Question Somewhat OT- transporting dogs

mamakc

I got a puppy. I don't have the pet buckle yet because she's still growing. I want to wait until she's big enough for the big one before I get it. Her first vet visit, she was tiny and I put her in a borrowed pet crate on the floor of the car. Her second vet visit she didn't fit in the crate anymore, so I shortened and locked her leash (retractable leash) and buckled the seatbelt through it and locked the belt thinking it'd keep her in place at least. On the way back, she chewed through the leash and got in DS's car seat (he wasn't with me that time). She started chewing on the chest clip, thank goodness it was only a short ride or some real damage could have been done!

I'm new to this dog owning thing, especially her being a puppy, and she keeps surprising me as to the mischief she gets into... lol So I need suggestions on how to transport her without destroying things... I have a large metal crate that I could put in the car, but it would be very difficult to get in there (would have to take it apart to get it into the garage, then move DD's car seat and fold down the 3rd row..) The vet is only about a mile away so it hardly seems worth the effort. How do I get her there without her chewing up the car's interior or the kids' car seats?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
How big is she? She doesn't have to be all that big to fit in the "regular" Pet Buckle (I think 20 pounds?). :)

mamakc

she's probably close to 20lbs now. She was 14 at her last vet visit. I'm worried that even w/ the pet buckle she will chew stuff. Including, but not limited to, the vehicle seat, the seatbelt, the kid's car seats, and the pet buckle itself. :)

Aurezalia

If you're worried about her chewing while you can't supervise, I'd suggest a basket muzzle for the car. (In addition to the pet buckle, of course.)
My other suggestion is, depending on your car, a crate firmly lashed down in the cargo area. That way you don't need to worry about her chewing anything she shouldn't be!
Is she crate trained at home? (If not, I highly suggest it!)

Aurezalia

yes we crate train at home! Thank goodness! lol She's going to be a handful.... ;)

Oh, good! What kind of dog is she? I have 2 Labs, so I know the definition of handful! ;)
I prefer traveling with them crated rather than contained in a harness, myself. Less worries about them attempting to roam the car and get into something they shouldn't. ;) I can't currently crate in my sedan, but when I get an SUV I will be crating them during travel.
These crates are expensive, but worth it as they've been crash tested. Plastic crates can shatter, and dogs have been impaled on traditional metal wire crates.

mamakc

She's a Labradinger (lab & springer spaniel). I think I would rather use a crate in the car, because I'm a stickler about keeping my car clean...lol (I know, shouldn't have had kids or got a dog...) Thanks for the link to those crates, I'll check them out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC