Story about woman not able to rd her child on plane..

Baylor

Did you see this? The flight attendant refused to let her install it rfing and made her turn it around or get off the plane for her 11 month old..

Idgit.. Aren't they supposed to be aware of safety seat regs?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/114409/mom_told_ditch_the_car

and for what it is worth, I would never have caved. I would have asked for the supervisor got off the plane and made a huge deal about them not knowing their flight rules..

Last edited:
ADS

HEVY

Unfortunately, most likely, if she had argued she may have been kicked off the flight, even if she had the proof with her. This happens all the time.

Baylor

I would have gladly asked to leave the plane. It is one thing to be crazy it is another thing to be right and have someone make a bad and wrong decision about your childs safety..

firemomof3

I travel southwest and have never had a problem using a rf seat and thankgoodness for that. I would have made such a scene!

fyrfightermomma

I saw the news segment about this. Kudos to mom about knowing her seat doesn't forward face and showing him the FAA sticker. Most parents wouldn't have a clue. And they showed a pic of her buckled and she looked like it was used correctly!

Not sure what I would have done in that situation. I wouldn't want my infant FFing in an infant seat, but I also wouldn't want to be kicked off the flight.

Good thing I don't fly :p

TiaxMarie

This exact thing happened to a tech I work with at inspection stations. She was made to gate check her seat. I'm not sure, but in the end I think she made them replace the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This exact thing happened to a tech I work with at inspection stations. She was made to gate check her seat. I'm not sure, but in the end I think she made them replace the seat.
Yeah, Jodi (she's even a mod here, lol), and it was on the way home from Lifesavers (that's a huge conference for cops and cpst's to go learn about traffic safety issues). She DID get them to replace the seat...and fortunately they admitted they were wrong to her during the flight, though it was too late to get the seat out of the cargo hold at that point (but at least maybe it was better for the next passenger with that problem....).

Every time I think I won't hear about this happening again, it does, I don't get what's wrong with flight attendant training on this issue :( (there's no installing a seat on a rearfacing vehicle seat, and it seems people read that and confuse a rearfacing child restraint with a rearfacing vehicle seat and then disallow rearfacing child restraints...)

Baylor

Yeah, Jodi (she's even a mod here, lol), and it was on the way home from Lifesavers (that's a huge conference for cops and cpst's to go learn about traffic safety issues). She DID get them to replace the seat...and fortunately they admitted they were wrong to her during the flight, though it was too late to get the seat out of the cargo hold at that point (but at least maybe it was better for the next passenger with that problem....).

Every time I think I won't hear about this happening again, it does, I don't get what's wrong with flight attendant training on this issue :( (there's no installing a seat on a rearfacing vehicle seat, and it seems people read that and confuse a rearfacing child restraint with a rearfacing vehicle seat and then disallow rearfacing child restraints...)

That is what concerns me.. If they don't have the basic safety rules and restraint laws down.. who knows what else they don't know..

I hope the airline gets lots of crap about it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Southwest told me I had to FF my 1 1/2 year old on one of our flights last time I flew. I politely told them that I was willing to comply with their instructions (so they wouldn't kick me off-- it was a convertible too), but it was my understanding that it was up to teh parent which way it faced, and would they please show me where it said that in the manual? They checked the manual and came and apologized and said I was right.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Southwest told me I had to FF my 1 1/2 year old on one of our flights last time I flew. I politely told them that I was willing to comply with their instructions (so they wouldn't kick me off-- it was a convertible too), but it was my understanding that it was up to teh parent which way it faced, and would they please show me where it said that in the manual? They checked the manual and came and apologized and said I was right.

That's probably the best way a person could handle it. If you respond politely and request to see the manual, they are much more likely to comply than if you stubbornly refuse to accept what they are saying.

I'm not sure that I personally would be able to hold my temper because flying with children is stressful enough as it is without being harassed about your seat.

oxeye

I've been told multiple times that I would have to FF my car seat on a plane. Never with the infant seat, but at least three times with the Coccoro and on different airlines (Southwest and US Airways). I always said politely that I've read the FAA regulations, I can use this seat RF, and that my child is only 19 pounds (he was anywhere from 21-24 pounds at the time) as I showed them the stickers on the seat with the weight limits. ;)

Only once did a flight attendant continue to push the issue, but fortunately another one was walking by who jumped in and let her know that she was mistaken.

I've had more instances where the flight attendants praise me for buying a seat for my under 2 child, however - and then wanted to know all about the Coccoro because they could see how awesome it is for travel. :love:

I hope that mom gets her money back, the car seat replaced, and a HUGE apology.

jessi f

Yuck. This happened to me once when DS was little. I didnt have my manual with me (oops :eek: ) but I just kept showing them the stickers and telling them he was under one. Finally another attendant came up and said it was fine RF. It's so awkward and embarrasing to be standing there with everyone else looking at you like your some idiot that's just wasting their time.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

This is what I did, but change out 1.5 year old for 3.5 year old. The flight attendant had a gate agent watch me so I would comply. I turned it forward while she checked, then turned it back when I was right (after bloodying my hands, it was a Britax Wizard). She said that in 38 years she learned something new.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And politely ask to see it where it says in the manual for yourself, so that way you know [ahem, they know] for the future.

This doesn't work on international flights. I've seen in the British Midlands manual where it's NOT allowed.

Wendy

dawnp15

I've never had to fly with any of my LO's, but i think if this were to happen to me i would handle it the same way KQ did. I'm not one to make a huge scene and start yelling. I think it's good to stay calm but still get your point across!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If I had paid for a seat for my child (the baby in the story), brought a clearly RF only seat, and they refused to let me use it, you bet they'd be refunding me the full purchase price of the unused seat first of all. Then, they could replace my car seat since I no longer know the history of it. I would be LIVID! The seat clearly cannot be used forward-facing, the person actually PAID for a seat for a child under 2. Good grief airlines! Get your regulations straight.

I'm glad to know that I should carry copies if/when I ever do fly with my littles. I'd probably let the 3 1/2yo ride FF on the plane but not my 18mo. Maybe I'd carry the Nautilus for my 6yo just to spite them:evil grin:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC