What to do???

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok we are thinking (once again) about adding to our family. We aren't really sure what to do about the whole car thing... we figured out the whole house/bedroom/space issues... now on to the car thing.

Right now i have the 3 kidos, and my cars are the dodge intrepid (huge negitive equiaty b/c of milage, ect) and our Land rover discovery that we LOVE and would probably break even if we sold it. :(
We really don't want to get a new car, we just got the land rover a year ago. and we both really love it but HATE the gas milage, therefor i drive the intrepid more for work which is why it has high milage, ect.

So here's the thing, if we keep both cars, i/we will have to drive the Land Rover all the time when i would have all the kids, or when we all went as a family. and the only issues with that is that one of the kids would have to make the rear jump seats their permant seats. the jump seats do face foward, have L/S blets, and head rest, but only about 16 inchs of space between them and the back door/hatch... and there is NO crash test rating for thoes seats, or any seat except the driver and front passanger.
So any ideas, or any words that would ease my mind at putting a child in the back of the back LOL

ADS

southpawboston

well, statistically a rear-end collision is not very likely, and the severity is also statistically less than a front-end collision, which i'm sure you already know. that's about all i can think of.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And note that the 'third row is dangerous!' fear is also a lot to do with older vehicles with lapbelts/no headrests/few or no laws about buckling up... put your unbuckled 7 yo in the back of an 88 caravan (in your mind)... it's just not the same as in a new rover in a parkway, is it? :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I put my 6-year old in the thrid row of my MDX all the time. I am not sure how much room there is behind her but it is not much at all. I feel fine with it and don't worry. Not that it will make YOU feel better but I don't worry about it. Hehe I don't know what else to say. But adding to the family is fun!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Adding to the family is fun! LOL and my baby isn't so much of my baby any more, and i was pregant when my first two were 18 months old to wait this long has been, has been hard, well not hard b/c i've been way to busy with getting our house, and my work ect, but still i'm really ready for another one soon! LOL
When we added to the family from one kid to two kids we traded in dh's chev ext cab truck for a pt crusier and i kept my chevy caviler... then when we got pregnant with #3 we couldn't get 3 across a pt cruiser (now i know i could have had done more resurch then a trip to walmart LOL) and got the intrepid. then we just bough the land rover b/c we both wanted it and though we needed something with three rows till i say crash test/ dyamics and all that it made me leary and i started 3 across in the land rover, plus the back door opens on the drives side (as in not curb side) so pick and drop offs at school wasn't fun...
I love my land rover and keep telling myself i won't be driving as much or as far when i live in town (we live about 4 miles outside of town now) moving in town limits with in the month. Right now i have to drive to town at 8AM to take austin to school, then take abby to school at 8:20 then pick abby up at 12:00 then take her again at 12:45 (usally wait at MIL in town). Then pick them both up at school at 3PM then usally we need to make a trip into town about 3 nights out of the week for ball practice, dance, store, ect. i try to do all things in one trip but it just doens't always happen.
By the way the land rovers gas milage is 10-12 city miles and 15-18 high way miles. and my job requires i usally get between 150-350 miles every 2 weeks on my milage checks.

southpawboston

what year is your discovery? the 2006 did quite good in the euroNCAP testing. granted, there could be some differences between the euro and US market versions of the vehicle, but those would be quite minimal. also the testing is different, but it's still a good measure to go by when no other exists.

abacus2

It takes a HUGE AMOUNT of gas mileage savings to make up for the thousands usually lost in car deals. Since you have a vehicle that you like that fits your family, keep it and consider gas mileage again when you need to get a different car. Any lap/shoulder belt position with a headrest in the rear of a vehicle is a very, very safe seat.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
it's a 2004, and i think, but i'm not sure it might have GEN 3 seat belts, but according to one site i found it was fixed on '04 cars, but i can't really tell, the look ok, but with a call test i've tried they seem fine to me, but i'm not sure, we use LATCH for the seats and ds in his booster of couse using seat belt

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC