Those rf third rows?

VoodooChile

I'm not in the market or anything, but I was just wondering about this...
I remember awhile back, someone posted a link to a new car that had a rear-facing third row. I think it had boosters or something built in, but say it didn't. Theoretically, could kids then rf to 65 lbs (or top weight limit or the seat they have) b/c it's technically a ff install? While we're speculating, would the harness go above or below the shoulders, and would the seat be outgrown by height when the top of the head was even with the top of the seat, or the tips of the ears?
Just for fun, since it got me thinking.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not in the market or anything, but I was just wondering about this...
I remember awhile back, someone posted a link to a new car that had a rear-facing third row. I think it had boosters or something built in, but say it didn't. Theoretically, could kids then rf to 65 lbs (or top weight limit or the seat they have) b/c it's technically a ff install? While we're speculating, would the harness go above or below the shoulders, and would the seat be outgrown by height when the top of the head was even with the top of the seat, or the tips of the ears?
Just for fun, since it got me thinking.

So this is just a theoretical 'if it were ok to install a carseat on a rearfacing vehicle seat' question? (Have you seen the new 2008 Grand Caravan? RF middle seats!!!!).

If you were taking your hypothetical child and putting them in a hypothetically FF carseat in a hypothetically rearfacing vehicle seat, you'd put the harness above the shoulders, because the child would be sitting upright, the seat back would absorb the hypothetical crash forces, and if said child and car were in a rear crash, you'd want the straps above the shoulders to prevent head excursion. There'd be no 'rotation downwards' and ramping up like there is in a real RF seat on an FF vehicle seat. Make sense? Hypothetically? :whistle:

Chameleon

No, I don't think that was it. I remember what she was talking about. It's a new SUV or Van, not sure what, but it had a rear facing third row option with build in boosters I think that went up to max 50lbs.

Edited with the link and correct info. -- Sturdy auxiliary rear seat safely holds two children up to 55 inches tall and weighing 50-88 lbs (22-40 kg) each. Equipped with 3-point seat belts that adjust automatically to each child. Includes an integrated head restraint that can be raised and lowered for comfort. Seats are color-coordinated and easy to clean. Cannot be combined with Subwoofer or Steel Cargo Barrier. Note: pre-coded lock cylinder not included. See retailer for details.
http://www.volvocars.us/models/Accessories/XC70/

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Little confused here. You're not allowed to install carseat in a rear facing seat. Are you talking about a different product?

Wendy

emandbri

There aren't any cars with rear-facing seats with built in boosters but the seats are designed for kids so kids can fit in them without a booster. A friend of mine had a ford taurus wagon and don't remember the weights you could use in the back I think maybe 40 to 100 lbs. My older two rode there a few times and fit well they would have been around 6 and 4 at the time. Also since kids are supposed to be there I think the sides are re-inforced so they aren't in the crumple zone of the car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There aren't any cars with rear-facing seats with built in boosters but the seats are designed for kids so kids can fit in them without a booster. A friend of mine had a ford taurus wagon and don't remember the weights you could use in the back I think maybe 40 to 100 lbs. My older two rode there a few times and fit well they would have been around 6 and 4 at the time. Also since kids are supposed to be there I think the sides are re-inforced so they aren't in the crumple zone of the car.

Yeah... the ones that are factory built have specific low limits, to fit children without boosters, and are in passenger compartments (not crushing cargo space). :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC