, though. :thumbsdown: The service my parents use in Montana is half the price (or even less) without any membership fee.

I guess it doesn't seem that bad to me, but I've never lived in or near Montana :) The only places my family lives are here in Ontario, or on the Island in BC, so I usually have the 'cheaper' options, compared to my sister in BC! I do consolidate small parcels with a friend in the US, and then she forwards one large box to CBI via FedEx, which still saves me a lot of money -- that's not really feasible for strollers etc, but I don't see 6$ to pick up a stroller as a big expense. We also ship things directly to installers in the Niagara Falls NY area when it suits -- ie: snow tires :) (why on earth did no one w/in 4 hours in Ontario have brand name snow tires available for a 4 year old Expedition?)

If you're saving over 100$ on anything by buying it in the US, then paying 6$ to pick it up is STILL a 94$ savings :) Plus, you get to hit the good outlet mall since you're right there. DH has a Nexus card for work, so he does the cross border runs, leaves our house at 8am on a Saturday, picks up the parcels, hits the outlet mall & is often home by 11am. We plan our purchases/shipments to coincide with seasonal shopping trips -- DH usually wants to boost his work wardrobe at the Bass & CK outlets about 4 times a year.

mum2two

I know my friend goes over all the time to fill up the car, she lives in Tswassen (however you spell it) and has a PO box there as well. Don't have to pay duty on gas!

U

Unregistered

I saw that some one mentioned buying from Country Moose Kids. I wouldn't recommend them. I ordered and paid for a pram over 6 weeks ago and it hasn't arrived. I have sent numerous e-mails and no one replies. I have tried to call but the phone is never answered and the voicemail box is constantly full. Do not buy from this company. They will take your money and then cut off all communication and not send your item. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

FrauDrA

I had one of my stroller shipped to Point Roberts (I use TSB), and I imported one from Germany (shipped to our door). I don't want to tempt fate, but I've never had any duty assessed at PR. The stroller - a Bee+ - was the first thing I'd had shipped there, and although I assembled and used it there, I had the boxes and all paperwork and was prepared to pay duty. Thrilled that it wasn't assessed!

We did have to pay duty on the one we imported from Europe, but got it back with a whole lot of paperwork. We actually bought it in person, but had it shipped to save on German VAT (and because it had to be ordered in anyway, it wasn't even available when we bought it). It was therefore covered under our import allowances, and we had to get some paperwork done when we landed. We paid duty on delivery, but it was refunded after we submitted the paperwork from the airport.

The one I had shipped to PR is a Bugaboo, so I've no worries about warranty issues. The Euro stroller is a Mutsy, and I've just dealt with the North American rep and have had lots of help from her when needed.

tam_shops

Just checked my Peg P3 and Maclaren, no such information on either. No French on either. I don't even see any model information on the P3, but the tag may have come off. I'm just guessing, but it's possible local border guards are *less* picky than those that deal with the mail stuff, but not having that information caused me no problem for the half a dozen strollers I bought and sold here. I replaced several of my strollers yearly, buying low and selling the same, to keep them fresh looking and b/c it was fun! LOL

And, like everyone else, I now use MBI in Blaine, the customer service and later opening hours works better for my work schedule. BUT, I do not like how it's open late on Saturday, Hagen's is open earlier Saturday mornings. Prices equal out to be about the same...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC