SUV rolls 8 times - mother killed, baby unhurt

ADS

MsFacetious

This happens a lot actually. There was one a couple years ago I think... a young mother and her friend were going like 80mph and ran into a tree. Car was severed in half but baby who was correctly restrained in an infant seat in the back lived.

That baby will be what gets her Dad through this. I'm glad someone at least took the time to restrain her correctly. And it's amazing to me that anyone can survive that kind of accident in the first place.

Yoshi

Very sad- yet amazing that the baby was ok. However, that is the #1 reason I will not drive an SUV- too many roll-overs for swerving/overcompensating. Tire blow-outs happen, and vehicles shouldn't roll over when it does happen.

drjanetm

I just don't understand what's so hard about putting on a seatbelt. Especially since she obviously went to the effort of buckling her daughter safely into her car seat, which would take longer than the whole seatbelt for herself...

How many stories do people need to see/hear before they realise wearing a seatbelt is a good idea?

Is there a link to the news article? Just wondering what happened? Kind of sounds like everyone else saw it on the news? (I was out of town this weekend)

MsFacetious

Ummm I started the thread and included a link but my post is gone now?

I have no idea maybe I wasn't supposed to post the link... just go to google news and google Young Mother's Death Drives School To Act.

southpawboston

Very sad- yet amazing that the baby was ok. However, that is the #1 reason I will not drive an SUV- too many roll-overs for swerving/overcompensating. Tire blow-outs happen, and vehicles shouldn't roll over when it does happen.

amen to that! ESC does help, and seems to be most useful on big, top-heavy SUVs compared with smaller, lower vehicles, but ESC can not prevent all rollovers. there is NO REASON why a car should roll over because of a blow out. just shows you that technology can't always help you... sometimes there are vehicle designs that are just inherently more prone to rollovers than others. too bad the article didn't mention the make and model of the SUV that lost control (why do they leave out details like that??!!)

MsFacetious

There is also a good chance that inexperience of the driver had something to do with it. I've had more than one blow out in SUV's and I haven't rolled one yet. :)

So, I think that has something to do with it too. (I've only had my liscense for 6 years but I've driven about 100 thousand miles each of those years, most 20 year old drivers don't have the experience to handle a blow out in an SUV.)

It really comes down to preference... I'd rather be in a bigger vehicle if possible. After that Honda vs my Dad's dodge incident on Christmas...where the Honda was totalled and my Dad's truck just had a little paint transfer... I'm convinced. :)

But that's just me, I've always liked big trucks. :)

skaterbabs

amen to that! ESC does help, and seems to be most useful on big, top-heavy SUVs compared with smaller, lower vehicles, but ESC can not prevent all rollovers. there is NO REASON why a car should roll over because of a blow out. just shows you that technology can't always help you... sometimes there are vehicle designs that are just inherently more prone to rollovers than others. too bad the article didn't mention the make and model of the SUV that lost control (why do they leave out details like that??!!)

Not to mention, that had the mother been wearing her SEAT BELT she would probably be alive ANYWAY.
Don't blame the SUV or lack of ESC - blame the idiot who CHOSE to not BUCKLE UP. :twocents:

southpawboston

There is also a good chance that inexperience of the driver had something to do with it. I've had more than one blow out in SUV's and I haven't rolled one yet. :)

So, I think that has something to do with it too. (I've only had my liscense for 6 years but I've driven about 100 thousand miles each of those years, most 20 year old drivers don't have the experience to handle a blow out in an SUV.)

It really comes down to preference... I'd rather be in a bigger vehicle if possible. After that Honda vs my Dad's dodge incident on Christmas...where the Honda was totalled and my Dad's truck just had a little paint transfer... I'm convinced. :)

But that's just me, I've always liked big trucks. :)

inexperience certainly may have had something to do with it. this is why i recommend professional driving schools for inexperienced drivers. they would learn how to react properly in a situation like that. if i had a teenage driver, i'd spend $3000 in a heartbeat to get him or her trained to be a real driver at a professional driver's school (where you take cars on a closed course and push them past the limits to actually learn from experience how to handle a car that has lost control). i'd rather spend my money that way and put them in a safe, small car than put that money toward a more expensive SUV for him or her to drive.

but, you have to consider that there a LOTS of inexperienced drivers out there, and there's a big misconception out there that driving ability doesn't matter... as long as you're in a big, save SUV. not always the case.

plus, not all SUVs are the same. you may have a very safe one. but in general, it's pretty well documented that they are more roll-prone than cars which have a lower center of gravity. ESC helps in this regard, but it can't prevent all rollover situations.

and yes, it does come down to preference. big SUV = safer upon impact, but more prone to losing control. small car = less safe upon impact, but more prone to stay in control. it's a matter of preference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC