Seats for Nanny Car

scoutingbear

In just a couple weeks I'll be going back to work. :eek: Since our nanny will have to transport at least C and M (C to school and extra curricular activities) and occasionally A, I need to figure out what seats to get for her. Ideally I would like her to have her own set that can double as spares at our house so keeping it as inexpensive as possible is great. She drives a 2 door mitsubishi something or other...older model but it does have front air bags that can't be turned off. Only has 2 seatbelts in the back seat so someone will have to go in front when she has all 3. Anyway, the kids are:
C 4 1/2 years, 43" 48lbs. Has been booster training in HB Turbo but still rides harnessed in GN and Radian. Also has RSTV.
M 5 months, 24 1/2", 10 lbs 10 oz. Tiny torso. Rides in CCO, RN, and Scenera
A 6 1/2 (7 in Feb). Usually rides in HB Turbo and uses RSTV for carpool situations.

Suggestions? A will be in the car the least...mostly just school pick up and once a week to church (2 miles away) for CCD classes.

ADS

MissAllyLou

Would it be possible to just switch cars with her? Some people are okay with switching cars, some are not.

Otherwise, I'm thinking (but don't really know) that the backseat is pretty small, so I would try to get a Radian for C and a CCO for M for the backseat. When A needs to be in the car, front seat pushed as far back as possible with the RSTV. Would A fit in a Nautilus? That could be a possibility too, harnessed....the base would lift him up higher off the seat and possibly position the airbag better.

scoutingbear

Switching cars isn't an option as I will be traveling from site to site for my job and need my supplies in my trunk. I am thinking I will try our CCO for M in the nanny's car. Dh doesn't have her in the car all that often and if it works, dh can still have it back on weekends or, if I will be late and he is home early, they can switch it back. As for C, I might just booster him with her...we'll see though. A does not fit in the GN harnessed anymore. I could use it as a booster or he has a turbo or the RSTV...but he will get the front seat because whatever he is in will need to be moved for access to the back seat for the younger 2.

MissAllyLou

Would you be comfortable with A in the front seat in a booster, with an airbag? If so, I still like the idea of the Nautilus, just because of how tall it is. It will probably suck to move in order to get the other two in the back, but the taller he is in the seat, the better the airbag will protect (rather than harm) him.

Evolily

I'm wondering (really, just thinking out loud) if a backless booster might be preferable in the front seat, as it allows the child to sit farther away from the airbag? I think it was suggest on the blog that backless boosters may reduce head excursion due to the child's back being flat against the seat. It seems like, if he CAN sit properly in a backless, that might be the ideal seat for this situation given that the babysitter will only have him occasionally.

MissAllyLou

I'm wondering (really, just thinking out loud) if a backless booster might be preferable in the front seat, as it allows the child to sit farther away from the airbag? I think it was suggest on the blog that backless boosters may reduce head excursion due to the child's back being flat against the seat. It seems like, if he CAN sit properly in a backless, that might be the ideal seat for this situation given that the babysitter will only have him occasionally.

Good point, I forgot about that!

scoutingbear

I can easily take the back off of one of our turbos for A. Thanks! Hadn't thought about that. M and C are easier (I think). Especially if the Scenera will fit M...then I can buy a new seat for my dad's car for her! :D I will try C first in a harnessed seat...most likely GN before doing the HBB.

Kat_Momof3

you know, I'd probably have A use the backless booster or RSTV for the times he has to go... keep him as far away from the airbag as possible...

then just worry about what will work best/most easily for the other two.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC