Those that have had a car screamer, what did you do about it?

canadiangie

I have a car screamer. I've never had a car screamer before. It doesn't matter how fed, warm, cozy, whatever she is, she *screams* in her car seat. Heck, she just cries no matter where we are, as long as she's in her car seat. I can't even buckle the harness and she's crying. It's tough because we have to go to preschool everyday (Soph, M/W/F, Emma T/R). We have errands to do, activities, and generally speaking there are times when having her in her infant seat IS easier for me. I don't expect her to stay in her seat while I'm shopping, but it would be really nice if I could drop a kid off at school without the baby crying.

She rides in a KeyFit installed at 45 degrees per the angle indicator. I'm debating switching her to the MyRide I have sitting here to see if it makes a difference. But it's cold here. Like, pretty darn cold. And she's small. I weighed her yesterday and she's 12 lbs. I do have an itty bitty fleece suit for her that fits perfectly, but I still worry about keeping her little face warm on days when it's -20C (I think that's about -8F). Right now I put the flap thingy on her shower cap style cover down when we're running from car to inside (it's never down when we're in the vehicle).

I'm rambling on and on.. sorry. I guess my question is, would you switch to a convertible during the coldest month of the year if you had a newborn?

ETA: she can be a puker, but she's not a refluxy baby, if that makes any sense at all (I realize it doesn't). What I've determined is that if I don't burp the heck out of her she will puke after a feeding. But as long as I'm careful to really burp her and make sure there are no more bubbles she is able to keep everything down. So in case anyone is wondering if it's reflux, I don't *think* so. Sophie was a reflux baby and Isabelle is quite different, mainly she is super happy and content unless she's in her darn seat, not a screamy fuss pot like refluxy babies tend to be.

ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Could she possibly have reflux? Sometimes that position of having the legs pushed up by the shape of the car seat can aggravate refluxers.

Either way, I would definitely give the convertible a try despite the weather. It's better (and safer) than having a baby screaming while you're trying to drive. Maybe she just hates that particular seat and the MR will be better. One can dream, right?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, I would try a convertible, even in those temps. When you pull her out of the seat, just toss a blanket over her, and her face will be protected from the wind by your shoulder and the blanket. :)

Keeanh

Um, ignore it and ignore everyone who's staring at you... :whistle:. I'm sorry, Angie, I don't have any helpful advice. I've had several screamers of different ages. My worst infant screamer, fortunately, would take a soother sometimes. DH called it his "plug", LOL.

AtTheSouthDam

My method was to pray for as many green lights as possible. Then the screaming was at least bearable.
It may be reflux but if she isn't have other problems I wouldn't worry too much about it. Looking back I think that was a majority of DD1 problems. She was the screamer until about 4 months old. (We had a lousy pediatrician and being a first time mom I thought all babies puked so much they soaked a dozen bibs a day.)
I've give the convertible a try. If it doesn't work, no harm done and back to the convience of the carrier. If it does then you have more peaceful car rides.

krasota

What did I do? Well, I have more gray now. :whistle:

It took him almost two years to stop screaming in the car. In DS' case, a convertible made no difference. *sigh*

littleangelfire

I avoided going places. When that failed, I made sure he was as comfy as I could make him, and then I made frequent stops to nurse. Like at least every half hour. And if we weren't in the car, he wasn't in his seat.

leighi123

Turn the radio up.

Ds screamed a lot but was better in his TrueFit vs snugride. He was also happier if he couldnt see or hear me (I guess b/c he was mad b/c he knew I was there but not picking him up)

He also HATED anything near his face, is she maybe freaked out by the shower cap cover? (try a carseat poncho maybe)

Kat_Momof3

ruthie was similar to that (though it was caused by needing to switch to soy, some of it was just a hatred for the infant seat)... switching her to a convertible seat literally ended it immediately... and she was just like Isabella... sweet and good tempered except in the infant seat.

I know you hate to switch this soon in this type of weather, so I'd probably try some things first

1. where is she sitting - middle or outboard?? if she's sitting middle, she's probably mad she can't see much... Ruthie switched from her infant bucket to a 40lb limit Evenflo Triumph, so part of it could have been that suddenly, she was up high enough to see out the back window and out the side windows... had I been able to (I had the boys in boosters at the time, before they went back to being harnessed, and the middle was a lap-only belt), I would have tried putting her outboard.

2. Pacifier - does she use one? sometimes, much like in planes, our ears pop in car rides... if she uses one, make sure it's offered and easy for you or one of the girls to pop back in her mouth if needed.

3. soft toys - even at this age, one may help her keep stimulated and occupied... especially something that smells like mommy.

4. recline... you can try decreasing it as much as her neck can tolerate without her head flopping forward... see if that also helps.

Kobain's Mommy

Mine screams while getting buckled in regardless it's a bucket or convertible. Also there is silent reflux. DS has that. He wasn't vomiting, but after he ate it sounded like he was drowning. He was drinking and growing, but still wasn't right. The Dr put him on meds and it all stopped. We then noticed he went from fighting 3oz bottles he was drinking 4-5oz.

ntrenary

I walked everywhere I could. When I had to drive I just made my DD as comfy as possible and let her scream.
I started her out in a convertible, but I did try to use a infant seat to see if that would make a difference. Nothing made a difference, she just hated the car!
She finally stopped crying in the car around a year old when I turned her FFing (shes almost 10 and I had no idea about ERFing then). I think she was probably car sick because she still gets car sick on long drives, but now she can look out the window and it helps some.

canadiangie

Thanks for all the suggestions. You all gave me things to think about... soother, maybe she hates shower cap cover, etc.

I think I will try her in the MR and see if it helps.

Jonah Baby

I turn the music up...louder.

A screams, no matter what you do. He is the only child I know that WILL NOT sleep in a car.
Do you have head rests? I would try making, out of cloth/felt.etc., a little "back drop" to hang from the head rest with bright colors, pictures, toys, soft shiny things, etc. on it for distraction.
Just a thought.

When J was a baby he really enjoyed kid music CDs in the car. Annoying, but much less so than constant screaming. J would sleep in the car and take a binky, though, which A does neither of.

canadiangie

Jonah,

So funny you mention hanging something colourful. It occured to me just a few minutes ago that I could strap some bright fabric that I have onto the headrest. :)

she will not take a soother. I've been trying for two mos now. I will keep offering it...

We already do listen to kids music...

(ps. I tried to Thank everyone but it won't let me)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would try actually changing things before resorting to "turning the radio up" (although as a very last resort, i think that's fine).
Many kids who scream in one seat won't scream in a different seat. I'd try the MR for sure, and even other seats, if you have them or can, even if it isn't the seat you planned.wanted her to be in. Definitely try things like minor angle changes (at 8 weeks, you can't do much with the angle, but in another 4-6 weeks you will be able to), pacifier, soft toy, etc.
For me personally, having a car screamer REALLY made me re-evaluate and redefine the meaning of "necesary" car usage. It uh..made me redefine how "necesary" preschool was for my older child.

scoutingbear

C was a screamer (so I've been told) when he was little. The family that had him before us (whom we are very good friends with now so I know all the ins and outs) tried having someone sit next to him whenever possible, turning up static stations on the radio, he seemed to like the static better than music, giving him a plug, giving him a soft cloth to hold. He really stopped the car screaming after 6 months when he came to us and moved to a Marathon. Hard to say if it was maturity or just a different seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC