FB Pics -How to Approach?

Emi's Mommy

One of the girls I went to high school with had a baby boy about a week and a half after I had Emi. We don't keep in close contact, just FB and I attended her baby shower that was held at her parents house after baby was born. I then found out that she is the step-niece of my old boss, small world. :cool:

I was going through the pics of the shower on FB and there are a couple of her putting babe into his Graco bucket seat. It looks pretty old but might not be expired yet. It's mostly blue with green plaid pattern in the middle and on the canopy.
She has the chest clip flush with the crotch strap. Thinking that maybe it was just the angle of the pic or maybe she just hadn't pushed it up I kept looking through the pictures. Nope, there are numerous other pictures from that day and others(can tell my different outfits) where the chest chip is right next to the crotch strap. So it's not even a belly clip, it's a crotch clip!

How(or would) you go about informing her that it's unsafe? I was thinking something along the lines of an inbox message that goes "Hey I was looking at the shower pics, such a good time, I was happy to meet your LO. I noticed that the chest clip on his car seat was not in the proper position. It's supposed to be even with his armpits. Hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year"

What do you think? Or should I not get involved? I don't like overstepping my bounds as I'm really just learning about car seat safety and I don't want to seem nosy or like a know-it-all. But I do want her little guy to be safe.

ADS

Kobain's Mommy

I do from time to time comment on CS in pictures on FB. Lately I've not. I usually get "oh I moved it right after the pictures." which I know is a lie since all the CS pictures it's the same. I feel bad for saying this, but if the parents just don't care there's not much you can do. I said something to a friend who has her 9 MONTH old FFing. Her reply was "she's happier that way!"

jess71903

Ambassador
I have come to believe that the best approach on FB is to post videos or articles on YOUR FB and hope they see. Confronting someone, especially someone you don't know well, often results in getting kicked off their friends' list.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have come to believe that the best approach on FB is to post videos or articles on YOUR FB and hope they see. Confronting someone, especially someone you don't know well, often results in getting kicked off their friends' list.

:yeahthat:

Same. I just post stuff on my own wall or in my own photos. :)

canadiangie

I agree with pp. Post car seat related stuff on your page in hopes she sees it. Posting unsolicited parenting advice on her page probably won't go over well.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I honestly wouldn't expect pics from a babe in a seat at a shower to be the same as how the baby is done up in the vehicle. It's super common for people to lower the chest clip and loosen the straps when babe is in the seat in the house because they want them to be contained but they don't want them to be in all tight as if they are in the vehicle.

Emi's Mommy

Techno I wish it was just the shower pics but there is one that I can tell for sure is taken in the car.

What are some good links that I could post on my wall? I have another friend with her just 4 year old peanut of a DD who is in a NBB. Boosters are not supposed to be used until 40 pounds where we live. No way she weighs that much.

manateesmom

I personally wouldn't post on her FB wall, I'd email if you could, and I'd be direct about it. Say something like, "I'm such a carseat nerd. I just noticed that in your pics the chest clip for baby was down by the buckle. I totally did that myself when my baby was little, then realized that the chest clip is supposed to be at armpit level, like the picture that's on the clip itself. It helps position the harness to keep the baby from being ejected from the carseat if there's an accident. I'm so glad I found that out! Your little one is so cute, by the way!"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC