Texas car accident (death mentioned)

ADS

4boysmom

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26293989/detail.html

I can't believe the senators son and grandkids were not wearing seatbelts! You'd think she'd know better.

Her *3* yo grandchild was not wearing a seatbelt?! On what planet is a *3* considered safe without at least a booster. We of course know 3 yos should still be in 5 pt harnesses but there are several steps between 5 pt and in a seat belt let alone not even wearing that seat belt.

Kobain's Mommy

This story makes me beyond angry! The lady that died is a online friend's friend. She showed us pictures of the baby. He's so tiny and we are all praying he'll make it.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I mentioned this accident in a thread the other day...it pisses me off because she has been on a crusade to get bills passed for wearing seat belts and be able to pull over and ticket drivers when they have passengers not buckled. What a hypocrite! UGH, she really sickens me.

crunchierthanthou

That's terrible. :(

I wonder if it's the "no seatbelt on a road trip" mentality. My mom is like that. She'll wear it everywhere around town, but get out on the highway and next thing you know, she's unbuckled. :hitselfonhead:

Baylor

I don't know why people don't wear seat belts.. it makes me angry to no end that people don't make sure their children are safe and secured and on top of that I feel like how can you not want to make sure you are as safe and secured so that your children have less of a chance of being alone in the car with a dead mother or father..

I don't understand in this day and age with all the information why.....

I hope that there was no drinking involved and it was just a horrible accident. God help that woman if she was on the phone, texting or doing something else other than 100% concentrating on driving.

aeormsby

it pisses me off because she has been on a crusade to get bills passed for wearing seat belts and be able to pull over and ticket drivers when they have passengers not buckled. What a hypocrite! UGH, she really sickens me.

Exactly. I heard about this last week (being in Colorado) and thought about posting the story. But it just bugged me too much. Absolutely ridiculous that those kids weren't restrained in any way.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The pregnant woman had a 6 year old named Mali :eek: That's the first time I have ever seen another person with that spelling. How sad :(

mrswh

I'm in CO so I've heard a lot about this story. The excuse for the kids not being properly restrained is that the father of the kids (driver's son) had climbed in back and was putting their pajamas on. Totally ridiculous, IMO - surely you can park somewhere to do that - but I don't think she regularly sticks them in the car unrestrained. (Please note, I am in no way defending, just trying to clarify.)

I am interested to hear the details of the investigation because the senator was driving a Honda CRV and the woman who passed away was the passenger in a GMC Yukon. I'd think that a Yukon would eat a CRV for lunch, so something bizarre must have happened. I have no idea what, but I hope it had nothing to do with her being pregnant - does a seat belt work properly on a pregnant woman? I always wondered that when I was pregnant - I figured in a crash the baby would be worse off than I was since it would take the brunt of the impact. ??

Baylor

I'm in CO so I've heard a lot about this story. The excuse for the kids not being properly restrained is that the father of the kids (driver's son) had climbed in back and was putting their pajamas on. Totally ridiculous, IMO - surely you can park somewhere to do that - but I don't think she regularly sticks them in the car unrestrained. (Please note, I am in no way defending, just trying to clarify.)

I am interested to hear the details of the investigation because the senator was driving a Honda CRV and the woman who passed away was the passenger in a GMC Yukon. I'd think that a Yukon would eat a CRV for lunch, so something bizarre must have happened. I have no idea what, but I hope it had nothing to do with her being pregnant - does a seat belt work properly on a pregnant woman? I always wondered that when I was pregnant - I figured in a crash the baby would be worse off than I was since it would take the brunt of the impact. ??

That does make it interesting with the difference in cars... i am interested in what comes out of this too. If she was not wearing her seat belt in the correct position, it could definitely have caused problems. I know my dr always told me to be sure it was never on my belly at all but on my lap. I also have seen pregnant women move the belt behind them...

It is sad no matter what, But I like to hear the whole story before deciding whether someone is really to blame or it was just an accident.

keri1292

Fetuses are amazingly well protected. A seatbelt worn low where it should be will put most of the stress on a shoulder and your hips. It could just be that she was on the impacted side of the vehicle. :(

Kat_Momof3

I feel so horrible for the children and husband of the woman driving her Yukon who died... how horrible... True, the bright side is that her baby was safely delivered (but it is said he is in critical condition) and that her children were fine (I'm hoping that by "seatbelt" it means that they were in booster seats or carseats, not JUST seatbelts).

It doesn't say what happened to her husband, the driver, but I hope that he survived so that his children won't have lost two parents.

The Senator was apparently at fault as it was her vehicle that crossed the center... and because of her irresponsibility in her own car (having the kids and her son not wearing ANYTHING to protect them) as well as in general, this poor woman isn't alive to hold her baby or comfort her children.

A CRV is newer than a Yukon, I think, so that might have been why it faired better than the Yukon...
and yes, a seatbelt works very well when you are pregnant... I rearended another car when they stopped without warning just after a left turning light when I was 6mo pregnant with Damian... I was wearing my seatbelt properly and the airbag also helped keep me in position... except for some knee soreness and marks on my hands from them being thrown off the steering wheel, I was fine.... the doctor was actually surprised not to have me having any contractions... swore the airbag (they were still newer at the time to being mandatory and all) working with the seatbelt to prevent me moving as much as without the airbag and to help cushion things had to have been why.

In this case, I'm suspecting she hit the passenger side of that vehicle... or that hitting it threw the passenger side against somewhere hard.

EDITED TO ADD:
http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?list=195070&id=559919
I found this info - the Yukon ROLLED onto the driver side (you have to read quite a ways down to find that it landed on it's driver's side)

Oh... and the reason they were unbuckled... because their father had climbed back to put them in pajamas... GRRR... and they are implying that this distracted the senator and caused the crash... so much stupidity

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC