Car seat safety compaired to trampolines... LOL

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok i was thinking about getting abby a trampoline w/ net of course for her birthday... dh was like hello those things are so dangerous!!! And you are such a car seat freak, but it's ok to have a trampoline! LOL Well she's in the car a lot more then she would be on the trampoline! LOL We'll see who wins...

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Ok i was thinking about getting abby a trampoline w/ net of course for her birthday... dh was like hello those things are so dangerous!!! And you are such a car seat freak, but it's ok to have a trampoline! LOL Well she's in the car a lot more then she would be on the trampoline! LOL We'll see who wins...

Check out the ones at costco. The springs are under the mat and if you hit the net, you will not be able to come into contact with the poles holding the net up. It's supposed to be the safest trampoline on the market.

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10286663&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=

Not positive if they sell in them in the US though?

Mom2nj

We have a trampoline, and I am obssessed with how my kids ride in the car. But my DD broke her tibia and fibula on a trampoline in December while on it with her cousin that is 4 yrs older than her. They are dangerous and I will never let her on one that is larger than 8 feet with another child that is larger than her. The 8 ft trampolines bounce similar to one of those small exercise trampolines, at least ours does, seems safer to us, as we let her one it once the snow melted :eek: She was on a trampoline that was 12 ft and VERY bouncy. It was a common break in children, age range 3-6 yrs old. Basically what happened was that DD was going down while the trampoline was going up and their bones can't handle the stress and they snap. So, if you decide on a trampoline, it must be used with only 1 child on it or of the same size, even then the risk is there. Before this happened, we had the thought, well it has a cage they won't fall off and break their neck.... So now I tell everyone our story and they can take it from there.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Why not research it? I bet safekids has statistics on that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure they aren't as harmless as you think they are, but then again, I'm afraid to have a coffee table in my family room (last I heard, that's 7000 trips to the ER per year.. I hope not all the same kid :whistle: )

broken4u05

I love them and i don't care. I once was on it with the hose and my younger cousins. I was like 16 and my youngest cousin was 3. It was a lot of fun but i was young and i dont think i would do it again

becca011906

Senior Community Member
i guess i should look into it, me and my sister had one when we were younger when they were so popular (i'm 23) and before they had spring covers, or nets, or anything safe LOL, i did fall once and broke my fingers, luckly that was all i broke, but then again we didn't thing to much of it, b/c up till i was 17 i broke at least one bone a year all throuhg middle and high school, then i though i had out grown it till last spring i broke my wrist again ...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I feel fine letting Leila use one because she's learned how at gymnastics class since she was a toddler -- same rules oustide of class as in class: only 1 person at a time & always with adult supervision ... same as with a swimming pool.

BrookeSLP

I won't let my kids on one, they are really dangerous. I know so many kids that have broken bones just jumping, not even falling off.

Simplysomething

Trampolines can be dangerous. That isn't why we don't have one, but they can be. (Well, wait, um..trampolines aren't dangerous....using them in an unsafe manner is dangerous. There, better.)

It is interesting to read some of the views on safety out side of the car. Regarding trampolines, bike riding, motor cycles, food, medical issues..etc.

Just very interesting. lol

Lol'ing at the banning of the coffee tables, only because...I totally understand why. Our table has rounded edges---but when ds2 was under 3..I think closer to 2, he fell into it and busted his brow open...was gross. He had a scar there--I'm sure he still has it, but now you can't see it because it's either small enough or the eyebrow hair has finally filled in. I can still hear the sound his head made when it contacted the table.

That said, we never took the table out of the room. I don't know why. he was already past the wobbly stage. It was just an accident..gah.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Trampolines can be dangerous. That isn't why we don't have one, but they can be. (Well, wait, um..trampolines aren't dangerous....using them in an unsafe manner is dangerous. There, better.)

It is interesting to read some of the views on safety out side of the car. Regarding trampolines, bike riding, motor cycles, food, medical issues..etc.

Just very interesting. lol

Lol'ing at the banning of the coffee tables, only because...I totally understand why. Our table has rounded edges---but when ds2 was under 3..I think closer to 2, he fell into it and busted his brow open...was gross. He had a scar there--I'm sure he still has it, but now you can't see it because it's either small enough or the eyebrow hair has finally filled in. I can still hear the sound his head made when it contacted the table.

That said, we never took the table out of the room. I don't know why. he was already past the wobbly stage. It was just an accident..gah.

Eeek about your kiddo! But you know, stuff happens, it's life...I have plenty of dangers lurking in my house...you're right, it's kind of interesting to see what scares each of us and what we are most cautious about, given that we are all car safety freaks (um...I say no to trampolines, but yes to slip and slides... is that bad? :cool: :eek: )

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Can home owners insurance actully deny or cancel you for having a trampoline??? can't you just take all responsiblity and say that it's all on your medical issurance if your child gets hurt... i guess if another child got hurt on it then it could be an issue by hopefully their insurance would cover it then... humm i mean it's kinda like our insurance refused to cover anything that happend if our dobermen would attach (fat chances of that happening big baby) b/c of a policy thier company has against thoes dogs, we could still own it and be covered just not the dog. although they would cover if our dalmation (more likely since he's deaf and can be staretled/scarde easily) attacked someone... it's so dumb sometimes

southpawboston

OLOL Well she's in the car a lot more then she would be on the trampoline! LOL We'll see who wins...

that logic is flawed... just because she's on the trampoline a lot less does not make it safe. that's like saying we walk everywhere or take the subway, and only drive the car one short 5 mile trip per week... so we don't need to worry about safety, our chances of an accident or slim. :confused:

ThreeBeans

Can home owners insurance actully deny or cancel you for having a trampoline??? can't you just take all responsiblity and say that it's all on your medical issurance if your child gets hurt... i guess if another child got hurt on it then it could be an issue by hopefully their insurance would cover it then... humm i mean it's kinda like our insurance refused to cover anything that happend if our dobermen would attach (fat chances of that happening big baby) b/c of a policy thier company has against thoes dogs, we could still own it and be covered just not the dog. although they would cover if our dalmation (more likely since he's deaf and can be staretled/scarde easily) attacked someone... it's so dumb sometimes

Yes, if your homeowner's insurance found out you had a trampoline, they would have the legal right to immediately cancel your policy.

broken4u05

O and a different time my cousin fell off and hit his head. He had to have staples in his head like 6 of them... But again i still like them. I want to buy one for me

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC